Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 AM

45 posts, read 136,245 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a single white guy, a graduate. I'm contemplating a move to either Houston or Atlanta and have a few questions that need answer:

1. I've heard some stories and rumors about Atlanta still having some racial tensions, which can sometimes escalate. Is that true? I'm asking since I'd be a white guy in a predominately black city if I moved there.

2. Which city has more technology jobs, or which city is easier to find a job in general? Being a graduate, I'm looking primarily for entry-level jobs.

3. I know both cities have similar weather all-year round, so which city is more prone to extreme weather?

4. And finally, which city has lower cost of living (lower rents etc.)?

A lot of questions, I know, but getting an answer to at least some of them would help me make my decision a lot.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a single white guy, a graduate. I'm contemplating a move to either Houston or Atlanta and have a few questions that need answer:

1. I've heard some stories and rumors about Atlanta still having some racial tensions, which can sometimes escalate. Is that true? I'm asking since I'd be a white guy in a predominately black city if I moved there.

2. Which city has more technology jobs, or which city is easier to find a job in general? Being a graduate, I'm looking primarily for entry-level jobs.

3. I know both cities have similar weather all-year round, so which city is more prone to extreme weather?

A lot of questions, I know, but getting an answer to at least some of them would help me make my decision a lot.

Thank you in advance.

Honestly to me Houston is a cesspool, I have spent a lot of time there on business in the past and had some friends that lived there and could not wait to get out, summers are horrendous, it is flat, and physically ugly.
Atlanta has NO racial tensions at all, where did you hear this???? Fall in Atlanta is stunning, you will not have that in Houston, nor much of a winter, it can get bitterly cold and snowy in Atlanta but will not last very long with breaks of 50's or so in between. Spring is amazing with so many flowering trees and bushes you feel like you are in a botanical garden. Job market still is not totally great in Atlanta, but there are many entry level positions in many areas. Atlanta has a lower cost of living overall, rents are far below other major cities. Hope that helps.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Honestly to me Houston is a cesspool, I have spent a lot of time there on business in the past and had some friends that lived there and could not wait to get out, summers are horrendous, it is flat, and physically ugly.
Atlanta has NO racial tensions at all, where did you hear this???? Fall in Atlanta is stunning, you will not have that in Houston, nor much of a winter, it can get bitterly cold and snowy in Atlanta but will not last very long with breaks of 50's or so in between. Spring is amazing with so many flowering trees and bushes you feel like you are in a botanical garden. Job market still is not totally great in Atlanta, but there are many entry level positions in many areas. Atlanta has a lower cost of living overall, rents are far below other major cities. Hope that helps.
I've heard this a lot actually, especially blacks against whites. It happens here in Cleveland (and vice versa), so I can totally see it happening in Atlanta. Is this a huge myth or something, or an abberation?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
if you just be yourself (and hopefully you aren't a bigot and are not prejudiced), you should be fine.
i'm not from atl, nor do i live there but for the most part, black ppl tend to keep to themselves and leave a person alone...there are bigger things to worry about than a white person moving down the block, lol. the unemployment rate has a lot of ppl frustrated and black ppl are among the highest unemployed ppl in the country when you break it down by race so maybe thats part of the fuel being added to the fire that is being black in the u.s. and why SOME black ppl in cleveland may resent and take their feelings out on white ppl?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Honestly to me Houston is a cesspool
Here we go again. How so?

Quote:
summers are horrendous
That's all of Texas, and lots of other places too.

Quote:
it is flat
So are lots of other nice cities.

Quote:
and physically ugly
How so? From being flat? From staying on the freeways the whole time and not getting into the neighborhoods? It doesn't have as great a tree canopy as Atlanta, but it has a decent one, especially when compared to some other cities in the region.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Which city has more technology jobs, or which city is easier to find a job in general? Being a graduate, I'm looking primarily for entry-level jobs.
Texas still leads way for U.S. job growth - Houston Business Journal

Texas leads nation in professional services job creation - Houston Business Journal

Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Here we go again. How so?

That's all of Texas, and lots of other places too.

So are lots of other nice cities.

How so? From being flat? From staying on the freeways the whole time and not getting into the neighborhoods? It doesn't have as great a tree canopy as Atlanta, but it has a decent one, especially when compared to some other cities in the region.

Just my opinion, which you have as well. I am not saying Atlanta is the greatest place on earth, but you Houston people think you hung the moon.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

1. I've heard some stories and rumors about Atlanta still having some racial tensions, which can sometimes escalate. Is that true? I'm asking since I'd be a white guy in a predominately black city if I moved there. -Don't know much about that, so I am not gonna touch that one

2. Which city has more technology jobs, or which city is easier to find a job in general? Being a graduate, I'm looking primarily for entry-level jobs. they would be just about the same

3. I know both cities have similar weather all-year round, so which city is more prone to extreme weather? They are both very hot, Houston would have the more humid summers and ATL would have the Harsher winter. Houston has mild Fall, Winter and Spring but very humid summers

4. And finally, which city has lower cost of living (lower rents etc.)? - Houston has the lowest cost of living among the biggest 20 metros, but ATL's cost of living is not wildly different from Houston's. They are both rather affordable metros.

Answers in red.

Pretty much they are very similar in the categories you chose except the racial one

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM

381 posts, read 862,365 times
Quote:
Just my opinion, which you have as well. I am not saying Atlanta is the greatest place on earth, but you Houston people think you hung the moon.
Uh - no, they don't. You attacked and slandered Houston, and so someone from the area defended their city. That's totally understandable.

Seriously, what kind of bait is that? Call a place a cesspool and say other terrible things about it, and then when someone comes to defend their city, you say - "Gee, you Houston people think you hung the moon".

Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.
As a white guy; you'll do fine in any city. You're main focus should be cost of living, jobs and housing. Houston has more extreme summers; while Atlanta get the more extreme winters. Houston's Fall/Winer seasons are very nice with degrees ranging from the 40s [sometimes lower] to 70s [sometimes higher].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City