U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Toronto
Seattle 57 46.72%
Toronto 65 53.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2011, 10:57 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,383,243 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a pattern on this forum of comparisons between Seattle and cities which are on an entirely different level of importance.

Skyline--Not a very important measurement of a city's worth, but both cities have impressive and truly unique skylines. Toronto has about twice as many buildings in excess of 500 feet. Opinions may certainly vary concerning how architecturally interesting specific buildings might be.

Art\Museums--Toronto is the center of media, art and culture for an entire nation. Seattle fills that role for a sub-region of The United States.

Diversity--This one isn't close in any way. Toronto is one of the most international cities in the world. A walk through Toronto's boroughs and neighborhoods reflect a city with dozens of vibrant cultures. You won't find anything close to that in Seattle (or in most any big American city outside of NY)

Education--Seattle is certainly among the most educated US cities. According to MacLeans, Toronto itself is in the middle of the pack among Canadian cities. However, several cities in the Greater Toronto Area are near the top.

Recreation--Seattle has this one with ease: it's pretty hard to beat the mountains/ocean--within an hour--options in the Seattle area.

Nightlife--There are only a hand full of US cities that can beat Toronto in this category, and Seattle isn't among them.

Economy--I don't think it's reasonable to compare the economies of cities from two different countries. Governmental economic policies and public welfare policies are far too different to allow for an accurate assessment. As of 2008, Toronto's GDP was slightly larger than was Seattle's.

Transportation--This is perhaps the most lopsided win for Toronto. Toronto has one of the world's most efficient mass transit systems. Toronto has over sixty subway stations; augmented by light rail, bus, and streetcar service. Seattle's comprehensive mass transit system is still in its early stages.

If you're looking for a Canadian city to compare to Seattle, the only rational choice is Vancouver. Seattle really doesn't have the urban profile of Toronto or Montreal, and other Canadian cities aren't on a level with Seattle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:27 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Quote:
I think it actually boils down to a major cultural difference, the whole west coast "nature balance" which permeates much of the population of cities like SF, Portland, Seattle just doesn't fly with me. It's actually a minus for me to what would otherwise bear higher ranking cities, b/c I have found the people in the cities just aren't that into city oriented things which you would find more of in NYC, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal for instance.
What sorts of city oriented things?

Furthermore, tens of thousands of NYers flee the city on weekend in search of nature, off the Hamptons, up to Vermont, or up to the Hudson Valley, the Jersey Shore etc. I dont know what your talking about?

People in Boston travel to the cape, the vineyard, New Hampshire, lots of places.

We go to the Wine Country, to Monterey, to Tahoe etc.

Maybe its just you that has nowhere to go nearby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
But let's not be silly and think the city/urban life is more developed, polished or sophisticated...it isn't.
Surely you jest.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM

90 posts, read 164,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Furthermore, tens of thousands of NYers flee the city on weekend in search of nature, off the Hamptons, up to Vermont, or up to the Hudson Valley, the Jersey Shore etc. I dont know what your talking about?

People in Boston travel to the cape, the vineyard, New Hampshire, lots of places.

Surely you jest.
I just visited Toronto for the first time. It blows away Seattle in many categories, except for natural scenery. In fact, in terms of cultural diversity, Toronto blows away your SF bay area. LOL!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM

816 posts, read 1,531,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Surely you jest.
You'd have to be blind to not notice the difference in the progressive/environmentalist/outdoorsy oriented culture of the west coast cities vs midwest/east coast cities. It's immediately obvious. Things like Mountain Biking were literally invented right there in Marin, Surfing/Skateboarding/Camping/Hiking are much much more popular amongst the populations there.

As far as sophistication goes, yes there is that set in SF proper, I will give you that, not so much in Portland or Seattle though. You also have the fully developed "wine culture" set which is head and shoulders above anywhere in North America which adds to it. But it still isn't as well developed as the cities I mention, there is still the counter culture lefty anti establishment progressive vibe there. I'm sure it is less than it used to be, but it is far more of a bigger factor than the cities I mentioned. This can be an annoyance for somebody coming from the midwest/east coast cities, I have seen the complaints too many times among colleagues.

Anyway, back to Toronto vs Seattle... it is really no contest. I think you could argue for Toronto as the second best developed big city life in North America behind NYC, it makes a good case for it, competing with Chicago, but a slightly more international feel. SF also has the international/hip/white collar feel, more so than Chicago, just less of a big metropolis wallop that Chicago brings, Chicago also has a more roots/blue collar/working class base. Toronto has slightly less big metropolis wallop, and more international/hip than Chicago... So a pretty good balance.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-05-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,359,348 times
I think Toronto and Seattle are both great cities.

There are certain things I like about Seattle more than Toronto and certain things I like about Toronto more than Seattle. I think for me it is a tie between both of these cities overall when all factors are considered.

Some factors that I will compare for now:

Skyline: Seattle’s skyline is better. Also, I like Seattle's urban meets nature vibe. Toronto does not really have a unique vibe like that.

Art: Toronto but Seattle has a decent art scene.

Museums: Toronto wins this but Seattle has a decent museum scene.

Diversity: Toronto wins again. Seattle has diversity though, just not as much as Toronto.

Education: Toronto. But Seattle has good education options too.

Recreation: Seattle.

Nightlife: Toronto's nightlife seems better. But Seattle has a decent nightlife scene.

Economy: Toronto. It is the number 1 city in Canada for economy. Seattle has a pretty good economy but it does not make the top 5 in the USA and maybe not even the top 10. It does make the top 15 though.

Transportation: Toronto.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 PM

408 posts, read 839,546 times
-skyline: Toronto's is much more expansive, but Seattle's is more aesthetically pleasing to me personally.

-art: Toronto would have a greater art scene, though Seattle is no slouch.

-museums: Honestly not sure how they measure up.

-diversity: Toronto is one of if not the most diverse cities anywhere. It wins.

-education: I believe both cities have great options here.

-recreation: Going to have to give this to Seattle

-nightlife: Toronto has great night life. Nod to Tdot.

-economy: Even though Toronto's is larger, it's not much larger GDP wise. Seattle really punches above its weight here, so I give this to Seattle.

-transportation: We are working on that in Seattle, but Toronto wins. Very developed mass transit system.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:15 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
As a place to live, Seattle.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM

54 posts, read 97,996 times
Toronto is one of the top cities in the world... nothing against Seattle, it's a beautiful city. But come on, you can't compare the two. Chicago vs Toronto is more fair, they're on the same level.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
Toronto is one of the top cities in the world... nothing against Seattle, it's a beautiful city. But come on, you can't compare the two. Chicago vs Toronto is more fair, they're on the same level.
Occassionally I visit friends in Toronto and honestly 'top cities in the world' never comes to mind. I enjoy Toronto but when I think of top cities of the world I think of London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong or Tokyo. Great city but one of the world's top cities is a bit much imo.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
I'm sure both places are a nice place to live. I'm uninterested in haute couture, nightclubbing *anymore*, etc. I just want a place where my future children will have good educational opportunities, be safe, and have convenient options nearby and where I can get a job, and in my field, there's zilch in the Toronto area I wager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or