U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Austin
Minneapolis 101 65.16%
Austin 54 34.84%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 PM

3,775 posts, read 3,434,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
As far as climate goes... Texas is in an extreme drought, Minnesota isn't .
Yes..but texas is doing perfectly fine right now. Also, lets not dis-reguard the fact that texas gets plenty of rain throughout the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM

10,548 posts, read 8,525,700 times
I voted Mpls. I've heard the winters aren't that long and the people seem really smart and nice.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,521,989 times
I voted Minneapolis. Another criteria they could have put in was professional sports. Minneapolis has the Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves and the Lynx WNBA team. Pro hockey's Wild play about 12 miles away in St. Paul.

Texas is a crowded market for sports and there are three other cities larger than Austin (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio...not sure about Fort Worth), so Austin is at a disadvantage. I'll basically give them a point for the Spurs as San Antonio is just 80 miles away, but Minneapolis offers more.

As to the weather, call it even. There are more 90+ degree days in Austin than there are days below freezing (32 degrees) in Minneapolis in a typical year.

I have nothing significant to add about the other categories. Both cities have plentiful restaurants, culture and nightlife.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM

14 posts, read 17,291 times
I'm shocked at the poll results. Why would anyone want to live in such a cold, frigid place like Minneapolis?

Austin>Minneapolis any day of the year.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM

874 posts, read 605,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The people's champ View Post
I'm shocked at the poll results. Why would anyone want to live in such a cold, frigid place like Minneapolis?

Some people prefer Minneapolis' cold over Austin's summer heat. Goes back to if you would rather live in a city with cold winters with great summers or a city with great winters and hot summers.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,135,494 times
Quote:

ughhhhhhhhh

Let's talk again in July when it's 99 in Austin and 82 in Minneapolis.

The first warm day of spring in the northern latitudes makes up for every day of cold and beats every single warm winter day in the South. There is nothing on this earth that is more beautiful and worthwhile than spring in the North.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 AM

686 posts, read 1,785,318 times
Austin is my kind of city, and I wouldn't live anywhere else except maybe Winnipeg.
That being said, Minneapolis is much more well-rounded in every regard. It's not even close.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 AM

595 posts, read 338,743 times
Quote:

Haha. Austin is one of the most overrated cities in the US. I've been there a few times and all I can say is that it's a nice place to visit for a long weekend, but don't ever visit for a week or more. It's a nice city, but I guess I expected too much.

Minneapolis (even with its extreme weather) wins out easily.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 PM

71 posts, read 35,093 times
Based on the most recent census data people are choosing Austin TX by an overwhelming margin.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM

837 posts, read 601,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout0417 View Post
Based on the most recent census data people are choosing Austin TX by an overwhelming margin.
I don't understand what you're getting at (actually I do, but it doesn't make sense). By that logic Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix must be the best cities in the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City