U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,411,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Personally, I prefer the talent level of the pros much better.
Yeah, this is a big element for me. The NFL, NBA, and NHL offer a clearly much higher caliber of play than NCAA Division 1. With one exception (hockey), I only watch pro sports, and the exception is because my Alma Matter is pretty good, so it's fun to go down to Aganis and catch a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

in my experience pro sports are always way bigger in cities than collage sports.

college sports are biggest in rural areas where there aren't any pro teams around to cheer for.
I think that's very much a part of it. The same goes for minor league baseball. It's good, but why would you pick that over major league?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
The professional brand of the game is far better than the college brand. No drnying that. What makes college better to many ( that includes alumns and non alumns), is that the tradition, atmosphere, Passion, and pageantry is just so much better than the professional brand. Not to mention the rivalries. I'm a huge Cowboys fan, but give me Texas OU over any NFC East rivalry. Give me Alabama Auburn over Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM

52,614 posts, read 75,426,573 times
College, but people like their Bills, Giants, Yankees, Knicks(somewhat), Sabres and Rangers. Syracuse University sports obviously are hugely popular here.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Quote:
no i didn't. i just think it's silly. i mean to have not gone to the university and yet be soooo into their athletic program just seems nonsensical. as much as I enjoy watching march madness and stuff like that, whenever i do, the quality of play is just so inferior. especially now that they aren't forcing kids to stay in college for 4 years now. the talent is just spread so thin. the kids are so young, so many of them are making mental errors and mistakes.

i mean honestly i think play in the nba is sloppy when compared to 15 years ago... but in college sports? it's of the charts sloppy.

the best players in the world play in the nfl and the nba, why anyone would get so pumped up over an inferior product just doesn't make sense to me. especially if you have no actual ties to the university. i mean honestly who would fork over their hard earned cashed to a school that never did anything for them? that they are not a part of?

If you wanted a book and went to their library to check it out, you wouldn't even be able to enter the library in many cases... no matter how much team clothing you are wearing. you are cheering for a group of people that does not welcome you as their own. it seems odd to me.
Basketball doesn't reign here. It's football, and if you know anything about SEC football, its far from untalented. No it's not the NFL, but it's not supposed to be. It's the tradition, the fight song, the colors, and the history of the schools. Without college sports, professional sports would be as interesting as high school games. Are you much better than the college players? Why be so critical?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
Quote:
side note: am I the only one who finds it dumb how people cheer for a college they didn't go to?
I don't find it dumb. A lot of it depends on where you live as well.

Growing up in Iowa it had a HUGE following for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, in large part because there are no professional teams within the state. The nearest professional teams were in Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City and St. Louis to a smaller degree. If people went pro, they went to one of those teams, but the Hawkeyes, the Iowa State Cyclones and then Nebraska were the "home" teams for most everyone in the state depending on where they lived.

U of Iowa had the largest following, as it had the best teams, is the flagship school and has a long history. A vast majority of the people who cheer each weekend didn't go to Iowa, but it's their hometown team for all intents and purposes.

In Chicago it's split. Professional is certainly the biggest share, but there's a huge Big 10 following in Chicago, as well as Notre Dame.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM

727 posts, read 1,035,995 times
Here in Atlanta it is college. We are even getting the college football hall of fame.

College rivalries are sooooooo much better.

Auburn/Alabama over packers/bears any-day

North carolina/ duke over Celtics/lakers

and march madness beats the nba playoff 100 times.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
College sports. More exciting, more heart, more trick plays...more just putting it all out there.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,999,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Here in Boston, we're way into college sports. Definitely a college sports town.

kidding. I can't think of many other cities that are more heavily "pro" sports vs. college sports. Kind of funny for a town with so many colleges. Aside from hockey (and BC football or basketball if they're doing well), no one really pays any attention to college sports. I know a number of people from areas where college sports are bigger who find it maddening.

Personally, I prefer the talent level of the pros much better. It seems that there's less parity in most college sports too (i.e. one or two teams that are clearly much better than the others). I know people love to say, "well its better because they're just playing for the passion of playing." B.S... Most (at the highest level) of them are playing to audition for the pros where they can make tons of money. Many of them are getting compensated in other ways (as evidenced by the "scandals" every year). I just don't subscribe to the whole "purity" of college sports thing. I'm certainly not under the impression that pro sports are any more pristine, but no one is claiming they are.
I hate the parity in college sports, especially the first few weeks of football. Yeah, there are some upsets bound, but don't care for the 40+ point differentials.

What i've noticed is affiliations to conference (ex. SEC). It seems that some folks root for teams, then their conference; this is kind of odd to me. It would be like Yankess rooting for Red Sox since they are part of AL East.

To the OP, most of the cities that i've lived/visited are primarily pro-sports. Detroit is the one that had a pretty good college following given its proximity to UM. I wonder if LA is the same way, since there is no NFL, and UCLA/USC are strong programs.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:09 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:

in my experience pro sports are always way bigger in cities than collage sports.
I dunno. The sports bars around here (Dallas) don't seem any more packed on Sunday than they are on Saturday.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,945,414 times
I can basically sum it up like this. College sports are more likely to have greater popularity in cities with little to no Pro sports teams. Teams with more pro sports teams(usually Big Market cities) are less likely to prefer College level sports over Pro level sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or