Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Montreal vs Boston
Montreal 52 49.06%
Boston 54 50.94%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
But it isn't - most bands sing in the language of rock n roll, English. Visual art can be appreciated even if you can't read. I've spent a lot of time there, I've booked bands from Montreal all across North America, I have a number of friends there, have had friends get married to local gals/move there, have booked bands from the US in Montreal, etc. The statement is false. I could see thinking it were true if you lacked any personal experience with the local scene, however.
Well, there's not really much that I can add to what's already been said. There are now two pages following the quoted post with a number of posters- including one who lives in Quebec and others who are far better versed in Quebecois culture than you- acknowledging the fact that your "insight" is laughably ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The majority of popular/rock songs in non-English speaking countries are still performed in English to this day. I'm not sure why this would be hard to understand. In an English-speaking country, regardless of a French majority, the % will be even higher.
So? The majority of pop/rock songs in English speaking countries may still be performed in English (I've heard cover bands in Japan, India, Canada, Turkey, Switzerland, etc. all perform in English). In my opinion, it's hard to call cover bands an integral part of any city/region/country's music culture. At best it's a minuscule portion. I've been to Lisbon. I heard plenty of English rock covers in local bars. However when I think of Lisbon/Portuguese music culture, I don't consider it English speaking simply because covers in bars are often done in English. When I think of Portuguese music culture I think of the Portuguese language and genres like Fado. Montreal is no different. The majority of real music culture (beyond rock cover bands) is French. Even Celine Dion who is arguably the biggest international talent out of Quebec began her career solely in French and still records in French.

*Edit*
After reading more of the posts in this thread, I can't believe I even bothered wasting keystrokes to refute some of the garbage cheese plate tossed out there.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
So? The majority of pop/rock songs in English speaking countries may still be performed in English (I've heard cover bands in Japan, India, Canada, Turkey, Switzerland, etc. all perform in English). In my opinion, it's hard to call cover bands an integral part of any city/region/country's music culture. At best it's a minuscule portion. I've been to Lisbon. I heard plenty of English rock covers in local bars. However when I think of Lisbon/Portuguese music culture, I don't consider it English speaking simply because covers in bars are often done in English. When I think of Portuguese music culture I think of the Portuguese language and genres like Fado. Montreal is no different. The majority of real music culture (beyond rock cover bands) is French. Even Celine Dion who is arguably the biggest international talent out of Quebec began her career solely in French and still records in French.

*Edit*
After reading more of the posts in this thread, I can't believe I even bothered wasting keystrokes to refute some of the garbage cheese plate tossed out there.
Even more absurd (in addition to being totally inaccurate) is the insinuation that Montreal doesn't have a popular, homegrown rock music scene in French.

Around 15 of those top-selling albums on that list I posted earlier are rock or pop-rock albums in French.

What cheese plate is doing is taking the little anglo rock music bubble he is familiar with and extrapolating it onto the entire music scene, and even the entire city.

From where I stand it's entirely possible to interact primarily with francophone artists from places like Ottawa, Ontario or Moncton, New Brunswick, and conclude that French dominates the scene in those two places, in spite of the fact that they are primarily anglophone cities.

But no one draws conclusions like that. They know better.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Food: I place Boston as a upper 2nd tier food city with a chance to enter the top tier eventually, but Montreal is already an elite food city. You can basically get all the International "stuff" similar to Boston, but while I love New England cuisine and seafood there is something truly special about Quebecois cuisine and the local chef culture in Montreal. Easily one of the best places to eat on the continent. Food: Montreal.

Weather: It is really difficult for me to give either city the advantage here. But excluding this extremely sh*tty year I guess Boston comes out ahead slightly. Weather: Boston

Economy: Montreal always seems to maintain steady economic growth and a low unemployment rate. Unfortunately the economy does not have any booming and dominant industries like Boston. Boston positioning itself as a Life Sciences, Healthcare and Innovation economy has done wonders for the economic growth in the area. Economy: Boston

Architecture: Old Montreal is a gem, similar to the older parts of Boston. Overall though I find Boston more polished architecturally and better maintained. Architecture: Boston

Arts: Both cities have large professional artist communities. I believe Montreal per capita has the largest in Canada and Boston is 3rd according to the NEA. Montreal though takes that to the next level and seems to connect the general community with the artistic community much better than Boston. Thankfully Boston hired a new "Art Czar" that seems to be taking the city in the right direction. But it will be years before it can be mentioned with the heavy hitters like Montreal. Arts: Montreal.

