U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 AM

22 posts, read 16,097 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your replies!

Since I have started asking this, I have been told San Diego County several times. You have seconded this for me.
I will look into these areas.

Also, yes. I hear there is way too much crime in Southern Arizona. Its nice that you can go to the coast in Mexico, though.

Have a Great Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM

3,116 posts, read 4,088,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown tomatoes View Post
bouncethelight, thank you for much area info. Wondering about Poway and Ramona (you can take the "Sprinter" to the beach, right?)
If you live in Escondido, or anywhere along the route, it's a great option - but if you have to drive to it from Ramona or Poway, you might as well just drive all the way to the beach. In Los Angeles County traffic is heavy, and taking the train can save you LOTS of time. But in San Diego county, it's not like that. It would likely take you more time and effort than it would be worth to park and wait for the next train, and then do the same thing coming back.

Quote:
Also I think that Fallbrook(?) has the slogan something like, California's last Hometown?
I lived there for 15 years, and only left 2 years ago, and I never heard that slogan? The traditional slogan is "Avocado Capital of the World" - which it used to be, but those days are long gone. The also use "The Friendly Village" a lot. There's a small quaint downtown area, lots of oak trees, and it's definitely an art-friendly town - there's even a Fallbrook Film Festival that attracts entries from all over. 4-H still exists at the high school, and there's a great parade each December where almost every kid in town is either in the parade or watching it. It's a lot of fun!

Quote:
Idyllwild is an artist's colony, and apples (yum) grow in Julian, yes?? Are there major water issues up in the hills, too, or just for the big cities?
Idyllwild has a very fine private high school for the arts that attracts serious students from all over the world. And both Idyllwild and Julian have lots of artists around town, but tourism is the major economic engine. On weekends both downtown Idyllwild and downtown Julian attract lots of local tourists - they stay in the local bed and breakfasts, or cabins, eat at the nicer restaurants, and wander around town looking at the local stores. They also hike, and take photos, and in Idyllwild they go rock climbing! But during the week, it's quiet downtown, and the locals all know each other - VERY small town atmosphere.

As for water, I've never lived in Julian, but in Idyllwild there is definitely a limited amount of water - and in dry years they practice conservation. The big cities may talk about conservation, but in Idyllwild they actually practice it. They have to!

The big difference between Idyllwild and Julian though is in elevation. Idyllwild has mostly pine, cedar and fewer oak tress - and gets more of snow. Julian has more oaks, and fewer pines, and gets less snow.

Quote:
The San Diego area sounds much better than the L.A. area, that's for sure!
The LA area ends before you get to the more rural areas - if you want rural east of Los Angeles, you're getting into Riverside or San Bernardino Counties. I love LA, but it doesn't sound like what you're looking for!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,841,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Bakersfield.
LOL

Buck Owens Streets Of Bakersfield Original Version - YouTube

Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,136,790 times
Somewhere near San Diego.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM

10,382 posts, read 17,127,817 times
I'd pick San Luis Obispo or Atascadero. My favorite area of California.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Thank you so much for your replies!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Sampaguita, I agree, Santa Barbara is unique. I don't know much about the area south of there.
Funny, years ago, I drove from Salinas down through San Louis Obispo (friendly, everyone seemed happy there, but damp and chilly-foggy) to a small beautiful inland area called Santa Ynez.
This place was incredible - hills, horses, patches of knee-high corn in May... We stopped at this little real estate office, and well the guy (dressed in 'casual western' attire, of course!) practically laughed us out of town.
He sent us to see a half-million-dollar place -- an abandoned walnut orchard. The trees were neglected, and you couldn't do anything else with that land for a long time, since walnuts emit a root toxin to keep competing plants away. What would I do with that?
Turns out all those horses weren't just people's horses who have horses, these were multi-million-dollar breeding ranches. I thought I was so smart because I was looking in a rural area, really far from the city. Humble pie for me! Even if I had millions (I don't), It seemed would never fit in there. And I never looked further south.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Default What town in California, Nevada, or Arizona is most like The South?

Hello,

I am new to city-data and I need some advise.
For family reasons, I need to move to within a day's drive of relatives who live near the CA Central Coast and in Northern AZ.
Also, according to the doctor, a dry climate is good for my health.

(I live in the Pacific Northwest now, big mistake for me.)

So, I figure Southern California, Southern Nevada, or Western Arizona would be about right in where I need to be geographically, but I don't know what part would fit best.
Here's where I need help:

I was born in the desert and grew up mostly in East Texas. Even though it was kind of suburban, we went camping or out to the shore every chance we got. We knew all our neighbors - they were actually out every evening taking a stroll in shirtsleeves - and we rode our bikes almost all year.

The best times of my life were in Texas Texarkana, Louisiana, and Florida... gulf coast in general. I love gardening, and my favorite sport is swimming at rivers and warm beaches. I miss the real summer rainstorms!

Farms around are great, farms within city limits are even better, and really intense urban density or lack of trees makes me feel down.
I just do better with a friendly, slower pace of life.

Most of all, I want my kid to grow up outdoors, climbing trees, fed on BBQ.

Anyone lived in both regions? What worked and what didn't?

Lake Mead seems like a good place to fish / swim? Is there a laid-back, slower element to Las Vegas also (I heard there are a lot of rodeo / western events), or is it more all glitz (the strip)?
Henderson / Boulder City?
Also, I see the county fairgrounds are in Logandale and some farms in Moapa. How are these small towns? Are they more like Utah or Nevada? Otherwise, on Google Maps, there seems to be an abrupt end to town, not fading out to ranches. I see there is one cool u-pick farm, Gilchrist (sp?).

Anyone out there who loves smaller towns living near Las Vegas? Any input is appreciated. Even if I am waaay off base, please tell me. at least I tried.

I know I cannot expect one place to be just like another, I just want to take my best shot at it.

It has taken me a lot of years to realize that happiness is not too much to ask for. It is better for everyone around you too!

Thank you all for any help!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM

2,628 posts, read 2,536,042 times
san diego is a pretty expensive place to live, depending on your wants. it is also plagued by water shortages (they import nearly all of their water from N.California). depending on who you speak to they will either say they are in a long-time drought (who isn't down here) or they are experiencing a water crisis that will only get worse. the city itself calls it a crisis. i had friends there who had to shut the water off from their house periodically because the fines for water use were so high it was the only way they could remember not to use. they'd fill their bathtubs and use that water during rationing

unfortunately TX and AZ aren't any better about necessary resources

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM

170 posts, read 165,440 times
Default visit 1st

Fresno,CA
Flagstaff,AZ
Silver City,NM

and try the C-D threads

Last edited by cal-eta; 08-24-2011 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City