U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: more urban city?
LA 87 53.70%
Philly 75 46.30%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,559 posts, read 8,217,030 times
Reputation: 4015
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
this is a tough one because LA i very urban, but there's no real city infrastructure. it reminds me of north jersey or long island. very urban but suburban to the core

if NYC is an urban jungle, LA is a suburban jungle, it caters to celebrities who like large yards, trees, comfort...

i don't see a A train in LA call me crazy
LA caters to celebrities but they only make up about 1% of the population. Most of LA's single family homes are on small lots. Most angelenos are regular hard working people with regular jobs. I find LA to be quite urban, just not the same urban as Philadelphia, Boston or New York.

 
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
8,948 posts, read 5,509,674 times
Reputation: 2846
Default Did you know there's a subway in this city?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
this is a tough one because LA i very urban, but there's no real city infrastructure. it reminds me of north jersey or long island. very urban but suburban to the core

if NYC is an urban jungle, LA is a suburban jungle, it caters to celebrities who like large yards, trees, comfort...

i don't see a A train in LA call me crazy
You're crazy. There are four (soon to be five) train lines in LA right now.
The Purple Line is still being planned, but will be there eventually. Just might be 10 years.
 
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ area
6,345 posts, read 3,677,469 times
Reputation: 3456
No disrespect to LA but how can anyone seriously say that Los Angeles is more urban than Philadelphia. LA does over more than Philadelphia but to actually say that the city of Los Angeles is more urban than the city of Philadelphia is somewhat laughable. San Francisco is the only city on the West Coast that actually rivals Philly in urbanity.
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM
rah
 
Location: San Francisco
3,101 posts, read 5,092,559 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
No disrespect to LA but how can anyone seriously say that Los Angeles is more urban than Philadelphia. LA does over more than Philadelphia but to actually say that the city of Los Angeles is more urban than the city of Philadelphia is somewhat laughable. San Francisco is the only city on the West Coast that actually rivals Philly in urbanity.
With all due respect to Philly, to say this is laughable. Neither can truly be said to be "more urban" than the other IMO, but if we have to pick i fail to see how one could not pick LA. Philadelphia has better public transit, certainly has a better downtown overall, and is more dense overall within city limits (not on the metro level though, and i wouldn't be surprised if the core areas of each city are actually quite similar in density)...but LA is MASSIVE compared to Philly, not to mention it actually has some parts (all within the downtown area) that are much more densely populated than anywhere in Philly. Maybe it just comes down to aesthetics and arbitrary "feelings" for many people (i.e. brick architecture and row houses = OMG THAT JUST MAKES IT SO MUCH "MORE" URBAN!!1!...never mind that the other city is quite dense itself, and is much larger)
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Status: "bring back prop 8" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: San Leandro
4,506 posts, read 4,533,421 times
Reputation: 3193
Philly is urban, LA is stuck between suburb and urban. Virtually the whole city was built post 1920, and around the car.
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Center City
3,929 posts, read 3,126,428 times
Reputation: 4957
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Philly is urban, LA is stuck between suburb and urban. Virtually the whole city was built post 1920, and around the car.
Yes. The fabric and infrastructure of the cities reflect the times in which each came of age. LA is a car city. Philly is a walking city with good PT. I consider these to be some of the key characteristics determining a city's urbanity. If the thread were which city is the most expansive or which is denser further from its core - then LA. As for most urban, however - Philly.
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
3,932 posts, read 8,396,191 times
Reputation: 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yes. The fabric and infrastructure of the cities reflect the times in which each came of age. LA is a car city. Philly is a walking city with good PT. I consider these to be some of the key characteristics determining a city's urbanity. If the thread were which city is the most expansive or which is denser further from its core - then LA. As for most urban, however - Philly.
Yes.

There is urbanity and then there is East Coast urbanity. People in LA think LA is urban and they are not incorrect, it is impressively dense but in a hybrid sort of fashion.

Palm trees, terra cotta roofs,front lawns, stucco, 8 lane highways,Lottaburger stands are very LA and very anti-urban.

Philadelphia is 13 miles long 8 miles wide of 1000 sq ft brick row homes, one lane streets accentuated by elevated trains, bridges, trolleys, 200 year old architecture.

Philadelphia is a much more intense brand of urbanity than LA and even SF.



http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6089/...624b59e940.jpg
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
5,480 posts, read 2,482,460 times
Reputation: 2846
I sincerely doubt Philly is a more intense urban experience than LA.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,559 posts, read 8,217,030 times
Reputation: 4015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Yes.

There is urbanity and then there is East Coast urbanity. People in LA think LA is urban and they are not incorrect, it is impressively dense but in a hybrid sort of fashion.

Palm trees, terra cotta roofs,front lawns, stucco, 8 lane highways,Lottaburger stands are very LA and very anti-urban.

Philadelphia is 13 miles long 8 miles wide of 1000 sq ft brick row homes, one lane streets accentuated by elevated trains, bridges, trolleys, 200 year old architecture.

Philadelphia is a much more intense brand of urbanity than LA and even SF.
OMG!! LOL!! Urbanity comes in all styles of architecture, trees and vegetation and is all over North America and not just the east coast. Come on now!
 
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
24,969 posts, read 31,961,009 times
Reputation: 10593
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I sincerely doubt Philly is a more intense urban experience than LA.
It really isnt. Los Angeles is more vibrant in my experience. Philadephia is very vibrant as well, but LA is more vibrant over a larger area and more dense over a larger area as well, whether we're talking 5,000+ persons per square mile or 10,000+ persons per square mile.

Philadelphia has a tighter albeit smaller main cluster 10,000+ppsm but LAs is quite a bit larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top