U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Toronto
Seattle 57 46.72%
Toronto 65 53.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,714,345 times

Advertisements

I like these two cities. They both have nice skylines, and not to mention sky needles.

-skyline
-art
-museums
-diversity
-education
-recreation
-nightlife
-economy
-transportation
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
I just love most everything about Seattle. Toronto is bigger but who cares!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM

836 posts, read 1,556,659 times
My fellow Americans, why are we such an ethnocentric and arrogant society? You and I both know Toronto crushes Seattle in every single category, yet we're all voting for the former likely because it's an American city. For those of you who have no idea what a 'Toronto' is, think of New York but half the size and twice the upkeep. Seattle is beautiful too, but it just can't compete with a world city.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM

274 posts, read 566,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
My fellow Americans, why are we such an ethnocentric and arrogant society? You and I both know Toronto crushes Seattle in every single category, yet we're all voting for the former likely because it's an American city. For those of you who have no idea what a 'Toronto' is, think of New York but half the size and twice the upkeep. Seattle is beautiful too, but it just can't compete with a world city.
Pretty much, it's like comparing Seattle to Chicago, it doesn't really make sense. I'd say Toronto easily takes every category EXCEPT recreation and maybe skyline, which is of course highly subjective. The outdoor recreation available to you near Seattle easily crushes anything available in Ontario.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
My fellow Americans, why are we such an ethnocentric and arrogant society? You and I both know Toronto crushes Seattle in every single category
What?

Seattle's skyline is far more iconic than Toronto's. Seattle whallops Seattle as far as recreational opportunities, Seattle has a vibrant arts scene that is responsible for entire musical genres, Seattle is probably far better educated as well. As far as economy, Seattle is wealthier, Seattle has Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon--3 globally known entities.

Crushed by Toronto? Yeah right.

I dont think you thought out this very well.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
Quote:
Oh brother! Some people get so upset for no reason!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 PM

293 posts, read 618,566 times
Both have vibrant downtowns and great neighborhoods. Toronto's bigger size allows for more urban exploration, but Seattle probably has a better culinary scene (for what that's worth).

Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 PM

84 posts, read 151,888 times
As far as skyline goes, Seattle has it. Yes, the CN Tower is way taller than the Space Needle, but overall Seattle's skyline beats Toronto's.

In all honesty, the only thing remarkable about Toronto's skyline is the CN Tower; the rest is not all that interesting.

Seattle's skyline can hold its own even without the Space Needle, as it has exceptional color and height contrasts as well as still maintaining that sloping effect.

Overall, Seattle's skyline is more easily recognizable and more iconic, hands down.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:25 PM

415 posts, read 618,433 times
I live in Seattle and I really like it, but this is just a silly comparison. Could we stop "comparing" cities which are not all comparable?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 PM

199 posts, read 293,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What?

Seattle's skyline is far more iconic than Toronto's. Seattle whallops Seattle as far as recreational opportunities, Seattle has a vibrant arts scene that is responsible for entire musical genres, Seattle is probably far better educated as well. As far as economy, Seattle is wealthier, Seattle has Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon--3 globally known entities.

Crushed by Toronto? Yeah right.

I dont think you thought out this very well.
If you're going to spew nonsense, at least back it up with sources and statistics. For all we know the "better educated" and "wealthier" comments are both lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or