Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick.
Houston 60 52.17%
Minneapolis 55 47.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
After all, this is somewhat of an odd comparison considering the major population difference between the two and the fact that Houston area is a tier 2 metro whereas the Minneapolis area is a tier 4.
I thought it was an odd comparison too.

It would have been a better match up to compare MSP with Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
Could it be that you are out to start something? After all, this is somewhat of an odd comparison considering the major population difference between the two and the fact that the Houston area is a tier above the Minneapolis area. Whatever the case, I got $10 on the Twin Cities.
I just wanted to compare the two. The whole fourm is about debate. Population really shouldn't matter though, because obviously TC is winning in the poll so far, and also wins out in alot of those categories.

As for my "so we've heard" comment...i said it because that statement is repeated over and over again.. i don't see how thats trying to start anything.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I just wanted to compare the two. The whole fourm is about debate. Population really shouldn't matter though, because obviously TC is winning in the poll so far, and also wins out in alot of those categories.

As for my "so we've heard" comment...i said it because that statement is repeated over and over again.. i don't see how thats trying to start anything.
winning a CD poll means nothing tho.

have you seen the hate for Houston on this forum. You can put Houston up against Detroit and ask which is declining less rapidly and I betcha Detroit will win.

and who says MSP is chosen in more categories. few people have posted thus far, and it seems some have overestimated the Theater district in Minneapolis while Underestimating Houston's

Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
winning a CD poll means nothing tho.

have you seen the hate for Houston on this forum. You can put Houston up against Detroit and ask which is declining less rapidly and I betcha Detroit will win.

and who says MSP is chosen in more categories. few people have posted thus far, and it seems some have overestimated the Theater district in Minneapolis while Underestimating Houston's
Yeah, thats true. As a person from Houston, i find it quite sad that some people hate the city so much.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, thats true. As a person from Houston, i find it quite sad that some people hate the city so much.
it is a city data thing. Houston isn't hated on in the real world as much. Just a bunch on losers on here who have never been here but go off of stupid stereotypes they have heard.

Query: why didn't you put MSP up against DFW instead. Keep the whole twin cities vs twin cities thing going? better comparison there

Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
it is a city data thing. Houston isn't hated on in the real world as much. Just a bunch on losers on here who have never been here but go off of stupid stereotypes they have heard.

Query: why didn't you put MSP up against DFW instead. Keep the whole twin cities vs twin cities thing going? better comparison there
oh, i already made the Metroplex vs Twin Cities comparison. haha

Metroplex Vs. Twin Cities

Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
oh, i already made the Metroplex vs Twin Cities comparison. haha

Metroplex Vs. Twin Cities
Oh my bad.

And I see that MSP got more votes than DFW on that one too.
There is a strong anti Texas Bias on this board

Old 09-05-2011, 05:03 PM

343 posts, read 805,214 times
Quote:
Oh my bad.

And I see that MSP got more votes than DFW on that one too.
There is a strong anti Texas Bias on this board
I've noticed that too... so many negative stereotypes geared towards Houston and DFW, yet so much positivity towards Austin (which is really overrated in my book). Both cities have so much to offer and they are extremely economically vital and relevant. I don't get the hate!

In relation to this forum though, Houston wins to me due to its economic prowess. It is on another level from the Twin Cities. the Twin Cities do offer scenic beauty and better transit and city neighborhoods in my opinion though

Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Here is my thinking...

Shopping: Houston
Scenery: In the city Minneapolis, in the suburbs Houston.
Econemy: Houston? I don't know.
Skyline: Houston by far
Schools: Minneaapolis so i hear
Housing Prices: Houston
Universities: Houston overall
Climate/Weather: Minneapolis..alot less humid, and it has snow :-D
Public Transit: Highways=Houston...Lightrail=Minneapolis...Bus=Tie
Traffic: Houston is horrible..Minneapolis.
Suburbs: Houston has a wider variety, by TC as a whole has some nice ones.
Better Location: Houston
Art Scene: Minneapolis
Music Scene: Minneapolis
Airport: Houston
Scenery: Minneapolis
Better Vibe(To you): Houston
the one you choose: Houston..but i still like the Twin Cities.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM

houston has some of the most visited museums in the country in a bigger Museum district, a bigger theater district that has won a range of awards. How can you list Minneapolis higher for Art???

The Museum of Fine art Houston is the 7th most visited Art Museum in the US and has 65,000 pieces and over 300,000 sq feet of space. The MFA gets 1.25M visitors a year.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````````````
The Menil Collection:

The Renzo Piano-designed museum opened to the public in June 1987 and houses John and Dominique de Menils' privately-assembled collection of twentieth-century art, including over 15,000 paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings, photographs, and rare books. It includes the early to mid-twentieth century works of Yves Tanguy, René Magritte, Max Ernst, Man Ray, Marcel Duchamp, Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso among others.

The museum also maintains an extensive collection of pop art and contemporary art from Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, Mark Rothko, Robert Rauschenberg and Cy Twombly, among others. Also included in the museum's permanent collection are Antiquities and works of Byzantine, Medieval and Tribal art.

The museum campus has grown to include two satellite galleries to the main building: Cy Twombly Gallery (also designed by Piano) and The Dan Flavin Installation at Richmond Hall, which houses Mrs. de Menil's last commission (a series of three site-specific installations by Dan Flavin that were installed in 1998). Two other buildings founded by the de Menils, but now operating as independent foundations complete the campus: The Byzantine Fresco Chapel and the Rothko Chapel. The museum has a library that is open to qualified researchers by appointment and a bookstore open during museum hours.

The neighborhood as a whole has a coordinated feel. The Menil Foundation began buying homes in the area in the 1960s and painting them the same shade of gray over time. When the museum building was constructed, it too was painted 'Menil gray.' Though subtle, the result is a neighborhood that feels aesthetically unified. Currently the surrounding bungalows are used as additional office space for museum employees, or rented to individuals or non-profit organizations.

More Info Can Be Found Here:
http://www.menil.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City