Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 AM

803 posts, read 1,265,192 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know you guys are more than tired of my race threads but anyways, here we go.

I live in a small Arkansas town (set to move soon) and people here don't know anything about Indian people (India). Well online I often hear people say Indians smell like curry, Indians are cheap, all Indians get arranged marriages, and Indians all "worship cows". Well I also have heard a lot of racism online and usually when people have put their location it has been in some bigger cities (won't say names).

What major or what big cities have a population where most people are not that aware of racial stereotypes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:08 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepit100 View Post
Nowhere really. All big cities in this country have an element of diversity, some larger than others. People in bigger cities encounter people of various backgrounds on a everyday basis and depending on their experience it can develop tension amongst different ethnic and religious groups.

Since you won't say the names of the cities I'll just give you a few off the back of my head. NYC is the best example, its a melting pot of people from any and everywhere but its one of the most segregated cities in the country. Boston, Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and other northern and mid-western cities have big segregation because of history and racism. Just look at Detroit, on its northern border one side is white and the other is black. One street divides the two races like its 1956.

IMO the south is a much less racist place and more diverse (as in different ethnicities living in the same neighborhood). Not saying all southern cities are like that because they still have their problems, but its different. The north talks the most crap and enforces the stereotypes.
Good post because I would have said mostly the same thing.

You can't really escape stereotypes, unfortunately. I would just move somewhere with at least a decent amount of diversity. As long as when you go out you don't feel as though everyone is treating you inferior, you will usually be fine in a lot of bigger cities. The suburbs of southern and southwestern boomtowns will be the least segregated. The northern cities are highly diverse but usually very segregated. Cities I find really diverse and not badly segregated as compared to other places are Houston and Los Angeles. Those cities aren't for everyone, but you should be okay in other big cities as well. You have a right to live where ever you choose.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:36 AM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepit100 View Post
Nowhere really. All big cities in this country have an element of diversity, some larger than others. People in bigger cities encounter people of various backgrounds on a everyday basis and depending on their experience it can develop tension amongst different ethnic and religious groups.

Since you won't say the names of the cities I'll just give you a few off the back of my head. NYC is the best example, its a melting pot of people from any and everywhere but its one of the most segregated cities in the country. Boston, Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and other northern and mid-western cities have big segregation because of history and racism. Just look at Detroit, on its northern border one side is white and the other is black. One street divides the two races like its 1956.

IMO the south is a much less racist place and more diverse (as in different ethnicities living in the same neighborhood). Not saying all southern cities are like that because they still have their problems, but its different. The north talks the most crap and enforces the stereotypes.
Just to clear some things up, 8 Mile, while it still somewhat shows a divide, it's not as bad as it used to be. Just look at the change demographically in suburbs like Warren, Southfield and others just north of 8 Mile.

Also, the difference between the South and the North is that the metros also have ethnic segregation. Meaning, you can find neighborhoods with a strong ethnic flavor next to another neighborhood with a strong ethnic flavor, even if both groups are of the same race. So, the dynamics are different in the Midwest and Northeast and it's not necessarily due to racism.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 PM

just to add something in

my friend said he never knew what a WASP was until he moved out of the south

Old 12-24-2010, 03:54 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
^ yeah, for some reason WASP isn't a commonly known term down here, even though there are a lot of WASPs

Old 12-24-2010, 04:29 PM

I mean seriously, I was not aware of racial politics in dating until I went on the internet and spent some time up North with my family, of course I didn't face much direct racism up North at all but here is what I hear:

Black women and Asian men have it the toughest when it comes to interracial dating and when I showed a picture to my family members of my Korean friend with his Blonde White girlfriend some of them called their White friends to see it. One White guy said "unfreakingbelievable". I was like "huh?", he said "nothing wrong with it but it is just not that common up here at all".

Honestly, I did not find the North to be that racist at all, from what I have heard it is racist but I heard that racial politics are a big deal when it comes to dating. Like people would have a tough time seeing an Asian guy with a pretty White girl because people there believe stereotypes about Asian men having small ones and all that other stuff.

Down South? No one really cares in the small city and big city areas.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:08 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I mean seriously, I was not aware of racial politics in dating until I went on the internet and spent some time up North with my family, of course I didn't face much direct racism up North at all but here is what I hear:

Black women and Asian men have it the toughest when it comes to interracial dating and when I showed a picture to my family members of my Korean friend with his Blonde White girlfriend some of them called their White friends to see it. One White guy said "unfreakingbelievable". I was like "huh?", he said "nothing wrong with it but it is just not that common up here at all".

Honestly, I did not find the North to be that racist at all, from what I have heard it is racist but I heard that racial politics are a big deal when it comes to dating. Like people would have a tough time seeing an Asian guy with a pretty White girl because people there believe stereotypes about Asian men having small ones and all that other stuff.

Down South? No one really cares in the small city and big city areas.
When it comes to stereotypes, I hear ya.

The weird thing is that no matter where I've been I've experienced it though. You're lucky you don't hear that when you're south because I've heard it everywhere I've been. I understand what you mean though. You go out, you see it, no one makes a big deal about it. It's just that no matter where I've been I've heard people say something. If I go out to the mall or to a restaurant, probably no one will say anything. But I definitely get the side comments now and then from people close to me.

But don't worry, there are some great people everywhere.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
The city where the different races mix the most and live together as equal. Note, not cities with lots of races/ethnicities but people stick to their group and are suspicious with each other, a truly integrated city.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The city where the different races mix the most and live together as equal. Note, not cities with lots of races/ethnicities but people stick to their group and are suspicious with each other, a truly integrated city.
That's what they told me about Los Angeles, went there and boy did I find the exact opposite.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:58 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Such a city does not exist. Racial stereotypes are big part of American culture unfortunately. The only thing you can do is rise above as an individual and surround your self with like minded people, everyone else be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City