Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Charlotte
Minneapolis 79 69.91%
Charlotte 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Actually, I was thinking about the "BBW" I met in Minneapolis the last time I was there. She was cute. If most girls in the Twin Cities are skinny, you can have that bruh.
Haha. I'm not really into the stick figures either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Its funny how the conversation has changed from "Minneapolis is more diverse than Charlotte", to "Well, Minneapolis is actually more diverse than it appears". The numbers are, what they are. These are 2007 numbers below, but you get the point....
The argument is that diversity isn't always skin deep. For most people, this is true. Here in Cleveland (East Side), it's basically black and white. While technically it's at least 50% non-white, it's "diverse", but in terms of cultural diversity, it's nearly 100% "American Christian or Jewish". So which is the real definition of diversity? What FEELS truly diverse? To some people, it's skin color. To others, it's ethnicity/culture. Even others.....both.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I came to this thread because it headlined two of my favorite cities---Charlotte and Minneapolis

I also came expecting to see a lively discourse between posters, offering information, and reasons why they believe either city stands out...what I DIDN'T expect was the latter pages of the thread to turn into some blustering back-and-forth p****ng contest, complete with unnecessary (yeah, I said it---unnecessary) barbs, insults, and clandestine attacks on folks' manhood...

Let the record show, as a black man, most times, I really don't care how many of us there are in a given location as opposed to whites or other races...I also don't care much about corporate headquarters...I have physically visited Charlotte, and the closest I've been to Mpls is photo threads on this forum and others, and a long-ago subscription to Mpls-StPaul magazine...

I care about quality of life...shopping (for Mrs Catfish's sake LOL)...sports, both pro and collegiate (Mpls has NBA MLB NFL NHL...CLT has NFL NBA)...libraries, movie theaters, museums, dining (upscale AND non-upscale)...

And further, the D word (diversity) is getting tossed around here like a fast-deflating volleyball...at the age of 55, I don't much care WHAT color my neighbors are, as long as they're GOOD neighbors...and CLT and Mpls seem to both have good people within their city limits...

So to close, I'll open another small can of worms here...the one area that would most likely affect our final decision is---weather...I'm originally from Cleveland, so I can say I'm used to some cold and snow...but Mrs Catfish suffers from MS, and she basically shut down any notion of going to a cold-weather area like Mpls, saying she wants to go 'warmer' for our next move...

This is not a slam or rip of any kind against Mpls, but just a truth---it does get cold and snowy up that way, and based on the weather aspect alone, CLT would win out...but Mpls, weather notwithstanding, does strike me as an equally good place to hang my hat...LOL---hopefully I've made good sense with some of the things I've said here, and I hope I can have a hand in turning the thread back to some form of civility
Good post with good points....however:

Weather can be "inclimate" BOTH ways. I'm a sweater with chronic pain and have a tendency to "run hot". Hot, humid summer weather in places like Charlotte are nasty experiences for people like me, or just about anyone who doesn't want their clothes to be soaked in sweat and needs 2 or 3 outfit changes a day. High heat also makes me feel sluggish, slow, sickly and pretty much miserable. Either way (hot or cold), BOTH cities have very very livable weather 8 months of the year.....shocker!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Notice how those numbers change year to year? MSP International has been in the top 10 numerous times, but has dropped off a bit since Northwest merged with Delta. It's still one of the best airports in the US and will remain one of the busiest. That being said, how Charlotte's boarding ranking makes it a better city than others is beyond me. It's not
Charlotte actually has risen very high in the airport ranks over the past 10-15 years for whatever reason. MSP is more of a legacy airport and will always be in that "next tier" of major airports, just like Charlotte will. I believe Charlotte is and has been busier for a good decade now.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Without this turning into a "Minneapolis is metropolis and Charlotte is mayberry thread" (which it already has in some ways), it is fair to note that Minneapolis has a MSA with nearly 6,400 sq/miles of land. Charlotte's MSA (1.8 million as of 2011) has only 3,100 sq/miles of land. An extra 3,300 sq/miles would increase Charlotte's metro population by 700,000 (2.5 million) and would increase the GDP by nearly $40 billion or so (maybe more). Please note that someone has already increased Minneapolis's city limits to 300 sq/miles in a previous post, so it is only fair that we do the same with Charlotte's MSA don't ya think?

