U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
LA metro 4 66.67%
NYC metro 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 09-20-2011, 05:12 AM

24,694 posts, read 15,396,441 times
Default Metro Los Angeles vs Metro New York

Say you took away the downtown core of each city (Midtown Manhattan and Downtown LA for the purposes of this comparison). Basically all of the City of Los Angeles vs. the Boroughs excepting those central areas.

Which metropolitan area do you find more interesting, diverse, exciting? I would give the edge to LA/SoCal, as it is more diverse in terms of geography and the different neighbourhoods. You have the beach communities, those in the basin, valley, the hills and of course the mountains. New York has diversity too but alot of Brooklyn for instance is sort of monolithic. LA's metro has more famous places than NY's (most of the New York outsiders know is in Manhattan). LA obviously has the advantage in that the most interesting areas are outside downtown, while Manhattan sort of defines NY. Of course Manhattan blows away downtown LA, but that is not what's being compared here.

Unread 09-20-2011, 05:23 AM

7,582 posts, read 5,123,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Say you took away the downtown core of each city (Midtown Manhattan and Downtown LA for the purposes of this comparison). Basically all of the City of Los Angeles vs. the Boroughs excepting those central areas.

Which metropolitan area do you find more interesting, diverse, exciting? I would give the edge to LA/SoCal, as it is more diverse in terms of geography and the different neighbourhoods. You have the beach communities, those in the basin, valley, the hills and of course the mountains. New York has diversity too but alot of Brooklyn for instance is sort of monolithic. LA's metro has more famous places than NY's (most of the New York outsiders know is in Manhattan). LA obviously has the advantage in that the most interesting areas are outside downtown, while Manhattan sort of defines NY. Of course Manhattan blows away downtown LA, but that is not what's being compared here.
Though I'd take "downtown NYC" (Manhattan) over downtown LA, LA as a whole has a distinct advantage in that most of its nightlife, culture, and much of its commerce, etc. is spread out over the rest of the city and all over the LA metro. One of the amazing things about the NYC metro, to me, is how much of all of the above is centered in Manhattan.

Not saying that areas like Brooklyn are dead or negligible or anything - they certainly aren't - but while NYC's allure lies primarily in NYC itself, much (most?) of LA's allure lies in the rest of its metro, versus its downtown. In the last month I've been back in LA, I've had tons of nights out, seen plenty of action... and I've only set foot in downtown twice, one of which was just to buy macaroons at Louie's for a girl (seriously... and by the way, a total waste of $20).

Unread 09-20-2011, 05:29 AM

11,389 posts, read 10,838,944 times
I agree, because LA is more sprawling, it's definitely the winner here. Though there are some premier suburbs of NYC that blow anything in LA out of the water IMO with regards to quality of life (Alpine, NJ; Greenwich, CT; Scarsdale, NY).

Unread 09-20-2011, 06:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 756,916 times
This has been done before. I willing the to bet this will turn into a LA bash fest. NYC is greater, but I would rather live in Southern Cal.

Unread 09-20-2011, 06:29 AM

8,769 posts, read 19,598,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
This has been done before. I willing the to bet this will turn into a LA bash fest.
Agreed. Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City