Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,743,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
what philly suburbs are you referring to? you do know that the future out you go, the better the schools are. when i was in bala cynwyd. i stayed in lansdowne and lansdowne is boring. lansdowne, darby ,upper darby have gotten worse. im strictly referring to delaware county suburbs and ill take hennepin county in minneapolis over delaware county anyday.
There are many burbs much nicer IMHO than those you speak of. I can't speak for the burbs of MSP whatsoever so wont try the comparison. That said many parts of Bucks and Montgomery offer a lot in terms suburban living, also some of the best public schools in the country. There are a few areas in S Jersey that also are not bad

That said based on my experience with MSP (city) and albeit limited I do find more going on in Philly though MSP seems to be an awesome choice for many (good economy, edgy, pretty cool), especially if desiring a smaller (relative speaking) city that offers a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 9,237,361 times
Quote:
what philly suburbs are you referring to? you do know that the future out you go, the better the schools are. when i was in bala cynwyd. i stayed in lansdowne and lansdowne is boring. lansdowne, darby ,upper darby have gotten worse. im strictly referring to delaware county suburbs and ill take hennepin county in minneapolis over delaware county anyday.
the majority of them. As Kidphilly said most of the suburbs are very nice, its just a select few that you want to avoid. Delaware county is very crowded and congested, but there are a lot of great towns in Delaware County, just a few are less than desirable. Chester and Bucks counties provided more of that natural beauty that you may see outside of Minneapolis.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,907,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
the majority of them. As Kidphilly said most of the suburbs are very nice, its just a select few that you want to avoid. Delaware county is very crowded and congested, but there are a lot of great towns in Delaware County, just a few are less than desirable. Chester and Bucks counties provided more of that natural beauty that you may see outside of Minneapolis.
can you name those cities please? im not disagreeing with you. just that coming from delaware county to minnesota. its a difference.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
can you name those cities please? im not disagreeing with you. just that coming from delaware county to minnesota. its a difference.

What specifically would you be looking for?

There are places closer in to the city, further out, Higher and lower cost etc.

Main Line Towns, West Chester, Conshy, Phoenixville, KOP, Doylestown, Media, Newtown, Haddonfield, Collingswood etc.

Not sure what you are really looking for as a comparator TBH

Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What specifically would you be looking for?

There are places closer in to the city, further out, Higher and lower cost etc.

Main Line Towns, West Chester, Conshy, Phoenixville, KOP, Doylestown, Media, Newtown, Haddonfield, Collingswood etc.

Not sure what you are really looking for as a comparator TBH
put it this way. i moved here because of my job. one of my co workers is moving back actually to the office in bala cynwyd. my fiance would work in media. so for me it would be a 20 min or less commute to bala cynwyd and media pa. good school districts. not car dependent. just being able to walk to a target, grocery store or mall, etc. so med to great walkability. i have all that in edina. only thing i hate is the lack of diversity. its mainly older retired whites. so for me, it would be walkability, school district, more african americans in the city, safety and decent commute to bala cynwyd

Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
put it this way. i moved here because of my job. one of my co workers is moving back actually to the office in bala cynwyd. my fiance would work in media. so for me it would be a 20 min or less commute to bala cynwyd and media pa. good school districts. not car dependent. just being able to walk to a target, grocery store or mall, etc. so med to great walkability. i have all that in edina. only thing i hate is the lack of diversity. its mainly older retired whites. so for me, it would be walkability, school district, more african americans in the city, safety and decent commute to bala cynwyd

Bryn Mawr, Ardmore, or Media would probably work

Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM

7,258 posts, read 10,520,116 times
Quote:
Definitely agree with kidphilly - it sounds like Ardmore would be perfect for you, if you're moving back to the Philly area.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM

im thinking about it. the only reason i would move back though would be family. its annoying having to hop on a plane just to travel for holidays. i love minnesota and everything is has to offer. i just hate the distance from family. thats it.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,703,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Great insight!
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City