U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM

322 posts, read 529,160 times

Advertisements

I'm a film student about to graduate and I plan on going to either Miami, Atlanta, or New Orleans to pursue my career in Film and television production

Based on what you guys know, which city would be best to go to based on amount of film and television production? Where are there more opportunities? Which of these cities has a larger film, acting, and writing community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM

137 posts, read 215,742 times
speaking for what i know......Atlanta is home to a number of shows filming....necessary roughness, the walking dead, the real housewives, drop dead diva, teen wolf just to name a few. There is a new Screen Gems studio that opened on the southside of town. Of course Tyler perry studios is based here , with a soundstage as well. Also CNN is headquartered here. Then you have the movies that take advantage of our tax break and there is always something filming here. Turner networks are based here (tnt,cartoon network,boomerang,tru tv, tcm). The Weather Channel is based here as well....basically we have options.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
speaking for what i know......Atlanta is home to a number of shows filming....necessary roughness, the walking dead, the real housewives, drop dead diva, teen wolf just to name a few. There is a new Screen Gems studio that opened on the southside of town. Of course Tyler perry studios is based here , with a soundstage as well. Also CNN is headquartered here. Then you have the movies that take advantage of our tax break and there is always something filming here. Turner networks are based here (tnt,cartoon network,boomerang,tru tv, tcm). The Weather Channel is based here as well....basically we have options.
Don't forget TBS, the flagship station to the other Turner networks. It was once known as WTCG, Channel 17, before changing to WTBS, Channel 17, the Superstation. Later the W was dropped and it became TBS.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,188,748 times
Well if you spoke or wrote Spanish I would say Miami. But if you dont than Atlanta. Not really sure what you have New Orleans in mind? Miami has a few on location tv shows and always a movie being filmed here but that would require a job with the tv studio or production studio which unless its spanish tv it is not based in Miami.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Atlanta. New Orleans has a steadily growing industry but the one in Atlanta is already welded to the platform and is more promising.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,289,358 times
From what I have read, I agree with the other posters. It seems that Atlanta offers the best opportunities out of the cities you listed (unless you are trying to do something with spanish television such as Univision or Telemundo).

Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,730,999 times
I'd lean towards New Orleans. There seems to be a more creative atmosphere there than in Atlanta or Miami(unless you consider Hispanic or Caribbean culture). I think it would spur more creativity in a sense. I don't think you'd have a shortage of actors, writers, and other film folks to work with. It definitely seems by far the more "artistic" city of the three. It has a long history of producing important American art(jazz for example).

I'd definitely seek out business contacts in Atlanta though since there are a lot of networks already established here and an increasing amount of studios are considering moving here. You don't necessarily have to live here to take advantage of the opportunities they offer though.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I'd lean towards New Orleans. There seems to be a more creative atmosphere there than in Atlanta or Miami(unless you consider Hispanic or Caribbean culture). I think it would spur more creativity in a sense. I don't think you'd have a shortage of actors, writers, and other film folks to work with. It definitely seems by far the more "artistic" city of the three. It has a long history of producing important American art(jazz for example).

I'd definitely seek out business contacts in Atlanta though since there are a lot of networks already established here and an increasing amount of studios are considering moving here. You don't necessarily have to live here to take advantage of the opportunities they offer though.
That's what I wanted to say, just was too lazy to type it.
He seems like he is aiming towards the corporate film/television world and Atlanta would be a more definite choice.

Although I do agree there would not be a shortage of actors or writers versus the other two cities.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
From an industry perspective and based on current momentum, I'd probably go with Atlanta myself.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,135,109 times
Film and I'd go with New Orleans. Television I'd pick Atlanta. New Orleans and Georgia are neck and neck in terms of film production right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or