Now, just imagine if Charlotte had NC's state capital on the other side of the Catawba river (thus helping "Charlotte" boost its MSA stats even further). Trust me, there isn't a city nearby to Charlotte that can host a Republican National Convention. Take away St. Paul, and . Well, you know...

FWIW, Minneapolis/St. Paul beats Charlotte in every category except weather and landing next years DNC convention. The airport is debatable.

That said, why not just post pics and videos from both cities (something that would actually help the OP; because folks who are looking to relocate aren't really interested in the nerdy arguments we tend to get into on the forums).
It doesn't work like that either......"Urbanized Area" is the only true way to calculate density/urbanity. The urbanized area of both cities is vastly different than the figures you provided. IN fact, I believe you have the CSA data for Minneapolis, but I could be wrong. MSP does not have ONE county that is 100% urbanized, because of its geographic growth, it follows the rivers that define county lines, so the population in bunched on the borders of many/most metro counties. That is why it's difficult to use that criteria for measuing urbanity. Think of doing that with a West Coast metro, and the numbers would be staggering, since the counties out West are bigger than some states out East!!

Weather is subjective, btw, and I personally think a lot of Northerners who aren't used to the high, humid heat of the South will find it to be intolerable and move back North. The percentage? I have no idea -- 15%-50%......just a hunch.

Minneapolis-St. Paul had the RNC last election, so why wouldn't that be a tie?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It doesn't work like that either......"Urbanized Area" is the only true way to calculate density/urbanity. The urbanized area of both cities is vastly different than the figures you provided. IN fact, I believe you have the CSA data for Minneapolis, but I could be wrong. MSP does not have ONE county that is 100% urbanized, because of its geographic growth, it follows the rivers that define county lines, so the population in bunched on the borders of many/most metro counties. That is why it's difficult to use that criteria for measuing urbanity. Think of doing that with a West Coast metro, and the numbers would be staggering, since the counties out West are bigger than some states out East!!

Weather is subjective, btw, and I personally think a lot of Northerners who aren't used to the high, humid heat of the South will find it to be intolerable and move back North. The percentage? I have no idea -- 15%-50%......just a hunch.

Minneapolis-St. Paul had the RNC last election, so why wouldn't that be a tie?
I was not measuring which city is more urban. "Blackout" understood my point.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
I was not measuring which city is more urban. "Blackout" understood my point.

You didnt answer her Question about Minnie hosting to RNC....

Old 09-21-2011, 04:43 PM

HIS question.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post

How does a Minneapolis MSA comparison to the Charlotte CSA equate to two cities against one? Or are you trying to say this should strictly be a city of Minneapolis vs. the city of Charlotte thread?

No, THAT incident wasn't the reason. The Democrats went with Charlotte because NC will be very important state for them in 2012. That said, it made more sense for the party, not necessarily because Charlotte will be a better host.

u

IMO, one of the reasons why MSP International is better than Charlotte Douglas is because of light rail. I can jump on the Hiawatha line near downtown and take the train to the station under Lindbergh Terminal or take it to the station at the Humphrey Terminal.

BTW, I have absolutely nothing against the Charlotte area. My only issue has been with QC Dreamin's ridiculous post(s).

There are plenty of outdoor activities to be enjoyed throughout the year in the TC area too my friend. Also, nice attempt at stating people in the MPLS area are heavy. As I've stated before, I've lived in both areas and MPLS people seem a bit more active and fit than Charlotte people.
Blackout what did I say that ridiculous? Minneapolis is bigger, no one has argued against that. All I have done is defend Charlotte against erroneous attacks and assumptions.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
You sure don't act like your 31...And you certaintly don't seem like you've been out of Charlotte. Just admit that Minneapolis has more to offer than Charlotte! Its not to bash Charlotte, but its just the truth.
because if I did it would be a lie! As a black male to me Charlotte has more to offer me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City