Shopping: Just going off of personal experience shopping in both cities, I would call it a tie. According to my wife who is quite stylish, she likes shopping for women's clothes in Montreal better than in Boston. On the other hand I find the selection of mens clothes better in Boston. Shopping: Tie

Parks/Recreation: Mount Royal has no peer in this discussion, but I would take the Boston park system in its entirety over Montreal. The emerald necklace and esplanade are truly world class green spaces. This is very close, but slight advantage Boston. As far as recreation is concerned it seems like both cities utilize their urban and green spaces well. It doesn't matter the time of the year, you see people out running, walking, skating, sporting, etc...so recreation wise I would call it a draw as they both come across as active cities. Parks/Recreation: Tie

Vibrancy: People want to live and play in the urban areas of both cities. The streets are always filled with people going about their lives. They both have a nice steady and comfortable vibrancy to them. Vibrancy: Tie

COL (/QOL): Quality of life I never comment on because it is too subjective. Cost of living though this is not even close. Boston is one of the most expensive metros in the country and Montreal is a bargain. COL: Montreal.

Safety: They are both very safe areas. There would be no reason to feel uncomfortable in either of them. Overall though I would assume statistically Montreal comes out a bit ahead. Safety: Montreal.

Public Transit/Walkability: Public Transit I give the edge to Montreal. Their subway system is better maintained that the T by far. Walkability, they are both wonderful walking cities, about equal in my mind. PT: Montreal.

Suburbs: Montreal's suburbs seem to embrace alot of what is wrong with suburbia. Great main core, but very uninteresting suburbs. Boston's suburbs are independent towns that developed on their own and it shows. Most have nice town centres and a vibrancy to them that is tough to match. Suburbs: Boston

Easily two of my favorite places on the continent. Would be a happy camper spending time or living in either one.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:27 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Food: I place Boston as a upper 2nd tier food city with a chance to enter the top tier eventually, but Montreal is already an elite food city. You can basically get all the International "stuff" similar to Boston, but while I love New England cuisine and seafood there is something truly special about Quebecois cuisine and the local chef culture in Montreal. Easily one of the best places to eat on the continent. Food: Montreal.

Weather: It is really difficult for me to give either city the advantage here. But excluding this extremely sh*tty year I guess Boston comes out ahead slightly. Weather: Boston

Economy: Montreal always seems to maintain steady economic growth and a low unemployment rate. Unfortunately the economy does not have any booming and dominant industries like Boston. Boston positioning itself as a Life Sciences, Healthcare and Innovation economy has done wonders for the economic growth in the area. Economy: Boston

Architecture: Old Montreal is a gem, similar to the older parts of Boston. Overall though I find Boston more polished architecturally and better maintained. Architecture: Boston

Arts: Both cities have large professional artist communities. I believe Montreal per capita has the largest in Canada and Boston is 3rd according to the NEA. Montreal though takes that to the next level and seems to connect the general community with the artistic community much better than Boston. Thankfully Boston hired a new "Art Czar" that seems to be taking the city in the right direction. But it will be years before it can be mentioned with the heavy hitters like Montreal. Arts: Montreal.

Shopping: Just going off of personal experience shopping in both cities, I would call it a tie. According to my wife who is quite stylish, she likes shopping for women's clothes in Montreal better than in Boston. On the other hand I find the selection of mens clothes better in Boston. Shopping: Tie

Parks/Recreation: Mount Royal has no peer in this discussion, but I would take the Boston park system in its entirety over Montreal. The emerald necklace and esplanade are truly world class green spaces. This is very close, but slight advantage Boston. As far as recreation is concerned it seems like both cities utilize their urban and green spaces well. It doesn't matter the time of the year, you see people out running, walking, skating, sporting, etc...so recreation wise I would call it a draw as they both come across as active cities. Parks/Recreation: Tie

Vibrancy: People want to live and play in the urban areas of both cities. The streets are always filled with people going about their lives. They both have a nice steady and comfortable vibrancy to them. Vibrancy: Tie

COL (/QOL): Quality of life I never comment on because it is too subjective. Cost of living though this is not even close. Boston is one of the most expensive metros in the country and Montreal is a bargain. COL: Montreal.

Safety: They are both very safe areas. There would be no reason to feel uncomfortable in either of them. Overall though I would assume statistically Montreal comes out a bit ahead. Safety: Montreal.

Public Transit/Walkability: Public Transit I give the edge to Montreal. Their subway system is better maintained that the T by far. Walkability, they are both wonderful walking cities, about equal in my mind. PT: Montreal.

Suburbs: Montreal's suburbs seem to embrace alot of what is wrong with suburbia. Great main core, but very uninteresting suburbs. Boston's suburbs are independent towns that developed on their own and it shows. Most have nice town centres and a vibrancy to them that is tough to match. Suburbs: Boston

Easily two of my favorite places on the continent. Would be a happy camper spending time or living in either one.
Good post.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even more absurd (in addition to being totally inaccurate) is the insinuation that Montreal doesn't have a popular, homegrown rock music scene in French.

Around 15 of those top-selling albums on that list I posted earlier are rock or pop-rock albums in French.

What cheese plate is doing is taking the little anglo rock music bubble he is familiar with and extrapolating it onto the entire music scene, and even the entire city.

