U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
 
10,721 posts, read 6,400,988 times
Reputation: 5333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Savannah is probably a bigger fashion city than both of these, due to the huge presence and influence of SCAD. Many, many designers and boutiques are in Savannah now -- Marc Jacobs anyone? -- to take advantage of the SCAD connections in NYC, Atlanta, Hong Kong, Lacoste, etc.
Good recommendation. Charleston isn't really a "fashionista" city anyway; not sure about NOLA, but Savannah has all of the elements the OP likes in cities plus some fashion connections. Should definitely give it a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
 
640 posts, read 542,339 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
LMAO!!!!


Niether for fashion

Give me some info on why you think this...do you read New Orleans news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,895 posts, read 8,571,857 times
Reputation: 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Give me some info on why you think this...do you read New Orleans news?
Doubt it. Seems like he threw out the biggest known fashion cities and called it a bet, then the other guys rallied together in agreement.

Fly down in October for NOLA Fashion week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 PM
 
816 posts, read 916,128 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Doubt it. Seems like he threw out the biggest known fashion cities and called it a bet, then the other guys rallied together in agreement.

Fly down in October for NOLA Fashion week.
Uhh we are trying to help the OP out and not be a "city booster"...
I would never EVER advise somebody move to Charleston or New Orleans for a fashion career. This is nothing to do with the cities themselves, and way more to do with a "Fashion Career".
To each their own though.
Since you feel like arguing, I'll take your gesture however and say that New Orleans is not even a fashionable city amongst the population, much less a place to launch a fashion career. I've been there probably a dozen times and never thought much of how people dressed there except what might be described as a "hot mess"
The biggest thing going on in New Orleans in October is VoodooFest, certainly not fashion week. It's off the radar entirely. Pretty much every city has some kind of "fashion week", it doesn't mean it is watched or credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
8,235 posts, read 6,204,130 times
Reputation: 5077
When I think of New Orleans and "fashion" I think of half-naked people walking down the streets who probably need to put on some clothes in the first place. Doubt that has changed much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,895 posts, read 8,571,857 times
Reputation: 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Uhh we are trying to help the OP out and not be a "city booster"...
I would never EVER advise somebody move to Charleston or New Orleans for a fashion career. This is nothing to do with the cities themselves, and way more to do with a "Fashion Career".
To each their own though.
Since you feel like arguing, I'll take your gesture however and say that New Orleans is not even a fashionable city amongst the population, much less a place to launch a fashion career. I've been there probably a dozen times and never thought much of how people dressed there except what might be described as a "hot mess"
The biggest thing going on in New Orleans in October is VoodooFest, certainly not fashion week. It's off the radar entirely. Pretty much every city has some kind of "fashion week", it doesn't mean it is watched or credible.
The OP didn't ask for the best fashion cities. He asked specifically about Charleston and New Orleans. So directing them in the direction of other cities isn't exactly helping. I don't feel like arguing, I simply made perceived your reply as "these are the best, everything else is bottom of the litter."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
When I think of New Orleans and "fashion" I think of half-naked people walking down Bourbon St. who probably need to put on some clothes in the first place. Doubt that has changed much?
No, that hasn't changed thanks to you tourists...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 PM
 
816 posts, read 916,128 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The OP didn't ask for the best fashion cities. He asked specifically about Charleston and New Orleans. So directing them in the direction of other cities isn't exactly helping. I don't feel like arguing, I simply made perceived your reply as "these are the best, everything else is bottom of the litter."


No, that hasn't changed thanks to you tourists...

He/She asked about a fashion career.

"Since I can't decide based on the characteristics of the cities alone, let me ask: which city would be best for someone looking for a career in the fashion and styling worlds?"

Yes it is helping by saying NEITHER are a good choice, then giving them other possible choices in the area, as I did, and has several others have done. I gave them other options in the southeast to broaden their horizon, and also where the national/global industry takes place. Some people are unaware, as yourself it seems, and thinks that fashion must just go on everywhere...it doesn't.

If somebody asked about launching a movie career in Knoxville or St. Louis, I would tell them otherwise also. The poster has lofty goals, but isn't seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, we are trying to direct them in the right direction, where as you seem to only be concerned with some self worth you have tied up in New Orleans, for better or worse.

