Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Creative Capital of the US
New York 12 25.53%
Los Angeles 12 25.53%
San Francisco 8 17.02%
Miami 1 2.13%
Chicago 5 10.64%
Other 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So you want to bring down the thread? Go feed your ego somewhere else. Nobody's perfect. The point is well stated regardless, such as culinary and music talents in New Orleans brought in further discussion. If you understood the point then you wouldn't be nitpicking. This doesn't have to be contentious.
No, of course I don't. I never said anything about New Orleans. I was just saying when it comes to publishing, it is NYC... then everybody else. I actually think it is probably the field NYC has the largest gap over anybody else in. I think there is a misconception that LA is a clone somewhat of NYC in some of the fields it shares with it, but that isn't exactly the case. NYC has far more film industry for instance, than LA has of publishing. And in something like the music industry, it is fairly balanced, with cases that could be made for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
No, of course I don't. I never said anything about New Orleans. I was just saying when it comes to publishing, it is NYC... then everybody else. I actually think it is probably the field NYC has the largest gap over anybody else in. I think there is a misconception that LA is a clone somewhat of NYC in some of the fields it shares with it, but that isn't exactly the case. NYC has far more film industry for instance, than LA has of publishing. And in something like the music industry, it is fairly balanced, with cases that could be made for both.
OK fair enough. Thank you for keeping it civil. I might also add that a lot of the filiming industry has left LA for Vancouver, Toronto, and have even set up studios in places like Albuquerque. However I didn't know or think that New York had more of a filming industry. In terms of media, well no question about that. Are you also implying NY has it over LA for cinema and TV series productions? Can you elaborate?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
OK fair enough. Thank you for keeping it civil. I might also add that a lot of the filiming industry has left LA for Vancouver, Toronto, and have even set up studios in places like Albuquerque. However I didn't know or think that New York had more of a filming industry. In terms of media, well no question about that. Are you also implying NY has it over LA for cinema and TV series productions? Can you elaborate?
NYC has a higher percentage of the entire film industry, than LA has an entire percentage of the entire publishing industry. I think you'll see publishing/e-print/etc start to filter out of NYC more, just like you have seen movie production move out of LA. Publishing nationwide has been getting KILLED in the last 5 years...and we are still not at a level of where the "new media" has come to replace it, people are still scrambling for territory. I think you'll see Bay Area get some points on that b/c of the tech industry media giants twitter/facebook/google... Seattle b/c of Amazon/Microsoft death grips, and Chicago also as it is fairly balanced in terms of economic industries (journalism/trade guides/poetryfoundation/etc) and historically was a big publishing center as well, still is, Boston would be the other "old school" publishing city, traditional american literature powerhouse. SF and Seattle are the new big players and we'll see how much clout they have. LA has a lot of writers, but mostly for film/tv/other scripts and easily has the lion share in that subgenre.
I don't think it is as necessary anymore that if you want to be a writer/editor you HAVE to move to NYC, nor is it as necessary if you want to work in film that you HAVE to move to LA... Now, you might still want to visit fairly frequently for the industry honchos/client networking... and your work might eventually filter through there b/c of the HQ's and media conglomerates, but internet and lower production costs have changed the game tremendously in both fields, and I only see it changing more.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-06-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City