U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Charlotte
Minneapolis 79 69.91%
Charlotte 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM

11,044 posts, read 6,809,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
There's plenty of places I've never been but would want to visit because of what I've heard and seen (Ex: SF, Chicago, Seattle, MINNEAPOlIS). But Charlotte isn't somewhere that I really want to visit. The location, skyline, economy, weather, environment, nothing really makes me want to visit it.
I don't know what skyline, economy, weather, environment, etc. really have to do with wanting to visit. Those aren't factors in and of themselves as there are cities that get tons of visitors that span the spectrum on these characteristics. You have cities with lowrise/no skylines that get visitors (Charleston, Savannah, DC) and cities with huge skylines that get visitors (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco). You have cities with economies based on everything under the sun that get visitors. Cities with varieties of climates--hot, cold, and in between--attract lots of visitors.

Maybe you just haven't traveled much, but there have been cities out there that I didn't think much of in either a positive or negative way that made a surprisingly positive impression in some way. And then there's been the opposite: hyped-up cities that disappoint. There's even a thread somewhere on here that talks about that. And there's a difference between not wanting to visit a city and saying a city does nothing for you. When you say it "does nothing for you," that means you've had some kind of firsthand experience with the city and can say from a personal and not vicarious standpoint that it didn't really move you. You can't say that just from looking at pictures on Flickr and participating in discussions here on C-D. You've actually got to visit in person in order to come into contact with that intangible essence of cities that cannot be conveyed via these impersonal means of communication. It seems that you being from Jacksonville of all places, the city that lives in the shadow of every other large city in Florda, would have an understanding of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM

3,768 posts, read 3,338,949 times
I don't understand this. Unless you are actually moving to one or the other, i don't see the point of comparing a city of under 2 million people to a city of 3.5 million people. Charlotte doesn't really fall under the category of "Big City" for me yet (although i think its a major city)..Minneapolis however does. I haven't even been to North Carolina before, so i can't realy compare.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 PM

518 posts, read 552,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know what skyline, economy, weather, environment, etc. really have to do with wanting to visit. Those aren't factors in and of themselves as there are cities that get tons of visitors that span the spectrum on these characteristics. You have cities with lowrise/no skylines that get visitors (Charleston, Savannah, DC) and cities with huge skylines that get visitors (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco). You have cities with economies based on everything under the sun that get visitors. Cities with varieties of climates--hot, cold, and in between--attract lots of visitors.

Maybe you just haven't traveled much, but there have been cities out there that I didn't think much of in either a positive or negative way that made a surprisingly positive impression in some way. And then there's been the opposite: hyped-up cities that disappoint. There's even a thread somewhere on here that talks about that. And there's a difference between not wanting to visit a city and saying a city does nothing for you. When you say it "does nothing for you," that means you've had some kind of firsthand experience with the city and can say from a personal and not vicarious standpoint that it didn't really move you. You can't say that just from looking at pictures on Flickr and participating in discussions here on C-D. You've actually got to visit in person in order to come into contact with that intangible essence of cities that cannot be conveyed via these impersonal means of communication. It seems that you being from Jacksonville of all places, the city that lives in the shadow of every other large city in Florda, would have an understanding of this.
Please keep Jacksonville out of this. I'm sick of people brining it up like it means something when I say something about another city. It doesn't.

Now, when I think of environment, I think of urban, suburban, rural, forests, jungle, ocean, mountain, hill, all of it. None of it Charlotte makes me want to visit. I've traveled to every region of this country except the PNW. I've been to LA, Las Vegas, NYC, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Cleveland, and Niagara Falls. I think I've traveled enough places. I'm sorry, Charlotte in no way, shape, or form has interested me in the least bit. I'm not going to go somewhere just to go. I want to have a reason for why I'm going.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Please keep Jacksonville out of this. I'm sick of people brining it up like it means something when I say something about another city. It doesn't.
Actually, in this case, it pretty much does and I made the case for why it does. But moving on...

