Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which best represents regions
City 7 5.69%
UA 25 20.33%
MSA 64 52.03%
CSA 41 33.33%
Other 7 5.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times

Advertisements

I'm SHOCKED by how many people did NOT choose Urbanized Area (UA)! What is wrong with this definition, other than the fact that it's very very very difficult to measure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
butbut you are not including berks, and Atlantic and York and Lancaster and Ocean and all those counties rightfully, I mean wrongfully stolen from Philly

Ah Berks is in the CSA total, and no i did not nor the 2 million people and 140 Billion in GDP that come with those counties - they add approx 2K sq miles to the 5800 currently in the CSA so with them the total would be 7.8K sq miles and ~8.5 million (Ocean is not one it would Lehigh and Northhampton. Maybe you were thinking Cape May county as opposed to Ocean - Ocean has always been strongly NYC - nearly touches staten island

though still not sure of the point

Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ah Berks is in the CSA total, and no i did not nor the 2 million people and 140 Billion in GDP that come with those counties - they add approx 2K sq miles to the 5800 currently in the CSA so with them the total would be 7.8K sq miles and ~8.5 million (Ocean is not one it would Lehigh and Northhampton. Maybe you were thinking Cape May county as opposed to Ocean - Ocean has always been strongly NYC - nearly touches staten island

though still not sure of the point
no. Lehigh is just outside in Phillys back yard too. It should be part of the MSA.

In fact since Philly was the original Capital I see DC as just an extension of Philly. Like a satellite neighborhood. so DC is just a suburb of Philly.

You can also make a good case for NY being a burb of Philly too, cause everyone is just stealing things from Philly.Do you know Philadelphia invented Fried Rice

Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think so too. The only exceptions I could really see to this rule are DC/Baltimore, San Francisco/San Jose, and maybe LA/OC/Riverside/San Bernadino.

Other than that I feel that CSAs are not the best measure.
LA would best be represented by its UA. LA's CSA is 33,000 sq miles and includes too much nothingness and thus is prime example of the failings of County based assessments.

A UA of the entire Bay would probably work best too.

DC with Baltimore is pushing it.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
no. Lehigh is just outside in Phillys back yard too. It should be part of the MSA.

In fact since Philly was the original Capital I see DC as just an extension of Philly. Like a satellite neighborhood. so DC is just a suburb of Philly.

You can also make a good case for NY being a burb of Philly too, cause everyone is just stealing things from Philly.Do you know Philadelphia invented Fried Rice

Well it is closer to Harleysville than Harleysville is to Philly

And actually if you go back far enough it was the rice paddy that was invented

Again what is your point HTown - I just pointed out that not all CSAs are momouth, nor even MSAs. Miami is another example

Old 09-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well it is closer to Harleysville than Harleysville is to Philly

And actually if you go back far enough it was the rice paddy that was invented

Again what is your point HTown - I just pointed out that not all CSAs are momouth, nor even MSAs. Miami is another example
Exactly!!!
Quote:
have you seen the size of the NY, DC, Philly and Boston CSA's??

those things are just as big as the Sunbelt ones.

NY CSA is 12,000 sq miles. Bigger than any Southern CSA.
Its when you go west you see the really huge CSAs like Denver, LA, SLC, Vegas. Or huge MSA's like Phoenix

Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 AM

358 posts, read 1,056,933 times
I chose the metropolitan area. A combined statistical area goes way to beyond and an urban area doesn't go far enough.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Omg!!!!! Atlanta is rank 33th and always talking about how the core of there city resembles Nyc lmao!!!! even if yo metro was 10 million you would still have to defined the core to even come close to being on Nyc level and 450,000 isn't going to do it.Let me guess this is in 1 square mile which make it more dense and it is an arguement to prove the city case, ok lmao
It will surely take more then a couple of sphires on a building to be Nyc.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:10 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Msa

Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Do you read Metro Jacksonville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City