Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM

83 posts, read 176,186 times

Advertisements

I was thinking, and I know this might be too big of a task, but I think you forum members are capable. Because after all, this is the smartest forum on the internet...

But what I'd like to see is side by side comparisons of skylines to scale. You could try with actual photos but they have to be taken from the same distance on the same level plane, so maybe if we could somehow lay the cities out on and even plane with no obstructions like trees and bridges. Kind of like a architect would lay out a side view plan of a building, except of course with the entire skyline. Now that is probably asking a little too much, but it doesn't have to be that detailed of course....

I think this could be an absolute way of justifying how much bigger skylines are when compared to eachother. I will post a picture up when I get home as an example of what I'm imaging, and I'll let you guys do the nitty gritty.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBMaYNE View Post
I was thinking, and I know this might be too big of a task, but I think you forum members are capable. Because after all, this is the smartest forum on the internet...

But what I'd like to see is side by side comparisons of skylines to scale. You could try with actual photos but they have to be taken from the same distance on the same level plane, so maybe if we could somehow lay the cities out on and even plane with no obstructions like trees and bridges. Kind of like a architect would lay out a side view plan of a building, except of course with the entire skyline. Now that is probably asking a little too much, but it doesn't have to be that detailed of course....

I think this could be an absolute way of justifying how much bigger skylines are when compared to eachother. I will post a picture up when I get home as an example of what I'm imaging, and I'll let you guys do the nitty gritty.

I dont know about all that.....

Just go to SSP and look at the diagram drawings.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I have seen some perspectives done by Dub King - to me in fuction it is difficult as pure apples to apples comparisons in this way may be difficult to achieve in practice

Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have seen some perspectives done by Dub King - to me in fuction it is difficult as pure apples to apples comparisons in this way may be difficult to achieve in practice
Well I don't think it necessarily has to be done through drawings and diagrams, I think we have skilled photographers that could get us the best vantage points of skylines with the same exact distances.

I'm going to draw some concepts out myself, it will probably take me a few days, but I'll post it up and you guys can tell me what you think.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM

Regardless size isnt always the most imprtant factor in preference. I prefer Chicago to NYC or Atlanta to Miami etc.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Regardless size isnt always the most imprtant factor in preference. I prefer Chicago to NYC or Atlanta to Miami etc.
Definitely not, but this isn't really about finding relative size as it is with finding the relative height. Numbers are one thing, but to actually see side by side comparisons is another.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting to use this to solve which skyline is better because that's not something determined just by height and size. There's many factors like scenery, placement, design, fluidity, etc... But in the short time I've been viewing these boards, the relative size and height is definitely something that's constantly argued. I think this could be something cool and fun to try to do.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 AM

These are some images I have seen with an attempt at this

From Dub King so will only post the links

Philly/Chicago
Super Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6033930972/in/photostream - broken link)

Philly/SF
Philly-vs-SF from Google Earth | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6005007355/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Philly-vs-SF2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6005403383/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
This doesn't work too well, because skylines can appear smaller or larger depending on the angle and distance a picture is taken from. The comparison kidphilly posted between Philly and SF for example has SF's skyline from a couple angles that makes it look smaller than it is, and the scale seems to be slightly off, with CC Philly a little bit further away than DT SF. I can you show you other angles of that same skyline where it looks much bigger (SF literally does have a larger skyline than Philly, but you wouldn't know it looking at those pics that are linked)...i think that's the main issue with doing this. If we could somehow agree on what "the best" skyline shot is for every single city, have them all be at the same distance/scale, and then compare those, this would work better, but it still wouldn't be perfect.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM

Kidphilly those are really impressive but a little more overwhelming than I expected. I'm not sure how you even get 3D imaging of skylines, that's incredible. The concept I'm thinking of is much simpler and like I said when I have time I'm going to draw some examples and post them.

But yea Rah, there's no perfect way to compare the sheer size, but through the way I'm thinking we can get reallly close to comparing size and height.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Are you talking about this.....................its already done, you just have to compare cities.

Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com

Chicago Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City