U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Charlotte
Minneapolis 79 69.91%
Charlotte 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM

3,220 posts, read 5,805,691 times
Culture: Minneapolis
Education: Charlotte
Entertainment: Minneapolis
Diversity: Minneapolis
Transit/Transportation: Minneapolis
Urbanity: Minneapolis
Weather: Charlotte
jobs ( of course !): Charlotte
making friends: Minneapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM

10,412 posts, read 6,062,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I don't know much about these two, but I'd go with Minneapolis. It seems really cool. Charlotte just doesn't do anything for me.
Did you not just say in the Jax vs. Charlotte thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I can only give information on Jacksonville since I have nevr been to Charlotte.
How can Charlotte not "do anything for you" and you've never been there?????

Old 09-08-2011, 06:36 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,219,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post

There are no jobs in Charlotte, are ya kidding.....................
Education in MSP is far better, weather is better too.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,191,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
The Charlotte area does not have better schools than the Minneapolis area, especially when it come to colleges and universities. Also, Minneapolis currently has a much better job market than Charlotte. The Minneapolis area has a 7.5% unemployment rate whereas Charlotte is at 11.2% unemployed. Weather is very much debatable and is really a preference, but the rest of the criteria can be backed with statistics.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM

252 posts, read 216,686 times
11 votes for Charlotte and not one person has stated her / his opinion. So, who is voting; homers or the anti-MPLS crowd? Might as well close the thread.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM

9 posts, read 7,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
11 votes for Charlotte and not one person has stated her / his opinion. So, who is voting; homers or the anti-MPLS crowd? Might as well close the thread.
I think the lack of responses from those who voted for Charlotte clearly points out that Minneapolis has Charlotte beat in most of the criteria listed. It might have to do with people either just preferring Charlotte (for whatever reason), having no idea about Minneapolis, or not liking Minneapolis. No one wants to admit their city is lacking to another city in almost every category.

Here is my take:
Education: Minneapolis
Weather:
jobs ( of course !): Minneapolis
making friends:

Old 09-08-2011, 01:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,387,121 times
Culture: Minneapolis. It's a larger, and more diverse area that is very well established in the arts and education. To be fair though, Charlotte is not exactly void of it as some might think.

Education: Minneapolis. The Minneapolis area is one of the best in the country in terms of K-12 education. It also blows Charlotte away in terms of higher education. Minneapolis is also ranked very high in terms of educational attainment.

Entertainment: Minneapolis. For a metro of it's size, Minneapolis has TONS in terms of entertainment. In my experience, it was surprisingly on par with larger cities like Seattle, Houston, and Dallas in terms of entertainment. Charlotte on the other hand is very lacking in entertainment compared to some other metros its size. This might be due to the fact that Charlotte has grown so quickly. It takes time for a city and it's amenities to catch up to it's population growth.

Diversity: Minneapolis. The Charlotte area is more diverse than it gets credit for, but the Twin Cities are definitely more diverse at the moment.

Transit/Transportation: Minneapolis. Mass transit in the Twin Cities is pretty good and convenient. Mass transit in Charlotte is awful. Minneapolis also has more of a grid system which makes it easier to navigate in a car. Both have pretty decent highways.

Urbanity: Minneapolis. Charlotte is not very urban at all. Minneapolis is visually much more urban as it is denser and much more pedestrian friendly.

Weather: Charlotte. I think people forget how hot it can get in Minneapolis during the summer. Obviously Charlotte is hotter, but it's not like Minneapolis has a perfect and mild summer. Mid-June through Mid-September may be a little better in Minneapolis, but the rest of the year is WAY nicer in Charlotte.

Jobs: Minneapolis. It's economy is in better shape, and it's a bigger metro with a more diversified economy.

Making Friends: Not sure. People in Minneapolis seemed to be more outgoing, but I really haven't spent enough time in either to have a definite opinion on this. I have a few friends in both cities, and neither of them had any trouble making friends in their respective city.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM

2,650 posts, read 2,091,836 times
I've been to both, but I'm no expert in either. Here's my opinion:

Culture: Minneapolis has been around longer, and I prefer the culture there. There were many museums, art and music throughout the city.
Education: Minneapolis - Based on research, it seems MSP has much more in terms of Higher Education.
Entertainment: Minneapolis - More sports in MSP, stronger art/performing art scene, and better music scene.
Diversity: Don't know.
Transit/Transportation: Minneapolis with one line, commuter rail and a great bike network!
Urbanity: Minneapolis for sure! Charlotte is not exactly urban.
Weather: Hmmm...I'm going with Charlotte.
jobs ( of course !): MSP has the better unemployment rate by far.
making friends: Don't know.

I prefer Minneapolis over Charlotte.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM

513 posts, read 519,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did you not just say in the Jax vs. Charlotte thread:

How can Charlotte not "do anything for you" and you've never been there?????
There's plenty of places I've never been but would want to visit because of what I've heard and seen (Ex: SF, Chicago, Seattle, MINNEAPOlIS). But Charlotte isn't somewhere that I really want to visit. The location, skyline, economy, weather, environment, nothing really makes me want to visit it.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM

4,113 posts, read 1,874,962 times
Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City