Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:12 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times

Advertisements

to the OP, I'm from North Carolina and am dreaming of escape as well. I too have considered the very same cities as you. I think if I had to pick one I'd pick Denver. The have high rate of sunshine I think it's like over 300 days a year. Plenty to do, and a very outdoorsy place, people there are creative and very physically fit overall. As for the winters from my friends there it does get cold and they do get snow, some years lots of it, but it does not last long, at all. And you mentioned Travel, their airport is one of the easiest I've every flown through.

Also what about Dallas? Was that on you list at some point and then got whittled away? Seems as like it fit most of the criteria as well. And the winter is very brief there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,484 times
I've visited half these cities, but have only lived in one, so I'll offer my opinion on it and it only.

Minneapolis:
- Mild temperatures (would prefer warm, but more concerned with sunshine)
Clearly Mpls weather is not "mild." Winters are very long and can get very cold. Summers are muggy, but no worse than any other place in the US with humidity, and I'd imagine not worse than Atlanta. Fall is optional, but if you get it, it is lovely.

- Things to do (culture, theater, ballet, opera, festivals in the summer, etc.)
Very meh. People from Minnesota seem to think Mpls is the height of culture, but really, it falls flat and the restaurant scene is terrible.

- Nice shopping malls/stores
Well the Mall of America is close by. I personally find the mall to be truly terrifying, but only because I have an aversion to all shopping malls. The MOA seriously does have everything, and if it's not your cup of tea, there's decent shopping around town.

- Cities/Places close by for road trips
Road trips to where? WI and IL aren't terribly long drives away.

- Big city - lots of different neighborhoods to live in
Not a big city, very small town vibe.

- Safe (I know there is crime everywhere)
It's safe.

- I need to live near a major airport since I travel so much
MSP should do the trick.

- Whole Foods or nice organic food stores
Surprisingly plentiful selection of organic food stores.

- Access to walking/hiking
Lots of this.

- Near a body of water (prefer, but not as high on the list)
Land o' lakes.

- Good dating scene
Getting kinda iffy there. I'm not sure how to answer this without knowing what kind of person you are. The short version is if you don't fit into Minnesota mindset and culture, which is exactly what you think it is, it might be tough. But like most places, there's something for everyone, just not a lot of it.

- Cost of Living - not too expensive
Ridiculously low cost of living. I lived downtown and still paid A LOT less than I pay to live in barely okay neighborhoods of LA and Chicago. Edit: I'm going to amend this from "ridiculously low" to just "low." I have to realize my thoughts on cost of living are WAY off having been born and raised in LA. Mpls isn't an expensive city at all, and should be affordable, but I won't go as far as to say the COL is so low that it's ridiculous. Just felt that way to me.

- Able to walk/run all year around
Not gonna happen. I'm from California, and a little part of me died when I had to join a gym. I sorely missed being able to bicyle all year.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 PM

84 posts, read 214,863 times
Thank you all for your replies.

Taynxtlvl, Dallas was never on my list, if I moved to Texas, it would be Austin. I do hear good things about Dallas... still not sure which city overall would be for me. I hope to visit Phoenix in the next couple of months. I have been to Seattle, Minneapolis, Albuquerque (so long ago, I barely remember it, but I do remember seeing the hot air balloon festival when I was there)..... So, I don't know. I want to stay away from snow, but I grew up in the Midwest and I know I can deal with it, after living in Atlanta, I just prefer not to, I would rather have warm/hot weather!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I know, right? I've lived in the desert since late '92 and I've never seen a rattlesnake, I have seen tarantulas (only in foothills), mosquitos surely aren't prevalent here, but IMO there aren't as many creepy-crawlies as in other cities I've lived in.
I know, and mosquitoes and other pesky insects are much more common in the southern and midwestern cities-states.

As for snakes and other venomous creatures, Florida is home to more of those species it seems.

