Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I can basically sum it up like this. College sports are more likely to have greater popularity in cities with little to no Pro sports teams. Teams with more pro sports teams(usually Big Market cities) are less likely to prefer College level sports over Pro level sports.
But it is not always the case. Atlanta has plenty of pro-teams but college still dominates here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,028 times
In Raleigh it's obviously college sports. The fact that UNC, Duke, and NC State are nearby determines that.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
But it is not always the case. Atlanta has plenty of pro-teams but college still dominates here.
But its usually the case.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,197 times
People in Cleveland would sign to not letting to Ohio State Buckeyes play a game for 10 years if it would mean a Super Bowl Championship for the Browns.

And Cleveland cheers for OSU and are very loyal...but the Browns are a religion.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM

343 posts, read 804,946 times
Dallas: perfect mix for me

Pro sports are unquestionably bigger, but there is a great college vibe. Lots of different rivalries between TCU, UT, OU, SMU, Tech, A&M. Makes for very exciting weekends!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Here in Atlanta it is college. We are even getting the college football hall of fame.

College rivalries are sooooooo much better.

Auburn/Alabama over packers/bears any-day

North carolina/ duke over Celtics/lakers

and march madness beats the nba playoff 100 times.
There are about 47 states that don't care about that game.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
There are about 47 states that don't care about that game.
You sure? It's one of the biggest college rivalries if not the biggest. That's like saying no one cares about the Packers/Bears or Jets/Giants.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
philly has a lot of colleges obviously and a rich college sports history. the palestra is basically the mecca of college basketball and big 5 basketball is of course huge. college basketball i would say is much bigger in philly than college football, but franklin field is a historic sports field in its own right and although penn state is not in philly, so many alum live in and around the city that there are tons of people wearing penn state crap all the time.

that being said. the popularity of college sports in philadelphia DOES NOT EVEN COME CLOSE to the popularity of the pro teams. The eagles and phillies are HUGE. the flyers and sixers don't enjoy the enormous fan bases that the eagles and phillies do but they have devoted fans and even the sixers in an awful year like last year, get more press than the college teams in the city.

in my experience pro sports are always way bigger in cities than collage sports.

college sports are biggest in rural areas where there aren't any pro teams around to cheer for.

side note: am I the only one who finds it dumb how people cheer for a college they didn't go to?
This is basically what I was after. My thoughts exactly. This seems to be the case except in smaller markets, but there are some exceptions like Atlanta.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 AM

398 posts, read 993,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This is basically what I was after. My thoughts exactly.
Of course it is. You took the one comment in this thread that agreed the most with what you already believed, and ignored the majority opinion in this thread, which stated that college sports are either bigger than pro sports or evenly split with pro sports in those posters' home cities. Atlanta, Cincinnati, Raleigh, Detroit, Baton Rouge, Austin, Lansing, Omaha, Chicago, and Syracuse were all named in this thread by residents of those cities as either being evenly split between college and pro or being more college than pro. And then a number of other people just stated that college sports in general is better than pro.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You sure? It's one of the biggest college rivalries if not the biggest. That's like saying no one cares about the Packers/Bears or Jets/Giants.
I'm actually big into football and had never heard of that rivalry before. I'm sure it's big down south, but who else really cares? College football normally just draws people who are from that immediate region or conference. Otherwise people just watch because it's a top 25 team playing. They normally don't really care who the team is, or who they have rivalries against. I would have listed off some northern teams for what I thought would be the biggest rivalry, but it's probably just because I hear the names more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City