Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 03:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Towards the bottom.
The problem with DTLA is it is so spotty in its revitalization. There are some areas where I'd be comfortable saying it ranks just below Philadelphia or Seattle, and then other places where it appears to be completely dead.

It also depends on what time it is. When I have been during the day it was just as busy as what I experienced in Boston.

In the evening the discrepancy I mentioned above becomes more apparent. South Park / Spring Street Corridor / Little Tokyo / 7th and Fig all seemed lively to me, but going through the areas between these places can be pretty quiet. Grand / Olive / Hill / Main around 8th St. were all pretty dead the last time I was there on a week night (after 11 PM on a Tuesday) but then getting to Broadway there was a lot more activity, particularly around the new Umamicatessan (sp?) building.

Overall I'd say it is in the middle of the pack but the good news is it is rapidly improving: Four Historic Broadway Theaters Being Brought Back to Life - On Broadway - Curbed LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The problem with DTLA is it is so spotty in its revitalization. There are some areas where I'd be comfortable saying it ranks just below Philadelphia or Seattle, and then other places where it appears to be completely dead.

It also depends on what time it is. When I have been during the day it was just as busy as what I experienced in Boston.
Isn't every city like this? I've never experienced any city that was consistently vibrant throughout downtown...there are some areas that are busy at certain times of the day and some areas that are busy at other times - and there are some areas that aren't busy at all. Boston was like that and NYC too...

Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Isn't every city like this? I've never experienced any city that was consistently vibrant throughout downtown...there are some areas that are busy at certain times of the day and some areas that are busy at other times - and there are some areas that aren't busy at all. Boston was like that and NYC too...
True Downtown Crossing is pretty dead at night, as was the Financial District (worked in a coffee shop there, closed at 5 and on the weekends because there was no point in being open then).

Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
With regards to Seattle, weather matters a ton for foot traffic - more than anywhere else I've seen. On a warm summer day, foot traffic is awesome not just throughout downtown but most adjacent neighborhoods as well. On a very cold, rainy winter day foot traffic is pretty lackluster outside of a few central areas. Usually, it falls somewhere in the middle

In general, people are exaggerating about Downtown Seattle in both directions. No, it is not up there with NYC, SF, Chicago, Philly, or Boston. Yes, it is far more than just "a few blocks" of heavy foot traffic. Westlake Center and the area around Pike Place do have the most foot traffic, but Belltown, Pioneer Square, the Waterfront, West Edge, and South Lake Union - as well as the areas in between - all have a good amount of foot traffic too. South Lake Union has changed a ton even in the last year. The interesection of Denny and Westlake (which was a ghost town 4 years ago, as evidenced by Google maps) is now busy with pedestrians during much of the day. There is also a lot of infill development happening in downtown and it is on its way to becoming much more cohesive and vibrant throughout. Nearby neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Queen Anne have very solid night time foot traffic.

So, in summary, Seattle is not a top tier downtown in terms of foot traffic. But, while a dropoff still exists given how packed the central areas are, other parts of downtown are becoming increasingly bustling and it is the busiest of the second tier downtowns (Minneapolis, Denver, Pittsburgh, etc.), no doubt.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:55 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Any city with a large CBD is going to see a lot of foot traffic, no matter the time of year.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Has anyone considered Denver? 16th street mall is a bustling area.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6146/...799469d6_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM

36 posts, read 44,265 times
It really is and it's the 4th largest city in the U.S.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m15starrrad View Post
It really is and it's the 4th largest city in the U.S.
Not sure if you were responding to me, but Denver is far from the 4th largest city in the nation, which is why I think the foot traffic is impressive for its size.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:10 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I agree - DT Seattle foot traffic is great but it is clearly below NYC, Chicago, SF, Philly, and Boston, and slightly below DC.

However, of the tier below these cities, I'd say Seattle is head and shoulders above the others (Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, Baltimore, etc.)

I agree. The thing that strikes me with Seattle is that you see the same pictures of the same walk near where some of the designer stores are like Nordstrom and J-Crew. Every picture I see of Seattle where it is bustling is in that same area. This is why I don't think it compares to Philly or Boston or on the same level. San Fran and NYC aren't even in the same conversation. If you start telling me Seattle is like San Fran and Manhattan then I vote we give drug screens to C-der's...Kidding! I hope! Sometimes I wonder about me. lol

Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
SF
Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
Washington
Miami (hit or miss, seems to be very dense, they have a density of 12,000 there)
Seattle
Chicago

Now for cities i think are pretty high up
Atlanta
Cleveland
Portland
San Diego
LA (has to be equivalent to these cities)
Dallas Texas( yes i said dallas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City