Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,854,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Williams aka Transco Tower in Houston would most definitely be at the top of the list.

At 64 stories & 901 ft. tall its the tallest building in the US outside of a downtown.

Nothing comes close to matching its impact on the overall skyline except maybe the Willis Tower in Chicago.

At night is when it really shines with its 5,000 watt revolving "Batman" search light on top which can be seen up to 30 miles away.

that's hands down, my favorite texas skyscraper...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,637,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
you don't see the hancock, but you see the transamerica? lol...hancock is like twice as high and all black and much wider.
And...? That doesn't mean I like it as much.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,854,165 times
I'm gonna go with the Empire State Building. The name says it all (empire). It is the epitome of power in skyscrapers and although it is not the tallest it will always be regarded as one of the premiere skyscrapers by which all others followed. And quite frankly, although this building may have been built in the 1930s, it stands out even amongst the most modern skyscrapers today. When I think of beauty, power and character I think of the Burj Kalifa, Tapei 101, International Finance Centre, Petronas Towers and the Empire State Building. King Kong didn't climb it for no reason.
http://www.infohostels.com/immagini/news/631.jpg

Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 PM

12,606 posts, read 21,753,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I like this building but to me I just think there is something so pure with the Hancock Building. Chicago does have super talls that stick out (Willis, Hancock, Prudential Building (Not enough credit as it is also raw esp from Millenium park), and the new Trump.

I agree. I think that being situated literally right next to the taller Aon center, it doesn't stand out as much. It does look great from Millennium though. The Aon Center may be a box, but it's so narrow relative to its height that it really seems tall. Prudential is great though.

Aon Center and Prudential from Millennium Park in mid-august:

Aon by itself:

The trump is pretty awesome on the river.

I took this a few weeks ago:

And Trump/Sears/Aon from the John Hancock observatory:

Quote:
Oddly the Sears (willis) looks bent at times. I snapped this on my camera a little over a year ago because it looked bent and the image caught it. Has anyone else ever noticed this up close?
I agree. I'll have to go through my pics from a few weeks a go and check it out. I think they all look a little bent.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree. I think that being situated literally right next to the taller Aon center, it doesn't stand out as much. It does look great from Millennium though. The Aon Center may be a box, but it's so narrow relative to its height that it really seems tall. Prudential is great though.

Aon Center and Prudential from Millennium Park in mid-august:

Aon by itself:

The trump is pretty awesome on the river.

I took this a few weeks ago:

And Trump/Sears/Aon from the John Hancock observatory:

I agree. I'll have to go through my pics from a few weeks a go and check it out. I think they all look a little bent.

The AON is really cool as well and also love the red building along the edge of the park close to the Art Museum. So many cool buildings in Chicago, maybe is why I personally prefer it to NYC (love the NYC skyline too)

Also the new Condo tower to the right in your first pic is really cool, got a good look at that from a river tour back in June, great city Chicago...

I took this shot from the river of the base of the Trump back in June, great view along the river of this building.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/19492930-post11.html

Anyway will be back in Chicago next weeked for a getaway weekend, looking forward to it

Did you do the Architectural boat tour? I took it in June and really enjoyed

Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,651,895 times
Not sure why it took me this long to nominate this. 548 feet tall, all stone. Inside what looks like 3 floors from the outside, are eight floors with 15 ft. high ceilings. The USA's largest municipal building, the world's second tallest stone building. Just under the William Penn statue is an observation deck with elevator access, so it isn't just a clock tower. Philadelphia City Hall just oozes 'power' and for good reason, it has executive, legislative and judicial offices within, the only city hall in the nation with all three branches. It is also a very busy subway station, the junction between the two main lines that serve Philly.

cityhall with sig 12x16 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6008898413/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Last edited by Dub King; 09-14-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,466,718 times
I've always like the Library (US Bank) Tower in Los Angeles. Its instantly recognizable and pretty darn tall (over a 1,000 ft).
U.S. Bank Tower (Los Angeles) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 AM

285 posts, read 435,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I've always like the Library (US Bank) Tower in Los Angeles. Its instantly recognizable and pretty darn tall (over a 1,000 ft).
U.S. Bank Tower (Los Angeles) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I Agree

_________

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,592,446 times
The aliens blowed it up on Independence Day.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 AM

102 posts, read 188,752 times
Chicago looks unimaginative in those photos. AON looks like a crappy version of one of the Twin Towers. Prudential is like some kid tried to reinvent the infinately more beautiful Chrysler Building...out of leggos. The best buildings in Chicago are gone. Except the Tribune Tower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City