U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM
 
816 posts, read 914,327 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You dont follow me on Twitter because im not on Twitter. But I see your following me on here so evidentally you do care, or else you wouldnt keep responding . I dont care about your economy in Houston.
Removed - it's not a music video room (sorry) - links only.
MISTAH FAB "HIT ME ON TWITTER" OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: DC
528 posts, read 616,410 times
Reputation: 277
i'm sad
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,853,286 times
Reputation: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
So Is Houston.

USA Rail Map, US Rail

Next!!!
But not on Atlanta level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think all these cities have fairly extensive rail networks, all on the shores have sizable ports. All have decent sized airports. They are pretty large areas. Hell I think PHL actually does nearly the same cargo volume as does ATL.

End of the day i think it silly to suggest any of these cities are dramatically different in these rankings - specific criteria likely help some and hinder others
Who told you that lie

Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland, Atlanta, in that order in rail.


http://transportationfortomorrow.com...ort/ex_3_5.gif

By trains a day

Philly has a line that caries 50-100.

Houston has two of 20-50, and a line that 0-15 not far.

Atlanta has a line 100-200, a line south 50-100, and a east-west & a southwest-northeast line 10-15.

In case yall wondering truck volume. no order, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, LA, Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/frei...ges/fig3_6.jpg

Houston nor Philly is in the southeast, OyCrumbler was comparing Miami to Atlanta as cities in the southeast I just caught that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: The City
19,054 posts, read 15,842,464 times
Reputation: 5585
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But not on Atlanta level.

Who told you that lie

Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland, Atlanta, in that order in rail.


http://transportationfortomorrow.com...ort/ex_3_5.gif

By trains a day

Philly has a line that caries 50-100.

Houston has two of 20-50, and a line that 0-15 not far.

Atlanta has a line 100-200, a line south 50-100, and a east-west & a southwest-northeast line 10-15.

In case yall wondering truck volume. no order, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, LA, Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/frei...ges/fig3_6.jpg

Houston nor Philly is in the southeast, OyCrumbler was comparing Miami to Atlanta as cities in the southeast I just caught that.

The first is an odd map, where is the orginal Reading Railroad line heading west. This cant somehow not have registered, seems a lot of lines are missing here that are major rail routes.

But I think you missed my point as usual
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,336 posts, read 401,657 times
Reputation: 344
Funny, in a sad way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But not on Atlanta level.

Who told you that lie

Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland, Atlanta, in that order in rail.


http://transportationfortomorrow.com...ort/ex_3_5.gif

By trains a day

Philly has a line that caries 50-100.

Houston has two of 20-50, and a line that 0-15 not far.

Atlanta has a line 100-200, a line south 50-100, and a east-west & a southwest-northeast line 10-15.

In case yall wondering truck volume. no order, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, LA, Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/frei...ges/fig3_6.jpg

Houston nor Philly is in the southeast, OyCrumbler was comparing Miami to Atlanta as cities in the southeast I just caught that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,831 posts, read 19,371,012 times
Reputation: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The first is an odd map, where is the orginal Reading Railroad line heading west. This cant somehow not have registered, seems a lot of lines are missing here that are major rail routes.

But I think you missed my point as usual
That about sums it up.

Look what I stumbled upon:

http://www.mhia.org/news/industry/10...metro-rankings

This list isn't meant to downplay Atlanta as a center for logistics and distribution, but it does show Philadelphia and Houston are not insignificant within that sector.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 09-22-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,812,805 times
Reputation: 7261
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
That about sums it up.

Look what I stumbled upon:

Six of the Ten Top Logistics/Distribution/Shipping Hubs are located in the South, according to Business Facilities

This list isn't meant to downplay Atlanta as a center for logistics and distribution, but it does show Philadelphia and Houston are not insignificant within that sector.
Nice find. Dunno why Chiatldal is fighting so hard to prove that GawC had some basis for those rankings
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 05:04 PM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,853,286 times
Reputation: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The first is an odd map, where is the orginal Reading Railroad line heading west. This cant somehow not have registered, seems a lot of lines are missing here that are major rail routes.