Tune into Animal Planet and you will see constant reports of alligators, iguanas, and different snake species invading Florida homes and yards, even in the larger cities.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
I must say, as a telecommuter you can avoid congested freeways or costly city living in some of these places (like Seattle), so this could be a good opportunity to live in one of those places!

erm,. I mean, Minneapolis all the way -- no doubt!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 PM

84 posts, read 214,863 times
I think Minneapolis is a no, I don't want the cold and snow... any more opinions on Phoenix?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM

299 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Seattle winters are not a myth. The rain and gloom are real. I would suggest NorCal.
Which is why Seattle has plenty of green natural scenery and clean unpolluted air, some of the best air quality in the country. Look at the sunny places that get less than 15 inches of rain a year- Phoenix, Los Angeles, Riverside, Bakersfield, et al, they are always ranking among the places with the worst air-pollution.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1Roses View Post
I think Minneapolis is a no, I don't want the cold and snow... any more opinions on Phoenix?
Yes I lived in Phoenix all my life before moving to PNW in March of this year. I couldn't handle Phoenix anymore- the searing summer heat that lasts 5-6 months and the long stretches of rainless days that can last nearly all year. Other reasons were the type of people that move there - lots of uneducated transient types that dress sloppy- people there actually wear flip-flops, shorts, and tank-tops to nice restaurants and their places of employment. Unemployment rate is 1 of the worst in the country. What jobs are there are on the low-paying side. It's the 6th largest city in the country but you wouldn't know it by the tiny downtown area and not much to see or do for people who appreciate culture or the arts. People move there mainly for the abundant sun and dry air, or for retirement. It's not a good place to go if you want to succeed or appreciate the finer things in life.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
Yes I lived in Phoenix all my life before moving to PNW in March of this year. I couldn't handle Phoenix anymore- the searing summer heat that lasts 5-6 months and the long stretches of rainless days that can last nearly all year. Other reasons were the type of people that move there - lots of uneducated transient types that dress sloppy- people there actually wear flip-flops, shorts, and tank-tops to nice restaurants and their places of employment. Unemployment rate is 1 of the worst in the country. What jobs are there are on the low-paying side. It's the 6th largest city in the country but you wouldn't know it by the tiny downtown area and not much to see or do for people who appreciate culture or the arts. People move there mainly for the abundant sun and dry air, or for retirement. It's not a good place to go if you want to succeed or appreciate the finer things in life.
I understand that you are entitled to your opinion (however nasty it can be), especially when you are talking about many people you do not even know, but what a snob you are.

How do you know why people mainly move here? I cannot speak for you, but if you think everyone else just sits at home all day long and watches the walls, think again. In addition, it is NOT one of the worst cities in the country for unemployment, but apparently it wasn't a good place for YOU to be to succeed. Many people can be successful in any city they chose to live in.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I understand that you are entitled to your opinion (however nasty it can be), especially when you are talking about many people you do not even know, but what a snob you are.
Not a snob, just someone who appreciates a city with an educated populace, higher-paying job opportunities, and good QOL. Oh, and a place that averages more than 7 inches of rain a year. How much rain has Phoenix had in 2011 so far, about 2 1/2 inches? I sure don't miss the high water bills trying to salvage a little greenery, or the high power bills running my air-conditioner day and night for 5 straight months trying to beat the searing heat.

Quote:
if you think everyone else just sits at home all day long and watches the walls, think again.
Read my posting again, I never stated such a thing.

Quote:
In addition, it is NOT one of the worst cities in the country for unemployment, but apparently it wasn't a good place for YOU to be to succeed. Many people can be successful in any city they chose to live in.
I had a fairly successful job at an investment firm in Phoenix before I was laid off, then laid off a 2nd time at my other job that paid squat. Lots of others in Phoenix have faced the same dilemma, as well as facing foreclosure on their homes. My unemployment in Phoenix became a blessing in disguise because I accepted a position in Seattle for a much higher salary than I could ever dream of down there. Combine the higher wages with with the reduction in my water and power bills, I'm actually sitting in the black living in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City