U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Intellectual Capital of America?
Boston (including Cambridge) 113 49.13%
San Francisco Bay Area 45 19.57%
New York City 42 18.26%
Washington DC 30 13.04%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM

9,044 posts, read 17,306,273 times

Advertisements

I think leaving Seattle off the poll was a big miss. There is definitely a very palpable intellectual environment there.

Minneapolis has been named most literate city many times: (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tecities_N.htm)
also deserves honorable mention. Literacy and intellectualism are pretty much synonymous. Seattle has also been ranked in the top three many times as well for literacy.

I would also call the Raleigh-Durham research triangle a stimulating environment for an intellectual.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 AM

9,044 posts, read 17,306,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EwingOil View Post
Seattle may have the most college graduates. Seattle can have as many college graduates as they want. That does not make Seattle the smartest city. Just because you work for Steve Ballmer at Microsoft, Jeff Besos at Amazon.com, or Howard Schultz at Starbucks, that does not make you smart. Try running your own successful business. Try making lots of money on Wall Street. Also, I find it very funny and ironic that Bill Gates who is arguably the smartest person in Seattle, did not graduate from college. So what does that tell you about being a college graduate? There are many successful millionaires out there who never completed college just like there are many people with college degrees who sit in cubicles 40 hours a week while taking crap from some jerk boss. So the college graduate argument is a joke.
I think this is just a long winded statement of your distaste for Seattle. But it certainly doesn't discredit it from being one of the leading intellectual cities in the US. You make a semi-valid point that college degree attainment doesn't always spell success. But nonetheless high educational attainment and being among the most literate cities in the US certain makes Seattle a leading intellectual city for sure.

Quote:
. When I think of intelligence I think of people who make lots of money and have lots of power. Anyone that is really and truly that smart should be rich in my opinion and New York seems to have more self-made wealthy people than any other city in the country.

That's a pretty shallow outlook. Money is not always synonymous with intellegence. Paris Hilton certainly isn't intellectual by any stretch of the imagination. Bernie Madoff is equally as stupid. Some so addicted to money they go to desperate measures to get it while evading common sense and causing much harm to others. Also those who capitalize and get rich off the backs of the vulnerable, middle class, and the poor aren’t intellectual or smart; they're demonic, manipulative, and less than human. There's a special place in hell for many sociopathic Wall Street fat cats.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-27-2011 at 06:35 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
True intelligence would demonstrate that the cities with higher population density have...duh...more degrees per square mile.

If you have 1500 people in the same 10 square feet, it's definitely going look like you have an embarrassment of intelligence riches.

D=m/v

This is provided that you truly believe that there is some correlation between true intelligence and a college degree.

Frankly, I don't think paying $600 a square foot to live underneath some stomping neighbors is all that intelligent. But to each their own.
This commentary is totally unrelated to what I posted. I wasnt correlating intelligence to college degree and I implied nothing of the sort-I was simply answering a post about which cities have the most college degrees.

Sheesh.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM

10,395 posts, read 8,346,895 times
E. None of the above.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Quote:
By Scientific American

Best of the Best Top 10 Cities:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...r-quality-tech

To coincide with Scientific American's "Cities" special topic issue, we gathered recent lists ranking U.S. cities on aspects of green living, pollution, health and technology. Today, we feature the cities that showed up most frequently on the top 10 lists to determine the overall top performers.

Top 10 Most Frequent List Appearances
These cities showed up most frequently on other lists featured in Scientific American's top 10 cities lists.
1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Seattle
5. Boston
6. Minneapolis
7. Denver
8. Los Angeles
9. Chicago
10. Miami

Top 10 Overall Performances
These cities earned the highest combined scores. In order to earn a spot on this list, cities had to rank highly on positive lists (such as "best public transit") and rank low or not at all on negative lists (such as "worst allergies").

1. San Francisco
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Seattle
4. Boston
5. New York City
6. Minneapolis
7. Denver
8. Portland, Ore
9. Los Angeles
10. Chicago
Funny how many of the cities mentioned in this thread top this ranking...

Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM

15,664 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Quote:
This is totally a matter of opinion because it depends on how you define intellectual. In my opinion I would say that New York is the intellectual capital of America because New York seems to have the most intelligent people when it comes to business. When I think of intelligence I think of people who make lots of money and have lots of power. Anyone that is really and truly that smart should be rich in my opinion and New York seems to have more self-made wealthy people than any other city in the country. Someone who is really intelligent will figure out a way to become wealthy so that they can live their life with total freedom and be able to do whatever they want when they want. Someone who is truly intelligent probably won't want to spend most of their life working hard for someone elses dream. Also, there is a big difference between the classroom and the real world. Someone may be smart in a classroom but then they enter the real world and they can get crushed like a bug. There is definitely a big difference between book smarts and street smarts. There are more street smart people in New York than anywhere else. I will take a street smart person anyday of the week over a booksmart person. You can't hide in a classroom forever. Eventually you have to come out and compete with the big dogs in the real world. New York is where the most big dogs live. I love the previous comment from rotodome who is from Brooklyn.
I disagree almost completely. Intellect has nothing to do with making money. However, that doesn't mean that New York City doesn't have intellectual people.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM

816 posts, read 1,531,069 times
Percentages don't matter... so Seattle is out. Seattle is 85% combined white/asian. There is your answer to that and same goes for Raleigh, Minneapolis or similarly demographically oriented cities.

It comes down to Boston and New York ...not really any other competition here.

Boston if you consider the academic side of things...it reigns supreme, and where many of our leading intellectuals and leaders are educated, and where many of the preeminent professors still call home.

NYC post college...it is where the most of them congregate, and is certainly the strongest bastion of high culture emanating from the U.S.

I am not sure how the IT sector is boosting the Bay Area... eh... doesn't make much sense, as I don't think people were ever touting Detroit as an intellectual center when the auto industry was extremely strong.

However, it would be in competition in terms of an "educational" powerhouse certainly with UCBerkeley and Stanford being #1 public and a top 5 overall university. That isn't really what this thread is asking however.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM

3,246 posts, read 4,548,339 times
Yeah, I think that many would find that whole "rich people are smart, because they're rich" implication to be downright offensive.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

102 posts, read 116,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think this is just a long winded statement of your distaste for Seattle. But it certainly doesn't discredit it from being one of the leading intellectual cities in the US. You make a semi-valid point that college degree attainment doesn't always spell success. But nonetheless high educational attainment and being among the most literate cities in the US certain makes Seattle a leading intellectual city for sure.

That's a pretty shallow outlook. Money is not always synonymous with intellegence. Paris Hilton certainly isn't intellectual by any stretch of the imagination. Bernie Madoff is equally as stupid. Some so addicted to money they go to desperate measures to get it while evading common sense and causing much harm to others. Also those who capitalize and get rich off the backs of the vulnerable, middle class, and the poor arenít intellectual or smart; they're demonic, manipulative, and less than human. There's a special place in hell for many sociopathic Wall Street fat cats.

Class envy is a bit 2009, no? You may be content living a life of mediocrity/poverty but striving for more doesn't make one a sociopath.

All college degrees aren't created equal. Look at the "triangle" or whatever it's called in North Carolina. So many college degrees yet ironically no industry, no wealth. Seattle, so many college degrees but such a laughably small amount of wealth. Boulder? Is there a single person in that town with a high net worth? Are you following along? Being degree rich and void of any wealth makes a region very dumb.

Point is, anyone can get log online and get a "college degree", there is nothing special about that. You need to look for the bastion of graduates from ivy/top schools, the industry (which top companies are located where), and the levels of wealth to come to this conclusion.

There is nothing intelligent in being "college educated" and poor. In reality it makes you very dumb for the lost time/opportunity cost of attaining a virtually worthless piece of paper. If being graduating from a worthless state college/university of Phoenix makes you feel intelligent then more power to you.

The answer to this poll is New York. Bay Area too.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
What city is the intellectual capital of America?
Round Rock TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City