Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:17 PM

22 posts, read 33,621 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to city-data and I need some advise.
For family reasons, I need to move to within a day's drive of relatives near the CA Central Coast and in Northern AZ.
Also, according to the doctor, a dry climate is good for my health.

(I live in the Pacific Northwest now, big mistake.)

So, I figure Southern California, Southern Nevada, or Western Arizona would be about right in where I need to be, but I don't know what part would fit best.
Here's where I need help:

I was born in the desert and grew up mostly in East Texas. Even though it was kind of suburban, we went camping or out to the shore every chance we got. We knew all our neighbors - they were actually out every evening taking a stroll in shirtsleeves - and we rode our bikes almost all year.
The best times of my life were in Texas Texarkana, Louisiana, and Florida... gulf coast in general. I love gardening, and my favorite sport is swimming at rivers and warm beaches. I miss the real summer rainstorms!

Farms around are great, farms within city limits are even better, and really intense urban density or lack of trees makes me feel down.
I just do better with a friendly, slower pace of life.

Most of all, I want my kid to grow up outdoors, climbing trees, fed on BBQ.

Anyone lived in both regions? What worked and what didn't?
I know I cannot expect one place to be just like another, I just want to take my best shot at it.

It has taken me a lot of years to realize that happiness is not too much to ask for. It is better for everyone around you too!

Thank you all for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Default If you were moving to California or the Southwest, which town would you pick?

Hello,

For family reasons, I need to move to within a day's drive of relatives near the CA Central Coast and in Northern AZ.

So, I figure Southern California, Southern Nevada, or Western Arizona would be about right in where I need to be geographically, but I don't know what part would fit best.

I was born in the desert and grew up mostly in East Texas. Even though it was kind of suburban, we went camping or out to the shore every chance we got. We knew all our neighbors - they were actually out every evening taking a stroll in shirtsleeves - and we rode our bikes almost all year.

The best times of my life were in Texas Texarkana, Louisiana, and Florida... gulf coast in general. I love gardening, and my favorite sport is swimming at rivers and warm beaches. I miss the real summer rainstorms!

Farms around are great, farms within city limits are even better, and really intense urban density or lack of trees makes me feel down.

I know I cannot expect one place to be just like another, I just want to take my best shot at it.

It has taken me a lot of years to realize that happiness is not too much to ask for. It is better for everyone around you too!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Default If you were moving to California or the Southwest, which town would you pick?

Hello,

So, I figure Southern California, Southern Nevada, or Western Arizona would be about right in where I need to be geographically, but I don't know what part would fit best.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
San Diego, hands down. Takes some serious scratch to retire there, but San Diego.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
I've lived in Santa Barbara. I'd have stayed there if I could have convinced the then new hubs to buy us a 900k, 700sf condo (the one I was renting). No dice.

Some of my best 30-something memories are out of SB - if I had the $$$, I'd go back in a heart beat.

If you're looking for dry climate though, the central coast (unless you go way inland over the mountain ranges) might not be the best choice. Pretty wet there as far as moisture from the ocean permeating the air. Not like the humidity here though.

eta: And yes - San Diego - I lived there as well. It's drier imo than Santa Barbara or anywhere else on the central coast. A little more affordable than Santa Barbara. I'd move back there in a heart beat, too. (and no...that's NOT a slam at Houston.)

Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown tomatoes View Post
I love gardening,
Gardening in Southern California is great! Especially if you're in the zone that's about a half-hour to an hour away from the coast. Plenty of sun, but not too hot, just add water and you can grow amazing things!

Quote:
and my favorite sport is swimming at rivers and warm beaches.
Our beaches here are cold - not that different than what you're experiencing now in the Pacific Northwest. And the rivers near where I live are all fed by melted snow - so they're either cold, or they're very low in volume. I don't know anyone who actually swims in rivers around here. That said, it may be different farther north, I only know about San Diego and Riverside counties.

Quote:
I miss the real summer rainstorms!
We don't get many of those, but I agree, they're fun when they happen!

Quote:
Farms around are great, farms within city limits are even better,
Definitely need to head inland for farms. But not too far inland, because then you'll hit desert! Central California has lots of farms, but if you look hard enough you can still find some in Southern California as well.

Quote:
and really intense urban density or lack of trees makes me feel down.
There are towns like Fallbrook, which is in Northern San Diego County, with lots of trees - usually towns that are located in an area with lots of hills, and valleys, and sort of near the coast, so that the coastal fog rolls in and sticks, allowing the trees to get enough water to survive. But you'll have to seek out places like that - they're the hidden gems in an area!

Quote:
I don't have a specific place I would suggest for you to look at - just general info - hopefully others will have ideas for specific cities!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Hate Southern California. Wouldn't live there if you gave me free rent -- seriously. Great weather, great amenities, lousy public policies, lousy people.

Grew up in Phoenix, but the only Arizona city I'd ever consider living in again is Flagstaff. Rest of the state is garbage -- couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
If you haven't already, I would repost this in the California, Nevada, and Arizona forums. You'll probably get more responses there.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I would move to the only city that I've been to in the SouthWest.

Tucson, Arizona
and you'd be 200miles from Puerto Peñasco, Mexico

Puerto Penasco

Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Bakersfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City