Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Philly more like?
Baltimore 60 68.18%
NYC 28 31.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM

61 posts, read 77,908 times

Advertisements

Philly is a joke comparing to New York and not even as cool as Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,699,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Philly bro View Post
Philly is a joke comparing to New York and not even as cool as Baltimore.
Registering under a different name just to bash a city is never cool. Just so you know.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM

61 posts, read 77,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Registering under a different name just to bash a city is never cool. Just so you know.
Guy, what do you mean? I haven't done nothing before.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,818,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Philly bro View Post
Guy, what do you mean? I haven't done nothing before.
irony in the double negative

Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,651,032 times
Boston is full of row houses, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Since I don't spend enough time in either 3 I can only go by looks and Philly and Baltimore although very diff vibes strike an amazing similarity from row homes aspect

Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,151,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
This is the only post I agree with so far.

Sure Philly has some similar traits to Baltimore, less so to NYC, and probably more paralells with Boston. But at the end of the day Philly is an original and I don't see it as a bigger or smaller version of anywhere else.

Philly originals....

-an amazing city hall, can't think of a better looking one in the US
-phenominal art mueseum, particularly in architectural design
-Society Hill, you won't find a neighborhood like this in B'more or NYC
-Independence Hall
-Rittenhouse Square
-Ben Franklin Parkway - European like boulevard with ornate fountains
-Cheesesteaks
-Quaker inspired architecture, a lot in the suburbs that is exclusive to PA
-the painted murals in the gay neighborhood
-and the skyline is a gem, very different than any other.

I'm sure some locals could chime in and add to this. Philly is one of my favorite cities, and as a Bostonian I feel at home there.
I'd say the closest neighborhoods in New York City and Baltimore that look similar to Society Hill are probably Brooklyn Heights and Fells Point respectively.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,138,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I think we gotta 'is purple more like blue or more like red' situation.
Lol

Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,146,996 times
Philly is Philly. Like Baltimore, there are certain things about it that suck balls (poor and dirty neighborhoods with a lot of crime, ghetto-acting and rude people, very provincial, etc). But also like Baltimore, it's improving and has potential--and Philly has a lot to do, and is pretty affordable. I'd say it's like NYC in some ways--it's the second-biggest city in the East Coast and the 6th biggest in the USA, has a lot of history, a thriving downtown, good food, and many NYers are moving down here since it's much cheaper than the Big Apple. But, Philly is less transient, and as a result, has its own feel.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,156,970 times
Philly imo is a bigger,beefier,grittier Boston at least in its center core. The outer neighborhoods resemble a myriad of other US cities.Perhaps we should say other urban US cities resemble Philadelphia given its historic significance.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/...42a5642c_b.jpg

Old 12-05-2014, 01:02 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,442,428 times
I was going to say Philly is more Bmore than NYC. That probably is true to an extent, but I am going to go the other way and say it is closer to NYC for the simple reason that the stuff that comes out of Philadelphia, like NYC, ends up being larger than life and have an influence greater than their own metro. I don't know if there is 3 bigger names in the African American community in 2014 than Kevin Hart, Bill Cosby, and Will Smith all native sons of North and West Philly. Sports stars such as Kobe Bryant and Wilt Chamberlain (Don't worry I am not forgetting about Carmelo, is he more B'more or NY these days anyway). NYC and Philadelphia both started the tradition of having thanksgiving day parades downtown. Both Philly and NYC have held the position of having the tallest building in the world at the time. World's Fairs, Pope Visits, Political Conventions, Mobsters trying to reinvent themselves, nationally known regional food, all 4 sports teams, famous movies set in them, tv shows set them, events that shaped America, etc. A lot of people don't know that the first time a piece of the statue of liberty was ever shown it was in Fairmount Park

Reasons why Philly is more B'more: Economy, rowhouses, relative affordability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City