Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Intellectual Capital of America?
Boston (including Cambridge) 203 51.92%
San Francisco Bay Area 79 20.20%
New York City 70 17.90%
Washington DC 39 9.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Advertisements

nyc, dc, boston, sf, houston

didn't read the trhread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
None of the above.

Seattle and Minneapolis vie every year for #1 of number of people with a college degree. Both are around 50%.

Cambridge, Mass. may educate the people, but they end up elsewhere most likely.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,675,716 times
This list came out a couple of days ago. Boston comes in 8th, and DC comes in 3rd.

The 10 Most Educated U.S. Cities - US News and World Report

Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I don't think percentage of college-educated corresponds perfectly with having a strong intellectual climate--it probably does help to nurture intellectualism, but it doesn't at all guarantee it.

Boston probably has a strong claim simply because the number and quality of very well-regarded higher education institutions will mean many and able faculty members who make a living as public intellectuals.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:43 AM

562 posts, read 988,778 times
None of the Above

Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
None of the above.

Seattle and Minneapolis vie every year for #1 of number of people with a college degree. Both are around 50%.

Cambridge, Mass. may educate the people, but they end up elsewhere most likely.
I already clarified why Seattle and Minneapolis are so high in those regards, e.g. people who have a degree and people who can read.

HINT... Seattle is ~80% White and Asian... Minneapolis is 76% White and Asian.

Let's see, who else vies for those stats you are talking about... oh yeah, Raleigh, NC... Madison, WI, Boulder, CO... all intellectual powerhouses that rival NYC and Boston right? :/ :/ :/

They certainly aren't more intellectual than the larger core subset of intellectual people in NYC or Boston, no matter what kinds of delusions the local resident intelleduncia have concocted.

Percentages are generally crappy guidelines... especially when you are comparing them to a global city with all the problems that are associated with it.

While it still may be true that Seattle and Minneapolis throw their weight, you've made it clear you have no comprehension of the intellectual world; so we won't count you, eskercurve, as part of these demographics.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Eskercurve is intelligent but perhaps not an intellectual.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,434 times
Boston
SF
NYC
Seattle
DC

Old 09-02-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
I already clarified why Seattle and Minneapolis are so high in those regards, e.g. people who have a degree and people who can read.

HINT... Seattle is ~80% White and Asian... Minneapolis is 76% White and Asian.

Let's see, who else vies for those stats you are talking about... oh yeah, Raleigh, NC... Madison, WI, Boulder, CO... all intellectual powerhouses that rival NYC and Boston right? :/ :/ :/

They certainly aren't more intellectual than the larger core subset of intellectual people in NYC or Boston, no matter what kinds of delusions the local resident intelleduncia have concocted.

Percentages are generally crappy guidelines... especially when you are comparing them to a global city with all the problems that are associated with it.

While it still may be true that Seattle and Minneapolis throw their weight, you've made it clear you have no comprehension of the intellectual world; so we won't count you, eskercurve, as part of these demographics.

Taken from a prior poster:

" Literature, philosophy, politics, theology, poetry, law, high art and high culture are associated with intellectualism. Where these things are most dominant overall is the intellectual capital. "

Theology: Mars Hill Church is the fastest growing neo-Evangelist church in the United States. They mix modern culture with Evangelist preaching and theology to spread Christianity. Based in Seattle. Pretty surprising given that Seattle is also known as one of the most atheist / non-conforming religious areas in the United States.

High Art: Chihuly is the most prolific blown glass artist in the nation. His art regularly sells for the tens of thousands of dollars despite him being still alive. The Seattle Symphony Orchestra is one of the most recorded in the world. So is the Seattle Opera and the Seattle PNW Ballet.

Oh yeah .. and Information Tech. DOES IN FACT BOOST ART. Billionaires like to spend money to validate their sense of existence, so ... there you go. Paul Allen has spent millions on art in the city.

Politics: ... ok I know we're not the center of the political universe, probably never will. I can live with that. Pretty much the only thing I know of Seattle pioneering politics nationwide is the former mayor created an environmental initiative among other cities because the feds were dragging their lazy, corrupt asses, at defining a coherent national standard for environmental metrics and what to do about it. Scores of cities have signed on.

High Culture: define for us, please. I guarantee you that your "culture" and definition of it will probably differ from that of others, so the basis of what constitutes "culture" is flawed inherently. Diversity of culture is tangible. What constitutes "high culture" is questionable.

For example: Seattle hosts the largest gathering of pot smokers - er, I mean, "Hemp activists" for Hempfest. It's the largest this side of the pond.

Seattle International Film Festival ... need I say more?

I'm sure there's examples of the other stuff but I have better things to do with my time than blow the minds of East Coasters who need to get their heads out of their collective asses.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Eskercurve is intelligent but perhaps not an intellectual.
All I know is that I'm not a snob about it ...

Your definitions of what constitutes intellectualism probably differ. How is being an engineer or a scientist any less of an intellectual than, say, a poet, or a philosopher?

We're all searching for our own unique understanding of the basis of existence and perhaps making it a little better.

I'm fully willing able to undestand and appreciate a beautiful Miro, or Dega, just as much as a sketch by Leonardo da Vinci.

And many times, it is the intersection of them which cause revolutions. For example, in my job, we're turning back to the mother of all evolutionary genetic algorithms ... nature ... namely birds ... to learn how to design better wings for airplanes to move your philosophical asses from place to place, while armchair thinking about how strange our own perception is of the world and wondering whether any of us really exist or not or even if we should care. Keep doing that. I'll keep making cool stuff.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City