U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,821,441 times

Advertisements

2. New York (1) – New York is strong

5. Los Angeles (5) – LA solidifying her hold on No. 5

16. Las Vegas (16) – Las Vegas and Monaco virtually tied on the Top Fashion Capitals ranking

22. Mexico City (29) — The vast metropolis now claims the No. 2 spot in Latin America.

26. Miami (8) – More than just swim- and leisure-wear town.

34. Toronto (38) – Now known for more than its fine Film Festival.

36. Chicago (38) – City of the Big Shoulders stretching out toward word-class fashion.

37. Dallas (40) – For Western Wear, please see Fort Worth.

38. San Francisco (Debut) – Makes the list, like Austin, for it quirky, eclectic style.

40. Austin (Debut) – Eclectic? Outlandish? Even Green Fashion? Austin has it all.

45. Atlanta (40) – Learning the ropes of competing globally, with a definitely Southern flair.

49. Montreal (Debut) – A strong debut into the Top Fifty.

Fashion Capital of the World?

New debut for San Francisco, Austin, Montreal. Miami down by 18 since 2010, New York down by 1, Atlanta down by 5. LA and Vegas constant. Mexico City up by 7, Toronto up by 4, Chicago up by 2, Dallas up by 3.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
2. New York (1) – New York is strong

5. Los Angeles (5) – LA solidifying her hold on No. 5

16. Las Vegas (16) – Las Vegas and Monaco virtually tied on the Top Fashion Capitals ranking

22. Mexico City (29) — The vast metropolis now claims the No. 2 spot in Latin America.

26. Miami (8) – More than just swim- and leisure-wear town.

34. Toronto (38) – Now known for more than its fine Film Festival.

36. Chicago (38) – City of the Big Shoulders stretching out toward word-class fashion.

37. Dallas (40) – For Western Wear, please see Fort Worth.

38. San Francisco (Debut) – Makes the list, like Austin, for it quirky, eclectic style.

40. Austin (Debut) – Eclectic? Outlandish? Even Green Fashion? Austin has it all.

45. Atlanta (40) – Learning the ropes of competing globally, with a definitely Southern flair.

49. Montreal (Debut) – A strong debut into the Top Fifty.

Fashion Capital of the World?

New debut for San Francisco, Austin, Montreal. Miami down by 18 since 2010, New York down by 1, Atlanta down by 5. LA and Vegas constant. Mexico City up by 7, Toronto up by 4, Chicago up by 2, Dallas up by 3.
Apart from the suffocatingly annoying stereotyping going on in some of those summaries(LOL), in my experience NY is far and away number 1. Walk around Manhattan and fashion plates are a dime a dozen. Its very hard to stand out there.

Other than that, LA is a good number 2 as its sorta like New York but people in LA dont seem to be as competitive about fashion as Manhattanites in my humble experience. Id put Miami at 3rd in the US(I kinda like their flashiness of how they coordinate whites and earthy colors into their apparel. Its lovely) and Dallas at 4th(they are like NY jr when it comes to seriousness about dressing in my opinion). Not that the other cities are unfashionable, but I think these 4 are standouts.

Vegas is a fashion trainwreck in my experience and most of the swank boutiques are largely frequented by out of towners who arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday.

I will say this though, the Ross store on the LV strip has the shiniest, most sequined, most frilly, leopard-skinned merchandise of any Ross store Ive ever been to in my life. Even the luggage is furry. LOL.

Lastly, in my experience, European cities are extremely overrated as far as dressing up as I have found Americans are far more fashionable overall.

Internationally, I think Tokyo is the best dressed city in the world.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM

614 posts, read 1,197,803 times
How did Miami fall 18 spots in a one year span? That's a pretty hefty drop.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Yeah, rankings shouldnt fluctuate that much in such a short time period.

I wonder if its based on the opinions of tempermental 'one day your in, and the next your out' fashion critics? If so then it makes sense cause their opinions are totally based on fads and trends of the moment in the highest echelon of fashion, they are far less interested in what everyday people wear. That's my guess.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Last years ranking The Global Language Monitor Blog Archive New York Regains Fashion Capital Crown from Milan

Miami ranked 8th in the world but also introduced a new line in the swimsuit subset to propel it into the big 10. Miami is an outstanding fashion capital but was ranked much to high last year only off of a few subsets. This year Miami didn't prioritize newer fashion sense and fell on the list, there was little creativity in Miami's scene this year as compared to last. Miami's rank should be where Vegas is IMO.

I agree with 18Montclair, New York, LA, Miami, Dallas are the U.S's four strongest fashion centers, Vegas serves as an alternative to LA but for a metro of 2 million its very impressive and 5th would be a respectable rank for it.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 AM

3,246 posts, read 4,547,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Apart from the suffocatingly annoying stereotyping going on in some of those summaries(LOL), in my experience NY is far and away number 1. Walk around Manhattan and fashion plates are a dime a dozen. Its very hard to stand out there.

Other than that, LA is a good number 2 as its sorta like New York but people in LA dont seem to be as competitive about fashion as Manhattanites in my humble experience.
Perhaps because "nobody walks in LA"*?

In my experience, Los Angelenos care a lot more about what kind of car you're driving though.

*note to City-Data enthusiasts: this is a quote from a Missing Persons song, not a statement of absolute fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or