U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 PM

81 posts, read 131,905 times

Advertisements

Thinking of getting a normal job and settling down. Need advice on where to move. I'm a single white male in his 40s. Tech skills but they're a bit out of date. Also have a decent amount of sales experience. I like live music, theater, and all that artsy sort of crap. I like college towns and walkable downtown areas. Love sunshine, hate humidity, don't mind some cold as long as it doesn't last forever or bring a ton of snow with it.

Want to move someplace with a good job market, clean air, a moderate cost of living, a lot of outdoorsey stuff to do, and a fun vibe. Would be terrific if it was full of educated physically fit single women. I don't have a ton of money saved up, so would need someplace that's not too expensive and where finding a job wouldn't be a brutal ordeal.

So, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, or someplace I haven't thought of yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 PM

384 posts, read 751,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGrande View Post
Thinking of getting a normal job and settling down. Need advice on where to move. I'm a single white male in his 40s. Tech skills but they're a bit out of date. Also have a decent amount of sales experience. I like live music, theater, and all that artsy sort of crap. I like college towns and walkable downtown areas. Love sunshine, hate humidity, don't mind some cold as long as it doesn't last forever or bring a ton of snow with it.

Want to move someplace with a good job market, clean air, a moderate cost of living, a lot of outdoorsey stuff to do, and a fun vibe. Would be terrific if it was full of educated physically fit single women. I don't have a ton of money saved up, so would need someplace that's not too expensive and where finding a job wouldn't be a brutal ordeal.

So, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, or someplace I haven't thought of yet?
Well, the Southwest isn't known for having the most walkable areas. Tucson has beautiful scenery and 4th Ave is nice, but generally the economy is terrible, it's a poorly managed city, and there is a lot of sprawl. A nice place to visit, especially in the fall, but I'm not sure it fits your criteria for where to live.

Albequerque may be a little closer, but it suffers from many of the same problems. SLC is nice, and I know non-Mormons who like it there, but - I don't know - it's not the most exciting place and outside of the central city (which is fairly small) it's not very walkable - albeit, the light rail system is surprisingly good. Just don't expect much TOD.

I think, of the cities you listed, Denver is the best choice. You could choose from several different neighborhoods, it's walkable, people are fit, it has big city amenities, etc.

Also, I would seriously consider Boise. It's a great town - very underrated in my opinion. The downtown is walkable and vibrant, there is plenty of sunshine, and people are friendly and love outdoor activities, and it has a good bar scene. It's not as big and doesn't have the cultural amenities of Denver, but it still gets national acts, has theatre, arts, etc. Plus, it has a very diverse economy for a metro of ~600,000 people. Not to mention, one of the best college football teams in the country plays right there!

Both Denver and Boise are warm, sunny cities for much of the year, but they both do get fairly cold in the winter and they both get snow - (although nothing like the midwest or East Coast).

Anyway, I seriously stress looking into Boise - from what you describe it sounds like it could be a good fit.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 AM

9,565 posts, read 18,896,491 times
I like live music, theater - Denver

and all that artsy sort of crap - Albuquerque, and Santa Fe up the road, very artsy fartsy

I like college towns - all of the them are college towns, places like Tucson and Fort Collins the colleges are a lifeblood for thoe cities.

and walkable downtown areas - Denver, most of the other downtowns are pretty lackluster. The college area in Albuquerque (Nob Hill) is very vibrant and walkable

Love sunshine, hate humidity, - Tucson & Albuquerque

don't mind some cold as long as it doesn't last forever or bring a ton of snow with it. - Albuquerque. If you don't like winter definitely take Colorado & Salt Lake out, they thrive on winter.

Want to move someplace with a good job market - Salt Lake City? Honestly I question the economy in all the US cities.

clean air - Albuquerque, Colorado Springs

a moderate cost of living - Albuquerque

lot of outdoorsey stuff to do - All of them

a fun vibe - Denver, Albuquerque, Tucson

Would be terrific if it was full of educated physically fit single women - DENVER!!!.

I don't have a ton of money saved up, so would need someplace that's not too expensive and where finding a job wouldn't be a brutal ordeal. - Good luck!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:55 AM

21,703 posts, read 31,577,057 times
I agree regarding Denver, Boise and also think Salt Lake has a lot going for it as a surprisingly progressive place to live. I would also add Fort Collins and Boulder to your list for walkability and things to do since they're vibrant college towns. Boulder itself is rather expensive but neighboring towns like Louisville are not.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM

81 posts, read 131,905 times
Looks like Denver and Albuquerque are in the lead so far.

I never considered Boise because I've always thought of it as very very cold and snowy. Looked it up online and the temps seems about the same as Denver with less snow. So I guess it's on the list now too.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM

384 posts, read 751,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGrande View Post
Looks like Denver and Albuquerque are in the lead so far.

I never considered Boise because I've always thought of it as very very cold and snowy. Looked it up online and the temps seems about the same as Denver with less snow. So I guess it's on the list now too.
I'm telling you - Boise is definitely worth visiting and considering for your move. It's beautiful, has mostly warm dry weather, tons of outdoor activities, college town, relatively diverse economy, walkable downtown, affordable, etc.

I would suggest visiting Denver, Boise, and Albequerque and making your choice from there.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM

9,565 posts, read 18,896,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
I would suggest visiting Denver, Boise, and Albuquerque and making your choice from there.
I agree, I'd also narrow it down to those three based on your criteria. Although with Denver on the map already, I like the idea of living in emerging cities of the next decade which Albuquerque and Boise definitely seem to be on the road to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City