Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these liberal meccas do you prefer?
Portland 13 35.14%
Denver 24 64.86%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times

Advertisements

Denver a liberal mecca? While Denver is more liberal than the rest of Colorado, Boulder excepted, Denver is nowhere near as liberal as Portland. And the state of Oregon, generally, is much more liberal than the state of Colorado.

In short, the two cities are not very similar at all. Denver's a rugged, outdoorsy, libertarian-ish city with conservative suburbs in a conservative state with a lot of midwestern ambiance and charm.

Portland is a west-coast, latte-sipping, hipster mecca that is a uniformly liberal city in a liberal state with center-left suburbs like Beaverton.

I've lived in both states (I was in Corvallis) and Denver is much more different from Portland than you'd probably expect. Denver might be strongly Democratic, but it's no more of a liberal mecca than Houston, Cleveland, or St. Louis. Like the poster above said, Boulder is very similar to Portland. But Denver is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
I prefer Portland to Denver. Of course, it didn't help that while I was in Denver, I stayed at the motel 6 near the ghetto.

Denver women were much more comely than Portland's.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM

292 posts, read 752,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Denver a liberal mecca? While Denver is more liberal than the rest of Colorado, Boulder excepted, Denver is nowhere near as liberal as Portland. And the state of Oregon, generally, is much more liberal than the state of Colorado.

In short, the two cities are not very similar at all. Denver's a rugged, outdoorsy, libertarian-ish city with conservative suburbs in a conservative state with a lot of midwestern ambiance and charm.

Portland is a west-coast, latte-sipping, hipster mecca that is a uniformly liberal city in a liberal state with center-left suburbs like Beaverton.

I've lived in both states (I was in Corvallis) and Denver is much more different from Portland than you'd probably expect. Denver might be strongly Democratic, but it's no more of a liberal mecca than Houston, Cleveland, or St. Louis. Like the poster above said, Boulder is very similar to Portland. But Denver is not.
The Portland area has a lot more redneck elements than you'd imagine. And most of Oregon, outside of Portland and Eugene, is Republican. Albeit, the population density in the rest of the state is low, so Oregon usually goes Democrat (by a hair).

But look at this map of presidential election results in Oregon by county in 2004:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sident.svg.png

Compare that to this for Colorado (sorry for the size difference):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orado_2004.PNG

Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Oregon isn't really a liberal state. The size of Portland skews the whole voting demographic, but outside of the Portland metro or few enclaves like Eugene or smaller places like Hood River or Ashland, Oregon has plenty of Republicans. Oregon historically has had a mix of libertarian sentiments and moderate Republicans like Tom McCall. Even the greater Portland Metro is a mix--once you get into Clackamas County, it's largely Republican in a lot of areas.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:

Why don't you just invest in some ad space already? Do you really feel the need to paint Denver (and Colorado in general) as a conservative region in every single one of your posts? The news is already out. Denver is a progressive city that will continue to attract progressive people.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:06 PM

63 posts, read 273,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
What? All I was saying was that there were other major cities near Portland that you could take a weekend trip to, as opposed to Denver which is far more isolated. (Colorado Springs is not in the same league as Seattle and Vancouver).
It seems alot of people are reading my post backward. Its completely my fault. But yes portland is much closer to many bigger cities, (seattle san francisco)and that is what i meant to convey in my post. However, while the outdoor activities in portland are excellent and varied, i gotta go with colorado. In portland There is lots to do but few people ever seems to want to do any of it unless it is 100 degrees out, so many recreation sites are closed in the rainy season, and packed in the summer (not in the rockies, we used to go snow camping in january) The cascades are amazing but small, and there are severely limited amounts of public land and state parks, compared to the rockies. Forest park is awesome for sure, and i go there all the time. I wont even go into the snowboarding and skiing. Cant argue with the ocean part, of course.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Just how DOES an outsider choose between these two great cities? ( I can't and I won't...)

Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Why don't you just invest in some ad space already? Do you really feel the need to paint Denver (and Colorado in general) as a conservative region in every single one of your posts? The news is already out. Denver is a progressive city that will continue to attract progressive people.
If Denver is considered a "progressive city," then I'd hate to see what a conservative think about Portland, which is a far more "progressive" city.

Denver is a great American city that attracts lots of progressives, and also lots of conservatives, evangelicals, and libertarians. In other words, Denver is not an especially "progressive" city and there aren't an overwhelming number of "progressives." But there are a lot of great people who make up a great part of the country.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Oregon isn't really a liberal state. The size of Portland skews the whole voting demographic, but outside of the Portland metro or few enclaves like Eugene or smaller places like Hood River or Ashland, Oregon has plenty of Republicans. Oregon historically has had a mix of libertarian sentiments and moderate Republicans like Tom McCall. Even the greater Portland Metro is a mix--once you get into Clackamas County, it's largely Republican in a lot of areas.
That's definitely true. My experience is that suburban Portland has a lot of "country club" Republicans, especially in places like Lake Oswego. While there's a strong libertarian contingent around Bend, rural parts of the Willamette Valley, and eastern Oregon.

The difference is that Denver's suburbs have a more socially conservative lean and Colorado Springs is a very conservative city home to many, many conservative Christians. Salem is pretty conservative for Oregon, but it stands out compared to other valley citiess

Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM

63 posts, read 273,996 times
Quote:
That's definitely true. My experience is that suburban Portland has a lot of "country club" Republicans, especially in places like Lake Oswego. While there's a strong libertarian contingent around Bend, rural parts of the Willamette Valley, and eastern Oregon.

The difference is that Denver's suburbs have a more socially conservative lean and Colorado Springs is a very conservative city home to many, many conservative Christians. Salem is pretty conservative for Oregon, but it stands out compared to other valley citiess
Yes, there are slightly more Christians in Colorado than in Oregon, but the fact is that both CITIES are of low religiosity compared the southeastern or Midwestern United States. I believe my post named them both as islands of liberal sanity a midst seas of (albeit moderately) conservative suburbanites. It matters not how much more liberal Portland is than Denver, (or their suburbs) fact is they are in the same boat as many other cities in the west; Austin, TX and Las Vegas, NV, for example. This IMO is what makes them so similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City