U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM

21,971 posts, read 30,890,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Downtown Philly is bigger than Downtown Seattle but not by much . Im not saying Seattle has more foot traffic either , But Seattle is no slouch . Both center city Philly ,And Downtown Seattle are about 2 square miles.

Total Office space

Philly - 40,000,000
Seattle -42,000,000

Total hotel rooms

Philly - 11,000+
Seattle 13,000+

Total Work Force

Philly- 265,000
Seattle- 235,000

Total Population

Philly- 92,000
Seattle 58,000

Downtown Seattle isn't a slouch. But Philly Seems like it has more people in the same area since both downtowns are similar in size.
I do find Seattle with very good foot traffic volumes, to me it is still a level below many other cities discussed here. Also on your stats, remember that there are an additional 300K people that live with a 5-10 minute walk of the DT in Philly (plus nearly 100K additional college students in 10-15 minutes walk), Philly also moves more than 700K people on rail throught its DT on an average day and believe has more tourists (especially when considering single day trippers) - these neighborhoods also flow much more seemless when compared to Seattle where there is a much marked drop off from DT to the next set of neighborhoods. Seattle may peak but does not sustain like a Boston/Philly/SF IMHO

Also the employement stats exclude the more than 100K that work in U City, adding to the people in the area which is literally right next to DT.

While Seattle does have a very good DT, to me it is still overall a notch below some of these others, especially in that Seattle seems to more have some very specific areas of concentration, with less continuity on this metric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 30,195 times
San Francisco and Chicago.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,307,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I do find Seattle with very good foot traffic volumes, to me it is still a level below many other cities discussed here. Also on your stats, remember that there are an additional 300K people that live with a 5-10 minute walk of the DT in Philly (plus nearly 100K additional college students in 10-15 minutes walk), Philly also moves more than 700K people on rail throught its DT on an average day and believe has more tourists (especially when considering single day trippers) - these neighborhoods also flow much more seemless when compared to Seattle where there is a much marked drop off from DT to the next set of neighborhoods. Seattle may peak but does not sustain like a Boston/Philly/SF IMHO

Also the employement stats exclude the more than 100K that work in U City, adding to the people in the area which is literally right next to DT.

While Seattle does have a very good DT, to me it is still overall a notch below some of these others, especially in that Seattle seems to more have some very specific areas of concentration, with less continuity on this metric.
Philly is not that dense for you to walk 10 mins in ANY direction and reach a population of 300k. That 10 min walk is what about a mile???

Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM

40 posts, read 33,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
New York,

drop off

San Fran

drop off

Philly

Boston

Chicago..

While Chicago looks more similar to NYC with all of the skyscrapers and such. I never thought that the foot traffic in that city was very impressive. And I've been there alot. These other cities have smaller downtowns with the exception of NY but have more people walking around. And I've been to all of these cities in which I am judging..That's not to say that there are parts of Chicago that are really congested. But if I think of the "whole" downtown, I would rank those other cities higher with foot traffic..Just my two
cents..

Smp
I agree. There are times during a normal weeknight that both Philly and San Fran have more foot traffic than Chicago. Chicago, despite what boosters say here, is still very car oriented. The winters do not help either and the sense that getting between major city attractions is a really long walk, and the El isn't the best option

Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM

31,598 posts, read 53,229,348 times
@Natural510,

Downtown SF is not just the Financial District. Its also Union Square, parts of SOMA, the civic center area, parts of Chinatown, parts of North Beach etc.

I might say Fisherman's Wharf is a stretch tho.

Er, wonder why I no longer see the post Im resoponding to? Oops.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Philly is not that dense for you to walk 10 mins in ANY direction and reach a population of 300k. That 10 min walk is what about a mile???

Actually Philly does have a population of 275K in the core 6 sq miles based on the latest census data. This includes neighborhoods that can be reached and/or reach the core within a 10 minute walk. That doesnt mean all these areas can reach every other area but all this population can reach at least a part of CC (or the core) within this time frame. Philly is actually a very dense city. Also remember that Philly has nearly 70K people that walk to work in CC everyday, there are a lot of people that live within this distance (this 275K is nearly 80% of the whole population of Atlanta which covers 135 sq miles as a relative population reference)

Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 12,588,303 times
I can see dt Seattle a notch below dt San Francisco and Chicago, but honestly I don't see it any notches below dt Philedelphia.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,967,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
What city has the most pedestrains and foot traffic in their downtown area?
Green Bay.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I can see dt Seattle a notch below dt San Francisco and Chicago, but honestly I don't see it any notches below dt Philedelphia.

While I will respect your opinion, are you serious? Maybe in a few areas but overall in the DT of Seattle, seriously? and at all times of day?

How much experience do you have with philly as am just curious. I personally dont see Seattle at the level of DC let alone Philly

Old 10-25-2011, 03:38 PM

8,381 posts, read 8,469,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

I think you are right on, and I know you have a million pictures to show....

1. Manhattan
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Seattle
5. DC, Boston & Philly

Last edited by slo1318; 10-25-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or