U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:27 PM

115 posts, read 443,520 times

Advertisements

Can't believe there aren't more fans of Oregon's plate, which is very cool IMO. Other goodies-
Nevada
Washington
Rhode Island
Vermont
New Mexico
Wyoming
Colorado
South Carolina

Dislikes-
Texas
Missouri
Massachusetts
Maryland
West Virginia
Louisiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 02:34 PM

362 posts, read 1,627,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvedderbest View Post
Can't believe there aren't more fans of Oregon's plate, which is very cool IMO.
You're right, Oregon has an awesome plate! I can't believe I forgot about that one.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM

47 posts, read 280,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I kinda see that could have potential problems for instance if you are visiting another part of your state then you could be a target due to knowing you may be from out of town. Either by crooks or cops.
You know, you could be right; I never thought about it that way. Come to think of it, Indiana's counties have a certain number (i.e. 49 for Marion County/Indy) at the beginning of our license plates so if a person is familiar with the numbers, they could know where a person's from by looking at the first two numbers. I only know a few county numbers by heart though.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 34,509 times
Default Colorado

Colorado!!!!!
http://www.platedepot.com/website/co05life.JPG (broken link)

http://www.pl8ster.net/CO/CO02_531EAS.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,960,993 times
Illinois--subtle. You can barely make out Abe Lincoln's face.
New York--I like the crosscut of NYS
California--so simple but elegant. Alot of letters and numbers though. How do you figure out the numbering system?
Texas--panorama of the symbols of Texas. Notice the Texas flag in the Texas outline dot on new plates instead of the red Texas outline?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,124,672 times
I'm a little biased, but this looks darn good!!

http://car.elpasoco.com/NR/rdonlyres/A505A169-D093-453E-813C-CED4EAAC9BFF/0/broncocountry.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-14-2007, 03:04 PM

414 posts, read 2,413,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
With AL, you can figure out the county it's from if you know the numbering system the state uses for the counties.

With the exception of three counties, they go in sequential, alphabetical order. The three largest counties, however are #1, 2, and 3. So if you see a 1 in front, you know the person is from Jefferson County where Birmingham is located. Liz
lol I have a 1. Thats cool.

Best plates: Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Dakota, Texas

Love the stars and music notes. Love the patriotic colors.

www.aaroads.com/.../images/ms-lyc-896.jpg (broken link)

Nice design with the flower, state lettering.

Tennessee (not pictured) - nicely redesigned

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

North Dakota - distinctive

I wanted to add South Carolina - the idea is nice - the palmetto and the Smiling Faces slogan, but the lettering looks too cheap and unreadable for it to look professional.

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 07:49 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM

537 posts, read 1,708,136 times
The new Alabama tags (which I can't find on the web anywhere) are OK, you can't tell what county somebody's from on the new ones, which is good as I have found that cops in rural counties like to pick on you if you have a 1 or a 58 (Jefferson and Shelby counties respectively) on your tag.

The only thing I don't like about the new AL tag is the "God Bless America" line on the bottom, because I know in Alabama "God Bless America" means "God Damn Everybody Else." Sorry, just telling it like it is. It's very much political and according to Gov. Riley it's supposed to show support for the troops in Iraq. Whatever.

Up here in Illinois, I actually happen to like our "Land of Lincoln" plates. They actually look a lot like Alabama plates (same colors, red white and blue).

I don't think states near or adjacent to each other should have similar looking plates. Mississippi and Tennessee have nearly identical license plates, and this wouldn't be too much of a problem if it weren't for the fact that the two states are right next to each other! I mean they have the exact same color, the exact same shade of green, the exact same format, the exact same everything basically. That must cause a lot of headaches for law enforcement, especially in the Memphis area (Memphis is in Tennessee, but its suburbs are in Mississippi).

_

Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,336,683 times
Quote:
The new Alabama tags (which I can't find on the web anywhere) are OK, you can't tell what county somebody's from on the new ones, which is good as I have found that cops in rural counties like to pick on you if you have a 1 or a 58 (Jefferson and Shelby counties respectively) on your tag.

The only thing I don't like about the new AL tag is the "God Bless America" line on the bottom, because I know in Alabama "God Bless America" means "God Damn Everybody Else." Sorry, just telling it like it is. It's very much political and according to Gov. Riley it's supposed to show support for the troops in Iraq. Whatever.
It's not a replacement for the original but an alternate. If you don't want the first one:

You can chose to have this one instead. Other states are doing this...I know MI does.

Btw, I found it here: Standard and Disability Access Tags Liz

Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 AM

751 posts, read 898,114 times
Nobody mentioned Minnesota?! Anyways, here they are:

I also like some of the Canadian ones I see here..we get many visitors from Saskatchewan

And the Manitoba one..also very popular here

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City