Quote:
Now, when I think of environment, I think of urban, suburban, rural, forests, jungle, ocean, mountain, hill, all of it. None of it Charlotte makes me want to visit. I've traveled to every region of this country except the PNW. I've been to LA, Las Vegas, NYC, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Cleveland, and Niagara Falls. I think I've traveled enough places. I'm sorry, Charlotte in no way, shape, or form has interested me in the least bit. I'm not going to go somewhere just to go. I want to have a reason for why I'm going.
There are all sorts of reasons to visit a place: you have family/friends there, you're attending a special event there, it's unique, etc. The vast majority of cities I've visited have been to attend a special event (e.g., convention), and that includes cities that are generally regarded as fairly interesting. Now Charlotte isn't some cultural hotbed or anything, nor does it have a particularly interesting geographical setting, but it has been large enough for some time now to host semi-major to major sporting events (NBA All Star weekend, NASCAR races, NCAA tournaments, CIAA tournament, etc.) and is beginning to flex its muscles when it comes to nationally important events also (Democratic National Convention next year). Perhaps at some point in the future something might interest you enough to visit, but at the same time what I stated previously still holds: you can't say a city "doesn't do anything for you" when you have not personally experienced it. That's completely different from saying that you have no practical reason to visit it and it boggles me that you can't grasp the difference. Sorry dude, but just knowing basic facts on paper and looking at photo threads doesn't substitute for an actual in-person visit.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
There are all sorts of reasons to visit a place: you have family/friends there, you're attending a special event there, it's unique, etc. The vast majority of cities I've visited have been to attend a special event (e.g., convention), and that includes cities that are generally regarded as fairly interesting. Now Charlotte isn't some cultural hotbed or anything, nor does it have a particularly interesting geographical setting, but it has been large enough for some time now to host semi-major to major sporting events (NBA All Star weekend, NASCAR races, NCAA tournaments, CIAA tournament, etc.) and is beginning to flex its muscles when it comes to nationally important events also (Democratic National Convention next year). Perhaps at some point in the future something might interest you enough to visit, but at the same time what I stated previously still holds: you can't say a city "doesn't do anything for you" when you have not personally experienced it. That's completely different from saying that you have no practical reason to visit it and it boggles me that you can't grasp the difference. Sorry dude, but just knowing basic facts on paper and looking at photo threads doesn't substitute for an actual in-person visit.
Well no event has made me want to visit, I have no family, and I don't find it to be interesting or unique. I drive through it all the time on my way to Cleveland (family there!) and it looks fine but nothing has made me want to get off the highway and stay there for a couple of days.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Well no event has made me want to visit, I have no family, and I don't find it to be interesting or unique. I drive through it all the time on my way to Cleveland (family there!) and it looks fine but nothing has made me want to get off the highway and stay there for a couple of days.
And that's fine. Having no practical reason to visit is still different from it "not doing anything for you," just driving through included. Just recognize the difference. Furthermore, Charlotte is much more known as a livable city than a city to be a tourist in.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-09-2011 at 03:59 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
And that's fine. Having no practical reason to visit is still different from it "not doing anything for you," just driving through included. Just recognize the difference. Furthermore, Charlotte is much more known as a livable city than a city to be a tourist in.
Ok, well what should I say?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 AM

2,701 posts, read 2,243,254 times
Quote:
Ok, well what should I say?
Nothing. As the other poster just pointed out, you shouldn't visit Charlotte unless you want to live there for its liveability. This translates to practical, but not necessarily exciting/unique IMO...hence it not being a place for tourism.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Nothing. As the other poster just pointed out, you shouldn't visit Charlotte unless you want to live there for its liveability. This translates to practical, but not necessarily exciting/unique IMO...hence it not being a place for tourism.
Well I didn't exactly say that he shouldn't visit Charlotte unless he wants to live there. Charlotte gets most of its visitors via special events and I said perhaps in the future, something will be going on in the city that might entice him to visit.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Status: "Shut the front door, it gets cold in Minnesota" (set 29 days ago)

587 posts, read 801,320 times
Pretty easy one sided comparison.

Culture: MSP
Education: MSP (both K-12, and higher ed)
Entertainment: MSP
Diversity: MSP
Transit/Transportation: MSP
Urbanity: MSP
Weather:MSP (I like cooler weather)
jobs ( of course !) MSP
making friends: CLT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City