U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Intellectual Capital of America?
Boston (including Cambridge) 132 49.62%
San Francisco Bay Area 49 18.42%
New York City 50 18.80%
Washington DC 35 13.16%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,727,315 times

Advertisements

Seattle has a lot of highly educated people, but it would be difficult to argue that Seattle was the center of intellectual life in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,674,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Seattle has a lot of highly educated people, but it would be difficult to argue that Seattle was the center of intellectual life in America.
Same could be said about all of these cities. Seattle ranks top in the country for most educated population. If you have never been to Seattle there is an overwhelming number of Engineers, Computer People,and Medical professionals in the city. It may not have the colleges like the other cities but intellectual capital in my point of view has more to do with the people not the schools.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 AM

32,206 posts, read 54,858,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I agree with this for the most part barring the "high" distinctions and I would add counter-culturalism in there. Simply having a lot of degrees concentrated in one area doesn't make an area "intellectual", it just means an area has a high educational attainment. Paris for example, during the 19th century, used to be breeding ground for a ton of activity since people would gather in salons all day and discuss and develop ideas for enjoyment. NYC and San Francisco used to be like that during the early and middle 20th century.
I agree with this completely.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,451,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Same could be said about all of these cities. Seattle ranks top in the country for most educated population. If you have never been to Seattle there is an overwhelming number of Engineers, Computer People,and Medical professionals in the city. It may not have the colleges like the other cities but intellectual capital in my point of view has more to do with the people not the schools.
Most educated population? According to this the metro is #11 in bachelor's degrees and #17 in graduate degrees. The University of Washington is a very good school, but other than that there aren't any other top-level universities in the area. Seattle is definitely a smart city, but I don't think anyone's going seriously consider it the intellectual capital of the US.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,675,400 times
OMG; the OP's linked article is so smug!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:17 PM

564 posts, read 556,320 times
Before long it will be Seattle and I think it would be now if Seattle's population was higher.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,727,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
What nationally or internationally influential publications are in Seattle?

Most engineers, computer people etc. are "intellectuals"? This is way too broad a definition.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 PM

3,511 posts, read 3,038,774 times
Detroit duh

Old 01-20-2014, 02:52 PM

32,206 posts, read 54,858,011 times
If we could quantify the sum of people in each area who are educated, worldly and simultaneously estute on the arts, history, economics, science and politics, preferably not constrained by worrying about such trivialities as money and ambition so that their intellectualism isnt watered down by greed, we will have the answer. Perhaps.

LOL

Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM

275 posts, read 312,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Before long it will be Seattle and I think it would be now if Seattle's population was higher.
Lol with the weather there, what else is there to do but read books and debate the finer things in life over artisanal coffee/alcohol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City