But I think you missed my point as usual
It was created by the Association of American rail roads.
Association of American Railroads

http://www.aar.org/~/media/aar/Files...ity_study.ashx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
That about sums it up.

Look what I stumbled upon:

Six of the Ten Top Logistics/Distribution/Shipping Hubs are located in the South, according to Business Facilities

This list isn't meant to downplay Atlanta as a center for logistics and distribution, but it does show Philadelphia and Houston are not insignificant within that sector.
All those cities have a sea port, if you notice Savannah, Mobile, and Charleston made the list, I mean like really I can't take it seriously. A lot of which goes though Atlanta. Savannah is not a major distribution center, Georgia leaders are using Savannah port, because Atlanta doesn’t directly have one. I telling you right now the port of Savannah, is doing the collecting from water but Atlanta is where most of the distribution is.

Savannah Interstate & Rail

Atlanta Logistics Innovation Council

http://www.metroatlantachamber.com/files/file/pub_pol/transportation/freight/Freight%20Forum%20Handout.pdf (broken link)

------------------------------

No way in hell does, Houston or Philly ranks with Atlanta in rail, road, and air cargo. Not to mention Houston is 10th for logistics jobs. Philly is not even top 10. If you go to logistics sites Atlanta is brought up for actual distributing centers, Houston is only brought up for it's port rank, Philly is not even often mention. The ranking you post take account of having, land, air, and water higher than overall distribution or number of jobs. Because if you look into the rail, airlines, trucking industries they will beg the differ with that rank. So I hope you ain't taking your rank list too serious.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Nice find. Dunno why Chiatldal is fighting so hard to prove that GawC had some basis for those rankings
I have told you repeatedly I don't agree with GaWC ranking completely I Dunno why you making it as if I do,

And far as GaWC goes and connections firms goes, Atlanta and Dallas has a higher presence of logistic companies and logistics jobs so in logistics so they wouldn't wrong on that issue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,549,395 times
Reputation: 4853
Disclaimer:

Houstonians and Atlantans in real life aren't nearly as annoying as their City Data representatives.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,812,805 times
Reputation: 7261
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

All those cities have a sea port, if you notice Savannah, Mobile, and Charleston made the list, I mean like really I can't take it seriously. A lot of which goes though Atlanta. Savannah is not a major distribution center, Georgia leaders are using Savannah port, because Atlanta doesn’t directly have one. I telling you right now the port of Savannah, is doing the collecting from water but Atlanta is where most of the distribution is.

Savannah Interstate & Rail

Atlanta Logistics Innovation Council

http://www.metroatlantachamber.com/files/file/pub_pol/transportation/freight/Freight%20Forum%20Handout.pdf (broken link)

------------------------------

No way in hell does, Houston or Philly ranks with Atlanta in rail, road, and air cargo. Not to mention Houston is 10th for logistics jobs. Philly is not even top 10. If you go to logistics sites Atlanta is brought up for actual distributing centers, Houston is only brought up for it's port rank, Philly is not even often mention. The ranking you post take account of having, land, air, and water higher than overall distribution or number of jobs. Because if you look into the rail, airlines, trucking industries they will beg the differ with that rank. So I hope you ain't taking your rank list too serious.


I have told you repeatedly I don't agree with GaWC ranking completely I Dunno why you making it as if I do,

And far as GaWC goes and connections firms goes, Atlanta and Dallas has a higher presence of logistic companies and logistics jobs so in logistics so they wouldn't wrong on that issue.
actually memphis is the big distribution player in that area.

It spanks ATl's but big time.

Memphis handles -
the most air cargo in the world(Far more than ATL)
It is along the 3rd busiest Road Corridor in the US ( far busier than ATL)
It has the second largest shallow draft post on the Mississippi ( ATL has no water port)
It is the 3rd most connected Rail Center in the US.

So Memphis is the big Cargo Transport and distribution center is the South. Not ATL. ATl does not come near it.

Furthermore, the Savannah Cargo goes in all sorts of Directions.
The North American Intermodal Rail System

It is a far stretch to claim you handle all of that.
A huge chunk goes along the 95 corridor
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top