Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the best for a night out of drinking & being merry?
Philadelphia 13 46.43%
Washington D.C. 12 42.86%
Baltimore 1 3.57%
All of the above... so who's gonna be the designated driver? 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times

Advertisements

Three great cities for a night out. I'm very interested in finding out good things about each city, which neighborhoods are hot spots and what the best bars are in those neighborhoods. Which neighborhood is best for happy hour/beer drinking/people watching etc.? Where are the gastro-pubs located? We could be talking craft beers, sports bars, night clubs... if the neighborhood is hopping and located in one of these three cities, I want to know about it.

Ultimately I also want to know which of these three cities is 'best' for a night out bar-hopping, so there is a poll.

Finally, I don't want to discuss New York City at all and I want other cities mostly left out of this discussion. Thanks.

Last edited by Dub King; 10-04-2011 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 AM

I'll kick it off with what little I know about Philly...

Gastro Pubs & Micro Brews - Northern Liberties & Kensington. Well known joints include Standard Tap http://standardtap.com/drink.html, Johny Brendas, Frankford Hall, Kraftwork Bar - http://kraftworkbar.com/. In Old City, Triumph Brewing Company! Also, on South Street - Percy St. BBQ has the largest collection of canned microbrews in the city. Check out the new Twisted Tail - Twisted Tail: First Look | Zagat You can grab a guitar and jam with the house band! In University City, Midlantic is great and City Tap House has more types of beer on draft than I've witnessed anywhere http://www.citytaphouse.com/. Near Rittenhouse, Monk's Cafe http://www.monkscafe.com/ is famous for it's selection of Belgian beers.

For dive bars, I'm going with Tattooed Mom's and Dirty Frank's.

Philly also has a really cool website/blog/app for finding places to drink, happy hours, etc. and they are expanding to DC and Baltimore, that's what got me thinking about doing this post - http://philly.thedrinknation.com/

Last edited by Dub King; 10-04-2011 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I'll kick it off with what little I know about Philly...

Gastro Pubs & Micro Brews - Northern Liberties & Kensington. Well known joints include Standard Tap Standard Tap, Johny Brendas, Frankford Hall, Kraftwork Bar - Kraftwork. Triumph Brewing Company! Also, on South Street - Percy St. BBQ has the largest collection of canned microbrews in the city. Check out the new Twisted Tail - Twisted Tail: First Look | Zagat You can grab a guitar and jam with the house band! In University City, Midlantic is great and City Tap House has more types of beer on draft than I've witnessed anywhere City Tap House.
All three are a ton of fun so that's why I voted for... although clearly Baltimore lags a bit behind it's peers here in reality. Baltimore has some really good nightlife options but they are much fewer than in either Philly or DC.

Philly has by far the MOST bars of these cities; though to be fair it is also the by far the largest city by geographic area. If we broke it down to bars per miles I'm fairly certain Philly is still considerably ahead of both, but it is closer.

Philly and DC also have a greater a abundance of bar options. From tiny pubs to large dance clubs and everything in between either city can give you anything you want. DC also has it's gogo bars; which i'm sure DC posters will be here within a few seconds to tout.

DC has the advantage of having it's bars open later, which despite what some try to argue is a DEFINITE advantage. At the same time though it's not as BIG of an advantage as some make it out to be either.

All things considered I think Philly is the clear leader here, with DC close behind and Baltimore considerably behind both. All three can be great fun though, I love going down to Baltimore of DC for fun.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Actually was in the twisted tail last week, and although they make a good (very strong) old fashioned I dont see this place staying open too long, was dead on a Thursday.

On the topic I see a pretty clear order

Philly
DC (Not quite Philly for nightlife but very good, may be the winner for the AA based on what i heard and seen)
Baltimore (Just not the same number or variety of options a nd fewer areas to enjoy IMHO)

Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 AM

That's a shame, seemed like a good renovation, lots of money went into it. I loved those light bulbs and was wondering how much they cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually was in the twisted tail last week, and although they make a good (very strong) old fashioned I dont see this place staying open too long, was dead on a Thursday.

On the topic I see a pretty clear order

Philly
DC (Not quite Philly for nightlife but very good, may be the winner for the AA based on what i heard and seen)
Baltimore (Just not the same number or variety of options a nd fewer areas to enjoy IMHO)

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,351 times
Baltimore is a clear 3rd, but still good.

Number 1 seems like more of a preference.
DC and Philly are both roughly in the same leauge. Above Baltimore, but below NYC, LA, Mia, Chi.

DC has a big high end yuppie scene, but very little of a blue collar dive scene.
Philly has more well rounded mix, but less yuppie high end places.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
1.DC
2.Philly
3.B-more

I say DC leads the pack because of its extensive high-end places. I also feel like its easier to go to one of them then in other cities (IMO). DC has really high-end, middle-of-the-road, and watering holes. Philly has more of a mix of watering holes, watering hole sports bars, and middle-of-the-road bars & restaurant/bars, I don't see too many fancy bars (I only go there for the women, of course). Baltimore has a nice mix but not as many as the aforementioned cities. B-more is more like a standout amongst its peers. I did vote all three because I have positive experiences from them all.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Yall can keep that blue collar touching elbows with some rusty other dudes bar hopping scene. Id rather get my own bottle and be on the town.lol

Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Yall can keep that blue collar touching elbows with some rusty other dudes bar hopping scene. Id rather get my own bottle and be on the town.lol
Hey, not to start some bromance thing but there is nothing like watching a sports game or UFC match with the fellas.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Hey, not to start some bromance thing but there is nothing like watching a sports game or UFC match with the fellas.
Especially when we're oiled up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City