Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Montreal 77 45.29%
Toronto 52 30.59%
Vancouver 41 24.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:21 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Arts/Theatre/Culture.........Toronto by a long shot, then Montreal, and again Vancouver doesn't rank

If you speak only English. Which admittedly is the case for most people on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 AM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
Where are people getting this idea that Vancouver has good roads? Vancouver is known nationwide for it's deplorable road network. To say it's pathetic is an insult to pathetic things everywhere.

In general Vancouver wins out in all natural beauty, outdoorsy, and recreational categories. As for urban affairs, it's a battle between Toronto and Montreal with Vancouver so far behind it's not really worth ranking. Montreal is more of the nightlife, café culture, and bohemian city with great historic architecture that lends to it's charm. Toronto is the high energy centre for all things cosmopolitan, shopping, food, ethnic enclaves, the arts, film, culture, theatre, and hip urban vibe. I would say that Montreal and Toronto are probably tied in the music scene except if you are into jazz where Montreal's dominance is unquestionable.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Vancouver

Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Vancouver has the landscape, Toronto has the entertainment, Montreal has the architecture....

I want to live in Torcouveral.
or a version of this. I agree, all three cities offer something the others don't and it just boils down to personal preference.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:48 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Where are people getting this idea that Vancouver has good roads? Vancouver is known nationwide for it's deplorable road network. To say it's pathetic is an insult to pathetic things everywhere.

In general Vancouver wins out in all natural beauty, outdoorsy, and recreational categories. As for urban affairs, it's a battle between Toronto and Montreal with Vancouver so far behind it's not really worth ranking. Montreal is more of the nightlife, café culture, and bohemian city with great historic architecture that lends to it's charm. Toronto is the high energy centre for all things cosmopolitan, shopping, food, ethnic enclaves, the arts, film, culture, theatre, and hip urban vibe. I would say that Montreal and Toronto are probably tied in the music scene except if you are into jazz where Montreal's dominance is unquestionable.
Nightlife in Vancouver is especially bad. Even just within the Pacific Northwest, its nightlife/bar scene is significantly worse than Portland's or Seattle's.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:53 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Nightlife in Vancouver is especially bad. Even just within the Pacific Northwest, its nightlife/bar scene is significantly worse than Portland's or Seattle's.
For some reason it seems nightlife is not a big thing out West in general. All the nightlife destinations in both Canada and the US all seem to be in Eastern cities, with Western cities usually being extremely lacking in that regard. Vegas probably being the only real exception.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:51 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
For some reason it seems nightlife is not a big thing out West in general. All the nightlife destinations in both Canada and the US all seem to be in Eastern cities, with Western cities usually being extremely lacking in that regard. Vegas probably being the only real exception.
I sort of agree with that although I think LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, and San Diego can hold their own with the majority of Eastern cities in terms of nightlife (e.g. Philly, Boston, DC). The difference is the eastern part of the country has NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, and Miami as *amazing* nightlife cities, while the West Coast only has Vegas.

In terms of Canadian cities, you are definitely 100% right. BC is an awesome place but the nightlife is astoundingly bad. Montreal is great while Toronto is also pretty good.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 12-08-2017 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 08:20 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
I find that Westerners {in the US & Canada} seem to be early-to-rise, early-to-bed cultures. I think this is due to them naturally being more outdoors inclined.

Natnasci is quite correct in that a Tor/Mon/Van comparison really comes down to what you want in your city. Canada is very fortunate to have it's 3 largest cities being so different.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:25 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Setting and location goes to Vancouver....stunning beauty.
Stunning??

Old 12-09-2017, 02:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
I've been to all three in the last year (though admittedly my time in Vancouver was only 2 days compared to the few trips I've taken to both Toronto and Montreal).

Setting/Location- Vancouver by far for setting but I'd give location to Toronto or Montreal.
Mass Transit- Montreal
Culture- Montreal
Food- I feel like all three are very strong in this category, though they may excel in different types of food compared to others.
Nightlife- Montreal
Climate- Toronto. I personally like snow so I wouldn't want a mostly just rain winter like Vancouver, but Montreal cold can get a little much so Toronto seems like a good choice.
Economy- I'd go with Toronto.
Education- I don't know enough about this at all to judge though I know all three have one very good university at least.
Recreation- Vancouver
Roads/Highways- I'd put it between Toronto and Vancouver.

I have a hard time picking which one is my favourite though, all three are great and cool places to visit and are all different as well, so none of the three remotely feel like the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City