Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
"The State of Metropolitan America,” compiled by the Brookings Institute, shows that Chicago has been surpassed by Atlanta, Georgia as the city with the second-largest black population in America."

Chicago’s Black Population Drops To Third In Nation; Atlanta Now Second | News One
As has already been pointed out to you, Atlanta also has more whites than Houston.

Epic fail.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-11-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: personal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 10:35 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Atlanta does have a larger AA population than most other places but that doesn't mean there are less white people. The Atlanta area has smaller populations of other races though which allow much higher percentages of whites and blacks. The other races that do live in the metro Atlanta area tend to live in suburban communities with a majority living in the Gwinnett area which can be quite a drive to Atlanta that lends to the impression that these people do not live in the Atlanta area because upon visiting you may not see them as they live so far from the city core.

I am not sure if Atlanta has more white people than Houston or not but I know Atlanta would have a higher percentage of white than Houston due to the diversity of Houston.

Outsiders get the impression that Atlanta is very AA oriented due to the large AA population and the high media presence of AA culture there.
If you are white and live in Atlanta you will be just fine. And if you are AA in Atlanta you will be just fine.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Atlanta: 36.3% non-Hispanic Whites

Houston: 25.6% non-Hispanic Whites

Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
I really am confused about this competition between whites and non-whites on C-D. This, to me, is a slanted way of being overtly prejudiced, even if it's supposed to be a positive for non-whites. I personally LOVE cities with an ethnically-diverse white population (Italians, Jews, Irish, Greeks, Russians, Arabians, etc.) as well as places with ethnically-diverse black, Asian and Hispanic populations. Monocentricity is generally what causes segregation and animosity, IMO. A city that is 50% black (AA), 25% MEXICAN, and 25% WASP to me is FAR less diverse than a city with half as many non-whites but with a much more diverse mix WITHIN the races/ethnicities. For this reason, I find places like Chicago and Philly to be just as diverse, if not significantly more diverse, than places like Atlanta, Houston or Dallas.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:21 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I really am confused about this competition between whites and non-whites on C-D. This, to me, is a slanted way of being overtly prejudiced, even if it's supposed to be a positive for non-whites. I personally LOVE cities with an ethnically-diverse white population (Italians, Jews, Irish, Greeks, Russians, Arabians, etc.) as well as places with ethnically-diverse black, Asian and Hispanic populations. Monocentricity is generally what causes segregation and animosity, IMO. A city that is 50% black (AA), 25% MEXICAN, and 25% WASP to me is FAR less diverse than a city with half as many non-whites but with a much more diverse mix WITHIN the races/ethnicities. For this reason, I find places like Chicago and Philly to be just as diverse, if not significantly more diverse, than places like Atlanta, Houston or Dallas.
To each his own. Some people prefer larger non white populations.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
To each his own. Some people prefer larger non white populations.
Really? How well do you think a statement like this would be perceived on C-D: "I am looking for a place to live that has the highest white population, because as everyone knows, those are the best places to live".

This is essentially how some of these conversations for non-white population competitions come off.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 PM

To the person who sent me an anonymous message, yes, white people do just fine in Atlanta.

The Atlanta area is like 50% white and 30% black. There's no reason either race should really have problems. Anyone who disagrees simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Really? How well do you think a statement like this would be perceived on C-D: "I am looking for a place to live that has the highest white population, because as everyone knows, those are the best places to live".

This is essentially how some of these conversations for non-white population competitions come off.
I don't make the rules.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM

It's possible, just possible, that some people have different life experiences than others. So it's impossible to broad-brush stroke racism/prejudice on such a large scale. I've heard about racial tension and discrimination in just about any U.S. city, and some places are worse than others. In fact, I've heard particularly bad things about Atlanta, so I personally understand the OP's concern, even though he/she is likely going to be just fine.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't make the rules.
It's just a double standard, no denying it. I personally prefer diversity but less so in terms of race and moreso in terms of ethnicity or economic status. Good people come in all colors, shapes and sizes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City