U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Economist 'Most Liveable': Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Honolulu - which would you choose to live?
Pittsburgh, PA 33 38.37%
Washington, DC 41 47.67%
Honolulu, HI 24 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Illinois
504 posts, read 318,261 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Nice lists. I was a bit surprised by Job Opportunities. Maybe what I've heard is skewed, but I thought employers in Pittsburgh actually had trouble filling roles, as there were so many openings and not enough talent. Is that true? If so, shouldn't Pittsburgh be #1? DC has a TON of opportunity, but to me, job opportunity is driven by how easy it is to get a job...just curious.
Hopefully this [if it is true] remains the case for awhile since I have no qualms about getting a decent IT/Tech job with low competition in a low COL, but still urban, city. The only negative thing I have heard about Pittsburgh is air quality but I would need someone from there to confirm that for me.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:46 AM
 
4,406 posts, read 3,968,933 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Hopefully this [if it is true] remains the case for awhile since I have no qualms about getting a decent IT/Tech job with low competition in a low COL, but still urban, city. The only negative thing I have heard about Pittsburgh is air quality but I would need someone from there to confirm that for me.
Most publishing judge Pittsburgh's air quality based on the 1 Coke plant that is 50 miles outside the city limits in Clarion PA...

Pittsburgh's air is fine, no better no worse than any other city in the Northeast.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
3,578 posts, read 2,894,289 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Most publishing judge Pittsburgh's air quality based on the 1 Coke plant that is 50 miles outside the city limits in Clarion PA...

Pittsburgh's air is fine, no better no worse than any other city in the Northeast.
Careful, someone will come on here and say it's not in the Northeast!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
25,461 posts, read 42,453,996 times
Reputation: 10309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Most publishing judge Pittsburgh's air quality based on the 1 Coke plant that is 50 miles outside the city limits in Clarion PA...

Pittsburgh's air is fine, no better no worse than any other city in the Northeast.
That's incorrect. That's CLAIRTON, PA (not Clarion, PA), and that community is only about 17 miles from Pittsburgh.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-18-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: East End of Pittsburgh
747 posts, read 511,784 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That's incorrect. That's CLAIRTON, PA (not Clarion, PA), and that community is only about 17 miles from Pittsburgh.

My mother along with her nine other siblings were born and raised in Clairton PA when it was a boomtown. The town is a ghost town now and the air quality is still pretty bad. I have family who lives in Elizabeth TWSHP and when we pass Clairton, the sulfur smell is horrendous. This is one tiny area of an entire metro. The air quality of an entire region should not be determined by a ghost town the is almost totally deserted.
The city of Pittsburgh air quality is no different than any other city in the NE. It may be better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
3,578 posts, read 2,894,289 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
My mother along with her nine other siblings were born and raised in Clairton PA when it was a boomtown. The town is a ghost town now and the air quality is still pretty bad. I have family who lives in Elizabeth TWSHP and when we pass Clairton, the sulfur smell is horrendous. This is one tiny area of an entire metro. The air quality of an entire region should not be determined by a ghost town the is almost totally deserted.
The city of Pittsburgh air quality is no different than any other city in the NE. It may be better.
Sometimes, I think it may be better to tear down and abandon some of those steel towns then try to revive them. I mean, who would want to live in a place where they have to smell something like that all the time. There are much better working class towns in the Pittsburgh area than Clariton.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Athens, GA (via Pittsburgh, PA)
8,851 posts, read 6,880,029 times
Reputation: 7687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Sometimes, I think it may be better to tear down and abandon some of those steel towns then try to revive them. I mean, who would want to live in a place where they have to smell something like that all the time. There are much better working class towns in the Pittsburgh area than Clariton.
Now you know why I've been a proponent of the Mon-Fayette Expressway. It'd give Pittsburgh direct highway access to the industrial zones in the Monongahela River Valley. Many of the towns directly in the valley are not livable, and should be used strictly as industrial zones instead. Aside from Homestead, about the only place down there that I could envision making a comeback as an actual town is McKeesport. I'm not quite as familiar with the towns down near I-70, but I'm sure one or two of them are revivable, and investment should be steered toward them while the rest of them become strictly industrial zones.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
704 posts, read 766,211 times
Reputation: 563
Its funny Honolulu gets bashed for its COL, but i moved from Seattle out to here and my wages increased and my COL is almost the exact same. The unemployment is lower out here than back home and it seems the economy is doing great.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
3,578 posts, read 2,894,289 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Now you know why I've been a proponent of the Mon-Fayette Expressway. It'd give Pittsburgh direct highway access to the industrial zones in the Monongahela River Valley. Many of the towns directly in the valley are not livable, and should be used strictly as industrial zones instead. Aside from Homestead, about the only place down there that I could envision making a comeback as an actual town is McKeesport. I'm not quite as familiar with the towns down near I-70, but I'm sure one or two of them are revivable, and investment should be steered toward them while the rest of them become strictly industrial zones.
I agree. These towns are generally considered far and separate from the rest of Allegheny County. After all, how many people do we see on the Pittsburgh forum wanting to move to Duquesne or Braddock? None.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
 
320 posts, read 460,624 times
Reputation: 212
Honolulu by a mile, then Pittsburgh, then another mile, then DC.

DC is a pit to me. And it has nothing to do with politics.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top