Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa or Portland
Portland 63 48.09%
Tampa 68 51.91%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,622 times

Advertisements

the "attraction" theory, I bet is correct. I live in Portland now and I think there are a lot of unattractive people here. The vast majority are pasty white, have long beards, hairy backs, and those ear gauges. That's just not my type of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
the "attraction" theory, I bet is correct. I live in Portland now and I think there are a lot of unattractive people here. The vast majority are pasty white, have long beards, hairy backs, and those ear gauges. That's just not my type of person.
I'm just glad I was able to find a girl without a hairy back...

Well, that's the apparent stereotype of Portland--though the vast majority of people in the metro area are pretty average once you step out of the inner east-side.

But don't know what Florida stereotype I'm supposed to even fall back on for Tampa. Old Jews and Cubans? Rednecks who might as well be in Georgia? Lost Midwestern tourists looking for theme parks?

Last edited by Deezus; 01-16-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Is the ethnic food in Portland really that Mediocre? B/C I don't exactly think of Tampa as an ethnic food hot spot...I mean it's okay, and if what you say is true Portland and ethnic food must be terrible. If by ethnic you mean only cuban, then I'll pass. Cuban cuisine is probably the blandest and mildly spiced of all the latin american cuisines, basically the Sweden of Europe. I know people like it, but really not my thing. I like spicy/pungent/lots of flavors.
Yeah, I don't get that either. Tampa strikes me more as chains galore, with some Cuban food.

Portland has all the ethnic eateries, plus the food trucks, plus is a huge organic hospot. That seems way more varied to me.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
Portland.

Because I'm more familiar with the city, and I would remain closer to family . But the wet and gloomy weather really sucks.

Tampa is nice for a vacation, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too flat and humid in the summer.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Portland.

Because I'm more familiar with the city, and I would remain closer to family . But the wet and gloomy weather really sucks.

Tampa is nice for a vacation, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too flat and humid in the summer.
Which begs the question: Does it become less flat in the winter?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
"Vast majority?" ... Seriously? I'll give you the pasty white part. But you seem to think that 90% of the people in Portland are male. And 25. Shoot ... I had to google it to even find out what the heck an "ear gauge" was.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Which begs the question: Does it become less flat in the winter?
I can stand Oregon winters, aside from the one this year which is not normal Oregon winters by any means. Florida is perfect in the winter aside from the occasional cold snaps, but I still don't want to live there, not even in the winter.

Nice to vacation there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City