Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Human Capital?
DC 7 24.14%
NYC 13 44.83%
SF 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities has the best workforce and human capital? DC is the epicenter of lobbyists and lawyers. NYC has Wall Street bankers who are educated as well as a marketing industry. NYC can also boast about the artists it has. San Francisco has a very stellar workforce with engineers and software developers. SF has a big tech sector.

Which of these cities has a smarter workforce, creative workforce, and influential economic outputs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
SF. They are basically creating something out of nothing. Also, being Smart and Educated arent the same thing.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 AM

35 posts, read 68,573 times
I would compare London to New York but I would not compare San Francisco to New York. I would compare San Francisco to Seattle and Boston.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 AM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times
New York City definitely has the most knowledgable workforce. New York is the ultimate global city (along with London) with such a competitive environment that you simply have to be the best in order to succeed in that city. From Wall Street to broadway to the advertising & marketing to fashion to music to creative arts to education, NYC has a lot of almost everything. I think NYC is an easy #1 here. I am not disrespecting other cities by saying that, rather I am respecting the beast that NYC is and the immense human capital that is there. It is simply unrivaled in my opinion. I do think DC and San Francisco are #2 and #3, impressive themselves. These 3 are certainly the top 3 in the US, but NYC is the easily the leader of the pack due to its range.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
I think if people started making threads and did NOT include NYC, people would die.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
It depends on what industry we're talking about really.

Human Capital is a huge blanket that reaches into every single sector of the economy in some form or another.

I would say overall its New York, but pound for pound its DC if we're talking about public policy,(even science and engineering is a very strong for DC with defense)- If we are talking about pound for pound economic impact, its SF because of innovation.

Boston should be in the discussion somewhere as well imo.

Actually the rest of the country is hardly void of intellectual capital. Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Denver, San Diego, Miami etc. all have large communities of highly skilled, highly educated individuals who could do the same things that their counterparts in NY, DC and SF are doing if they had to.

Which is why it sort of irks me that the Tech Industry claims that there isnt enough talent in the US so they need to recruit from outside our borders-Ive long believed that to be an exaggeration.

Anyway, God Bless America. LOL.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
The knowledgable workforce is mostly located along the Boston - Washington corridor.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It depends on what industry we're talking about really.

Human Capital is a huge blanket that reaches into every single sector of the economy in some form or another.

I would say overall its New York, but pound for pound its DC if we're talking about public policy,(even science and engineering is a very strong for DC with defense)- If we are talking about pound for pound economic impact, its SF because of innovation.

Boston should be in the discussion somewhere as well imo.

Actually the rest of the country is hardly void of intellectual capital. Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Denver, San Diego, Miami etc. all have large communities of highly skilled, highly educated individuals who could do the same things that their counterparts in NY, DC and SF are doing if they had to.

Which is why it sort of irks me that the Tech Industry claims that there isnt enough talent in the US so they need to recruit from outside our borders-Ive long believed that to be an exaggeration.

Anyway, God Bless America. LOL.
100% agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City