U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: #1 tech hub of northeast
Boston 34 66.67%
NYC 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: NYC
457 posts, read 941,198 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

10 or 15 years ago, Boston was easily the top tech city in the Northeast and the closest thing Silicon Valley had to a rival. But, Boston semes to have stumbled a little bit lately, while NYC has been rapidly rising.

Has NYC now overtaken Boston in this area?

BTW, I mean as a hub of innovative tech start ups. Not corporate IT staffs of which NYC obviously has more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
 
58 posts, read 81,303 times
Reputation: 47
NYC now attracts more VC dollars than Boston, thanks to the social media explosion and various other startups.

I would say one could go with either. Boston is the traditional tech hub, but startups are concentrated in the Bay Area and NYC, so that's where the dollars flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 AM
 
147 posts, read 314,374 times
Reputation: 105
I'd probably still say Boston, although NYC through virtue of its size, has more tech jobs(CIO.com - Geek America: The Top 10 U.S. Cities for Technology Jobs - 1. New York Metro Area). Both areas have world renowned universities that attract top talent, but Boston has MIT to feed its science/tech sector. Bloomberg is also offering essentially free land to establish an engineering school in Manhattan which if it comes to fruition would serve to diversify NYC's business sectors. As of now, as Wall Street goes, so goes the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,587,009 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP Lane View Post
NYC now attracts more VC dollars than Boston, thanks to the social media explosion and various other startups.

I would say one could go with either. Boston is the traditional tech hub, but startups are concentrated in the Bay Area and NYC, so that's where the dollars flow.
Social media is more marketing/media folks, which makes sense as NYC has that. Same thing with Chicago and Groupon for instance. They have talented people in those arenas.

As the OP said, I don't really view that as "tech"... I view tech as R&D oriented.

Going to go with Boston here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,507,137 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP Lane View Post
NYC now attracts more VC dollars than Boston, thanks to the social media explosion and various other startups.

I would say one could go with either. Boston is the traditional tech hub, but startups are concentrated in the Bay Area and NYC, so that's where the dollars flow.
Where did you hear NYC was attracting more VC dollars than Boston? This report says that's wrong.

NYC Metro attracted $624 Million in venture capital in Q2 2011, while New England attracted $1.108 Billion. Yes, I know it says "New England" and not Boston, but there's not much tech cash going to Maine, Vermont, Northern NH or Western MA. It's basically all concentrated in the Boston area. At the very most, $100M is spent outside of Boston's sphere of influence.

So venture capital is still very much in Boston's favor.

However the number of startups are very much in New York's favor: Since January of 2009, New York has had 24 major startups while Boston has only had 11.

So overall, there are more startups in New York, but more money in Boston. However the greater amount of money in Boston may be flowing to larger, more established companies funding new projects rather than fresh startups.

In terms of overall innovation, Boston has a slight edge according to this list...though New York isn't far behind. They both did extremely well, ranking #1 and #5 globally.

All in all, I'd say they're basically even with a small edge to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 AM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Reputation: 7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Where did you hear NYC was attracting more VC dollars than Boston? This report says that's wrong.

NYC Metro attracted $624 Million in venture capital in Q2 2011, while New England attracted $1.108 Billion. Yes, I know it says "New England" and not Boston, but there's not much tech cash going to Maine, Vermont, Northern NH or Western MA. It's basically all concentrated in the Boston area. At the very most, $100M is spent outside of Boston's sphere of influence.

So venture capital is still very much in Boston's favor.

However the number of startups are very much in New York's favor: Since January of 2009, New York has had 24 major startups while Boston has only had 11.

So overall, there are more startups in New York, but more money in Boston. However the greater amount of money in Boston may be flowing to larger, more established companies funding new projects rather than fresh startups.

In terms of overall innovation, Boston has a slight edge according to this list...though New York isn't far behind. They both did extremely well, ranking #1 and #5 globally.

All in all, I'd say they're basically even with a small edge to Boston.

I agree on Boston, though NYC does pretty well.

On your last link it was interesting in that all 4 large NE cities are among the worlds top 30 (Boston being #1). And 4 of the top 5 (Bay area being the other) US cities on this ranking are in the NE, with only these 5 recieving a NEXUS designation in the whole US - tech/innovation is not always top of mind for the NE (Boston aside) yet it performs very well in this regard, as well as so many other key industries. (On a personal note Philly often labeled dead and blue collar ranked ahead of oft bandied Seattle and Austin as an example and DC is very substantial in this regard and growing its influence)

Nice links, thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,507,137 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree on Boston, though NYC does pretty well.

On your last link it was interesting in that all 4 large NE cities are among the worlds top 30 (Boston being #1). And 4 of the top 5 (Bay area being the other) US cities on this ranking are in the NE, with only these 5 recieving a NEXUS designation in the whole US - tech/innovation is not always top of mind for the NE (Boston aside) yet it performs very well in this regard, as well as so many other key industries. (On a personal note Philly often labeled dead and blue collar ranked ahead of oft bandied Seattle and Austin as an example and DC is very substantial in this regard and growing its influence)

Nice links, thanks for sharing
Yea Philadelphia certainly gets overlooked in this regard. It'll get its due credit soon enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,587,009 times
Reputation: 504
NYC metro is also 3x larger than Boston...7.5m vs 22m

something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: NYC
457 posts, read 941,198 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
NYC metro is also 3x larger than Boston...7.5m vs 22m

something to think about.
Yeah, Boston runs away with this on a per capita basis.

In absolute terms it is harder call. This is one area, maybe the only outside of health care and education, where Bos vs. NYC is a fair fight.

NYC undoubtably has more IT jobs that Boston, but a lot of those are business support type jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Reputation: 7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
NYC metro is also 3x larger than Boston...7.5m vs 22m

something to think about.

Yes but an intangible of NYC is the greater control of the meny flow and even VC funding. Nothing or no place works in isolation but NYC via concentration of money/fund control exudes influence in virtually every industry.

Also NYC is a large player in so many industries even within its Metro that many times areas (like this) can be overshawdowed by other facets of the NYC economy. Boston also has very good finance representation among other industries as well but is excellent in this specific regard (as caymon says on the per capita basis) and most definately a core economic driver the Boston area at a higher percentage basis than would be NYC.

Top of mind for Boston, innovation jumps to mind, for NYC it is not the case even though it is still very much a major player in this regard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top