From where I stand it's entirely possible to interact primarily with francophone artists from places like Ottawa, Ontario or Moncton, New Brunswick, and conclude that French dominates the scene in those two places, in spite of the fact that they are primarily anglophone cities.

But no one draws conclusions like that. They know better.
Christ, you guys either can't read or you're being willfully ignorant.

I mentioned the fact that Montreal has a great arts scene, and then was told that it was only for French-speaking people. Go look back. That is the ridiculous statement I've been addressing throughout. I know for a FACT that this is untrue, because of all my experience there (been listing creds throughout). Regardless of the language you speak, you can enjoy any and all of the arts in Montreal. No barriers are put up simply because someone is an English-speaker. Another FACT. Everything else is from people who don't have any actual experience with the Montreal arts scene (still waiting for evidence of this). I personally, from where I live, have more actual experience with the goings-on in Montreal's scene, due to working with bands, musicians, booking agents, galleries, venues, bars, and so on, as well as being there and attending events...plus all the friends I have in Montreal.

And as for "cover bands"....please. Those are not and have never, ever, been on my radar. Pop/rock music around the world is still primarily performed in its formative language - English.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Popular music and rock and roll are not synonymous with each other. And popular music is not synonymous with culture--it's just a part and parcel of it. It's incredibly myopic for you to think they are and for you to draw from that as what seems to be your sole basis for what culture is. There is a lot outside of rock and roll in the cultural life of Montreal and anywhere else. And even with that, there's a lot of what would probably be considered rock music that is not done in English whatsoever. The vast majority of rock music in China or Japan is not in English. It may tilt a bit more towards English in Montreal, but there's a fair bit of it in French--and again, rock and roll is not the only game in town.
Rock music is still primarily in English in China and Japan, yes - sorry. The Japanese, especially, are very much into faithfully replicating outside art forms, down to dress, equipment, and so on. And yes, as you admit here, it certainly "leans towards" English in Montreal, which was never contended by anyone on the thread. Also not contended, by me or anyone else: that there's a huge French-speaking portion of the Montreal arts scene.

For the millionth time, there is a great arts scene in Montreal, and the language you speak is immaterial when it comes to enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
So, how's life in Milwaukee?
Great, why exactly would you ask?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:

I mentioned the fact that Montreal has a great arts scene, and then was told that it was only for French-speaking people. Go look back. That is the ridiculous statement I've been addressing throughout. I know for a FACT that this is untrue, because of all my experience there (been listing creds throughout). Regardless of the language you speak, you can enjoy any and all of the arts in Montreal. No barriers are put up simply because someone is an English-speaker. Another FACT. Everything else is from people who don't have any actual experience with the Montreal arts scene (still waiting for evidence of this). I personally, from where I live, have more actual experience with the goings-on in Montreal's scene, due to working with bands, musicians, booking agents, galleries, venues, bars, and so on, as well as being there and attending events...plus all the friends I have in Montreal.

And as for "cover bands"....please. Those are not and have never, ever, been on my radar. Pop/rock music around the world is still primarily performed in its formative language - English.
Another FACT - every opinion can be presented as FACT.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I mentioned the fact that Montreal has a great arts scene, and then was told that it was only for French-speaking people. Go look back. That is the ridiculous statement I've been addressing throughout.
No you weren't. You were told by Acajack that the arts scene (of which music makes up only a portion, btw) in Montreal was predominantly centered around the French language. Nowhere did anyone say that it was only for people who spoke french. Here's the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The vast majority of what goes on culturally in Montreal is in French.
Quote:
I know for a FACT that this is untrue, because of all my experience there (been listing creds throughout). Regardless of the language you speak, you can enjoy any and all of the arts in Montreal. No barriers are put up simply because someone is an English-speaker. I personally, from where I live, have more actual experience with the goings-on in Montreal's scene, due to working with bands, musicians, booking agents, galleries, venues, bars, and so on, as well as being there and attending events...plus all the friends I have in Montreal.
So? The same could (and should) be said for any city. You don't have to speak French to enjoy the arts in Paris, or Japanese to enjoy the arts in Kyoto. You're stating the obvious.

Quote:
Another FACT. Everything else is from people who don't have any actual experience with the Montreal arts scene (still waiting for evidence of this).
Prove it. Prove that the half dozen or so posters here that strongly disagree with you, including many who are intimately familiar with the Arts in Montreal, don't have any experience with the arts scene. Give me a break.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

Naaah. I don't think anyone here has said the arts scene in Montreal is all in French.

I also don't think anyone has said that stuff in French is automatically inacessible to people who don't speak French. (Though the reality is that most people who speak only English tend to only pay attention to stuff in English - but that's a whole other debate I suppose.)

Finally, how do you know that I (or any others) don't have any experience with the Montreal/Quebec arts scene?

And how is this related to the OP? Well, it's related to the OP because it means that Montreal offers less *easily accessible* arts stuff in general to the average English-speaking North American person than Boston does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City