Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which neighborhood would you rather live in?
Midtown Manhattan (NY) 21 24.71%
Hollywood (CA) 6 7.06%
Edgewater (IL) 0 0%
North Scottsdale (AZ) 5 5.88%
La Jolla (CA) 13 15.29%
Russian Hill (CA) 6 7.06%
Back Bay (MA) 11 12.94%
Georgetown (DC) 7 8.24%
Buckhead (GA) 11 12.94%
Coconut Grove (FL) 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,388,185 times

Advertisements

Of those choices, La Jolla.

If the Hollywood Hills were a choice (preferably above the Sunset Strip), I'd live there. You get the great city life without having to live in a building. Midtown Manhattan, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,507,992 times
Back Bay

Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,920,063 times
Uptown Manhattan is probably seen as more the wealthy residential district of NYC, particularly Park Avenue, although pretty much any real estate in Manhattan is going to be expensive compared to other cities.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:42 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,814,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You must see movie stars all the time, mowing their lawns, or driving their ferraris down to Rodeo Drive to do some light shopping.
Yeah, definitely. I live 2 blocks from the Rodeo strip, and every time I leave my place, I see Ferraris, Lambos, Rolls, basically any car that costs 6 figures that you can think of.

I also saw my absolute dream car, a Lamborghini Reventon, a few days ago:

(copyright-free Wikipedia image)
They only made 20 of them. Didn't recognize the guy driving; looked to be late 30's or so. Probably a business mogul.

A pretty good number of celebrities do go shopping and dining all up and down Rodeo and Beverly, as well as along Wilshire (the big department stores like Barney's, Saks, Nieman Marcus are all around there). I've seen a pretty good number of celebrities around. It's old hat to me since I lived in Venice before... I barely notice! I also don't watch TV and see maybe 1 new movie per year... so I don't recognize them in the first place

Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, definitely. I live 2 blocks from the Rodeo strip, and every time I leave my place, I see Ferraris, Lambos, Rolls, basically any car that costs 6 figures that you can think of.

I also saw my absolute dream car, a Lamborghini Reventon, a few days ago:

(copyright-free Wikipedia image)
They only made 20 of them. Didn't recognize the guy driving; looked to be late 30's or so. Probably a business mogul.

A pretty good number of celebrities do go shopping and dining all up and down Rodeo and Beverly, as well as along Wilshire (the big department stores like Barney's, Saks, Nieman Marcus are all around there). I've seen a pretty good number of celebrities around. It's old hat to me since I lived in Venice before... I barely notice! I also don't watch TV and see maybe 1 new movie per year... so I don't recognize them in the first place
You could be a part-time paparazzi person in your spare time, lol.

I went on one of those homes of the stars tours and, of course, didn't see a single celebrity, not even a B-list or C-list one. Not that that was part of the tour, however we were hoping to get lucky.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
You could be a part-time paparazzi person in your spare time, lol.

I went on one of those homes of the stars tours and, of course, didn't see a single celebrity, not even a B-list or C-list one. Not that that was part of the tour, however we were hoping to get lucky.
I sat at a table next to Lance Armstrong for lunch a couple weeks ago

Was at a light with the top down listening to "Mexicola" by Queens of the Stone Age, when Josh Homme (lead singer of QOTSA) pulls up next to me in a Bronco and we exchange compliments

I also was pulling out of the driveway and got caught up in Heidi Klum's motorcade - she was right behind me and there were three black Yukons, one of which was in front of me... one of them surged forward and tried to cut me off... little road rage incident occured... that was cute

I've seen some A-listers walking around Rodeo, but they tend to have people do that stuff for them.

It's all very, very surreal, I'll tell you...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I sat at a table next to Lance Armstrong for lunch a couple weeks ago

Was at a light with the top down listening to "Mexicola" by Queens of the Stone Age, when Josh Homme (lead singer of QOTSA) pulls up next to me in a Bronco and we exchange compliments

I also was pulling out of the driveway and got caught up in Heidi Klum's motorcade - she was right behind me and there were three black Yukons, one of which was in front of me... one of them surged forward and tried to cut me off... little road rage incident occured... that was cute

I've seen some A-listers walking around Rodeo, but they tend to have people do that stuff for them.

It's all very, very surreal, I'll tell you...
I liked the QOTSA story . What a coincidence.

Do you ever get used to seeing celebs all the time? I'm not that into the whole celebrity thing, but it still be pretty surreal to see a movie star in real life. I think the initial excitement would wear off when you realise they are just people.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
I liked the QOTSA story . What a coincidence.

Do you ever get used to seeing celebs all the time? I'm not that into the whole celebrity thing, but it still be pretty surreal to see a movie star in real life. I think the initial excitement would wear off when you realise they are just people.
Yeah, absolutely. Again, I'm not big into celebrities or stars... I don't even know who 95% of them are... so it's totally not a big deal, at all, to me, and never has been. If there's a crowd gathered and someone's like "OH MY GOD ANGELINA JOLIE @@#$%#@%!!!!11!!!1!!!" I'll shrug and walk away.

The only times that I can recall having been super-excited over was Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols: one of my stated life goals was to hear Johnny Rotten insult someone with my own ears, and I did ("poncey f___in' f_____."); and Matt Damon, due in part to the fact that we went to the same high school and had the same theatre teacher. I met him when I was in high school and worked across the street from said high school in the pizza place... he came in for a slice, and we had a chat. Then, when I was working at a hotel in Santa Monica, he came down because he was bored to chat with us. Totally cool guy. I also got to meet Keith Flint of the Prodigy, who was the nicest guy you could possibly imagine... kind of funny when compared to his image. Dev Patel is also a really stand-up, super-mellow and friendly guy.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,760,780 times
As a home base, all things considered, I like Georgetown. Some places on this list are ok like Back Bay or Russian Hill but I prefer the cosmopolitan atmosphere in D.C. Midtown can be fun to visit but can become stressful. The other choices would become boring fast.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 AM

224 posts, read 346,672 times
Midtown Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City