Career does not mean bumbling around and working at Macy's as a manager moving around Ralph Lauren and DKNY racks. Same thing that an IT career doesn't mean that you use a computer all day at the office, and so on and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,895 posts, read 8,571,857 times
Reputation: 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
He/She asked about a fashion career.

"Since I can't decide based on the characteristics of the cities alone, let me ask: which city would be best for someone looking for a career in the fashion and styling worlds?"

Yes it is helping by saying NEITHER are a good choice, then giving them other possible choices in the area, as I did, and has several others have done. I gave them other options in the southeast to broaden their horizon, and also where the national/global industry takes place. Some people are unaware, as yourself it seems, and thinks that fashion must just go on everywhere...it doesn't.

If somebody asked about launching a movie career in Knoxville or St. Louis, I would tell them otherwise also. The poster has lofty goals, but isn't seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, we are trying to direct them in the right direction, where as you seem to only be concerned with some self worth you have tied up in New Orleans, for better or worse.

Career does not mean bumbling around and working at Macy's as a manager moving around Ralph Lauren and DKNY racks. Same thing that an IT career doesn't mean that you use a computer all day at the office, and so on and so forth.
The OP never asked for suggestions, although he/she may be accepting them.

Although there is a fashion industry in New Orleans, if he/she were interested in an IT or financial career, the last place I would say is New Orleans.

Just because it's not Dallas or New York doesn't mean its not here, same thing with the Louisiana film industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 AM
 
640 posts, read 542,339 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
He/She asked about a fashion career.

"Since I can't decide based on the characteristics of the cities alone, let me ask: which city would be best for someone looking for a career in the fashion and styling worlds?"

Yes it is helping by saying NEITHER are a good choice, then giving them other possible choices in the area, as I did, and has several others have done. I gave them other options in the southeast to broaden their horizon, and also where the national/global industry takes place. Some people are unaware, as yourself it seems, and thinks that fashion must just go on everywhere...it doesn't.

If somebody asked about launching a movie career in Knoxville or St. Louis, I would tell them otherwise also. The poster has lofty goals, but isn't seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, we are trying to direct them in the right direction, where as you seem to only be concerned with some self worth you have tied up in New Orleans, for better or worse.

Career does not mean bumbling around and working at Macy's as a manager moving around Ralph Lauren and DKNY racks. Same thing that an IT career doesn't mean that you use a computer all day at the office, and so on and so forth.

The OP specifically asked which city (NOLA or Charleston) would be better for fashion. They did not ask for other cities around the country. It is pretty clear that the OP loves both cities and plans to move to one of them based on this fact. The OP hopes that a deciding factor could be each city's fashion industry.

Believe it or not, some people like to move to places based on the fact that they actually like it rather than a job.

The fact that you do not live in New Orleans gives you no credibility. If someone asked me if they could work in the music industry in Minneapolis, I would not answer because I would have no idea. I really don't like how so many people on these forums think that because they looked up some city on Wikipedia or because some city is bigger or because they visited once and stuck to the tourist traps that they know EVERYTHING going on in the city.

The rankings of top 10 largest metropolitan areas in the US are NOT an indicator of culture, success, or whatever someone is discussing...
The real indicators are the actual things going on in the city. For instance, I actually gave some sources (NOLA Fashion Week) to my response. I didn't just make some large generalization based on the fact that I got drunk on Bourbon Street one time with the frat bros in college. Or I didn't just assume every other city that is larger will obviously be a better choice.

Finally, the fact is that NOLA is a better place for the fashion industry because it breathes creativity and art (not publishing houses). One can't walk through the streets of any neighborhood in NOLA and not be inspired. That is just not possible in Dallas or any other cookie-cutter city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM
 
29 posts, read 22,054 times
Reputation: 44
Yes, Nola is anything but cookie-cutter and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I should clarify: I'm not looking to "make it big" or get rich and famous. I understand why others are recommending NYC and the like. I am looking to be in business as a personal stylist, which would involve relationships with local retailers and designers, as well as meeting with clients and so on (even travelling to meet if needed). I need to live somewhere I love, and somewhere where the atmosphere inspires me. These 2 cities fit the bill in those respects, and that has to come first for me. But there also needs to be a decent fashion scene, even something in the formative stages, that I can be a part of. Thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top