Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,511,724 times

Advertisements

Culture:
Education:
Entertainment:
Diversity
Transit/Transportation:
Urbanity:
Weather
jobs ( of course !)
making friends

Last edited by french paris; 09-19-2011 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM

131 posts, read 320,848 times
Education: TIE
Entertainment: CINCINNATI (more going on compared to Raleigh/Durham)
Diversity: TIE
Transit/Transportation: CINCINNATI
Urbanity: CINCINNATI
Weather: CINCINNATI (I prefer colder winters with some snowfall)
jobs ( of course !): CINCINNATI
making friends: CINCINNATI

Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM

131 posts, read 320,848 times
I forgot about the "CULTURE" category...

Cincinnati wins hands down. There are simply too many local traditions and experiences (food, Oktoberfest, etc). The Raleigh area's defintion of culture is probably enjoying a shopping experience at Target or Best Buy...

Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post

Cincinnati wins hands down. There are simply too many local traditions and experiences (food, Oktoberfest, etc). The Raleigh area's defintion of culture is probably enjoying a shopping experience at Target or Best Buy...

I don't know about that, the way the Raleigh area has been growing the last 15 years there are so many cultures here now and they all are bringing something to the table. i.e. International Festival internationalfestival.org Sept 30th-Oct 2nd African Festival, Beer Festival, Spark Con, Raleigh Wide Open...

And if Nordstroms or Saks are your taste yes 6 Target Stores in the Immidiate Raleigh Area vs. 5 for Cincy, not counting Durham and the suburbs.

Education: TIE
Entertainment: CINCINNATI (more going on compared to Raleigh/Durham)
Diversity: TIE
Transit/Transportation: CINCINNATI
Urbanity: CINCINNATI
Weather: RALEIGH (I'd Rather not freeze every winter)
jobs TIE
making friends: RALEIGH (Southern Hospitality everyday, allday)

Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I would also lean toward Cincinnati. Besides having an advantage in each of the categories mentioned it's also more centrally located in that a 4-5 hour drive in any direction brings you to Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Nashville, St Louis and many other sizable cities.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post

LOL! I disagree but still it's still funny

Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would also lean toward Cincinnati. Besides having an advantage in each of the categories mentioned it's also more centrally located in that a 4-5 hour drive in any direction brings you to Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Nashville, St Louis and many other sizable cities.
True, but within 4-5 hours of Raleigh is Atlanta, Charlotte, Hampton Roads, Richmond, DC, and Baltimore. Plus it's much closer to the coast and the mountains aren't too far away either.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but within 4-5 hours of Raleigh is Atlanta, Charlotte, Hampton Roads, Richmond, DC, and Baltimore. Plus it's much closer to the coast and the mountains aren't too far away either.
I'd rather be 5 hours from Chicago than 5 hours from Atlanta quite frankly. The mountains aren't far from Cincinnati either and neither are the beaches of Lake Michigan.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Raleigh is just as plastic and boring as Charlotte. Cincinnati............................

Old 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd rather be 5 hours from Chicago than 5 hours from Atlanta quite frankly.
Why'd you pick Atlanta out of all the cities I listed? Raleigh is much closer to DC than Atlanta. It's a big advantage to be within relatively close proximity to the Bos-Wash corridor.

Quote:
The mountains aren't far from Cincinnati either and neither are the beaches of Lake Michigan.
Raleigh's closer to more extensive and visited ranges in the Appalachian mountains (Blue Ridge, Shenandoah, etc.). I also think I'd rather be closer to beaches on an actual ocean, like the Outer Banks and Hampton Roads. As far as close proximity to natural amenities go, Raleigh's got that one hands down IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City