Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yea, I'm not surprised you would. Most of your posts don't make a lot of sense, or you're too busy knocking Chicago or trolling other cities to be given any credibility.

Go ahead and re-read what I posted. Read it. Don't redress the context for your purposes.
I don't troll any city, I post about reality and real world data. You are right about one thing though, or at least on the right track, I don't care about whiny boosters and their provincial civic pride making them delusional to the rest of the world which is rampant on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,534 times
When I was in school, I took an AP Human Geography book and it had a section about world cities. It said NYC, London, and Tokyo as the three financial capitals of the world and that they were the most important.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
When I was in school, I took an AP Human Geography book and it had a section about world cities. It said NYC, London, and Tokyo as the three financial capitals of the world and that they were the most important.
Doh... of course they are. And the other cities aren't close. It would be awesome if there was. I only mention Paris as it served recently as a world center and has high cultural and geopolitical clout.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It does make sense. None of the areas outside Hong Kong SAR count towards its metro area. And most of the area in Hong Kong SAR is just forested.
I have a friend who lives in HK's New Territories. It's like you are nowhere near the city life. I was there last Summer. Yet the total land area of HK is only about 400 square miles or so. It's amazing that they can have all those people yet it seems like there are miles and miles of just hills and forest.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have a friend who lives in HK's New Territories. It's like you are nowhere near the city life. I was there last Summer. Yet the total land area of HK is only about 400 square miles or so. It's amazing that they can have all those people yet it seems like there are miles and miles of just hills and forest.
Yea, Hong Kong is about 1:3 developed to undeveloped land--which means the populated portions of Hong Kong are incredibly dense.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I was thinking the same thing about Louisville and OKC (but Tulsa did make it). Nothing against Tulsa, but how did it (and Omaha) beat out the aforementioned three? Is there something about Tulsa and Omaha that I am not aware of?
Yeah, it was odd to me that a good number of so called "major cities" failed to make the list, while other supposedly less-major cities made it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I wonder if Birmingham refers to Alabama or England??? After all, Birmingham England is significantly larger.
BTW, does anyone know what these categories mean? What distinguishes one from another?

One more thing...the ascent of Miami into the future is going to be tied to the emerging economies of South America, especially Brazil. I do have to laugh that, while Miami gets trashed on C-D all the time, it is not only the highest ranked city in the South (including Texas) but it's also higher than Boston.
Of course, if the DC folks now want to claim they are in South to be ranked higher, that's fine with me.
Yeah if you check the link, it has the country after each of the Birminghams. Birmingham (UK) is a Beta - like Rio De Janeiro and Detroit, while Birmingham (US) is a Sufficiency like Quebec and Providence.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:13 PM

229 posts, read 468,900 times
In my opinion L.A should be considered a Alpha- it's mostly just a big suburb with small pockets of nice areas scattered around the city.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
In my opinion L.A should be considered a Alpha- it's mostly just a big suburb with small pockets of nice areas scattered around the city.
LA may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is a center of industry and a commercial center. It also has a huge airport and a major city on the Pacific rim. LA is a solid alpha city.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM

36 posts, read 44,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Chicago is not on the level of NYC and London It is in the bottom half of Alpha+ as it is, and can not compare to Paris/Tokyo at the upper half. The list is in order. Chicago is in the 8 slot globally, which, is fairly good IMHO, I wouldn't push it farther.
Chicago is a very powerful city

Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM

301 posts, read 521,204 times
Chicago has a very large and successful financial industry and is a major aviation hub, it has a great and very tall skyline and a famous history, al Capone etc, famous music scene and sports teams, put all this together and Chicago is a powerful city.
LA is also an important world city, it has massive soft power and cultural influence from Hollywood and its music scene. Miami and Toronto are also rising cities and deserve high places on the rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City