U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 PM

1,998 posts, read 3,092,699 times

Advertisements

Let's talk Hip Hop!

ALL the elements of the entire populat culture of Hip Hip. Not just the music, but the culture as a whole.

What credit does your town have in the world of Hip Hop? What has been your city's contributions to Hip Hop? What mainstream scene is in your city? Whats the underground scene like in your city? How does your city fair with the other elements of Hip Hop? What are common misconceptions about hip hop in your town? What does your town not get credit for contributing to Hip Hop? Etc... Anything HIP HOP related

Old 10-22-2011, 04:26 PM

14,189 posts, read 20,319,660 times
If anyone thinks NOLA hip-hop is anything like what comes out of Lil Waynes mouth, they are mistaken. Other than that, Baton Rouge has influenced a lot of southern hip-hop with Boosie (before 2006/7), Webbie, Kevin Gates, Trill as a whole including Mouse on tha Track, Bee-Lo, Max Minelli, and producer Savage.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM

6,915 posts, read 12,650,375 times
Oakland obviously has a huge history in the independent game in the past and now... we have our fair share of big name rappers and a couple laundry lists worth of underground rappers. There's a lot of great graffiti artists from our neck of the woods... a couple variants of Hip Hop dance have started here that have become popular all over the world, turfing being the main one. Spoken word is also huge here; many of the most famous spoken word artists have come out of Oakland (Raphael Saadiq, Ise Lyfe, etc).

One of our major contributions to Hip Hop culture as a whole is slang, particularly from E-40, Mac Dre, Too $hort, etc. Words like "Scrilla" have entered popular usage again in recent times but were clearly originated here.

The Bay's largest contribution though is independent culture... we greatly influenced scenes in the South and the Midwest in regards to moving independently (see Master P and New Orleans, Rich The Factor and KCMO, etc).

Despite all of Oakland's contributions though, it was largely overlooked by Hip Hop fans east of the Mississippi in favor of LA in the 90's and continues to be overlooked today other than the brief resurgence with Hyphy. However, Oakland does get plenty of respect throughout the west coast, the midwest and even the South.

Some of our most well-known rappers (old and new):

Too Short
Hieroglyphics
MC Hammer
Oaktown's 357
Luniz
Keak Da Sneak (of 3X Krazy and solo fame)
Kreayshawn
MC Hammer

Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Dee-1 (from NOLA) is nice

Old 10-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Some of our most well-known rappers (old and new):

Too Short
Hieroglyphics
MC Hammer
Oaktown's 357
Luniz
Keak Da Sneak (of 3X Krazy and solo fame)
Kreayshawn
MC Hammer
Don't forget:

Tupac (sort of)
Digital Underground
Spice 1
Celly Cel
E-40
-Yukmouth (well, I guess you covered him w/ Luniz)
-Numskull (also from Luniz)
Metaphysical
Saafir
Thug Lordz
and some others...

Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM

What major US City (MSA over 1 million) if any has NO mainstream Hip Hop acts???

Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM

It's also worth noting that Oakland and the Bay Area in general is somewhat interesting in that Bay rappers come from all sorts of backgrounds and walks of life that are all but non-existent in most other scenes in the country. In terms of racial background there's lots of asian, white, pacific islander, latino, etc. rappers (and of course black rappers) and that they come from all over the Bay... the Bay is a scene with multiple nodes that produce music. Historically the three "hubs" have been Oakland, San Francisco and Vallejo (in that order) and then the smaller nodes include East Palo Alto, Pittsburg, Berkeley and Richmond, but many rappers also come from other Bay cities. Despite being adjacent the cities are fairly musically unique... San Francisco has more of a "Hip Hop" slant on its music (backpack and street rap), Oakland has more of a bent towards street rap, Berkeley is more experimental, etc.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Don't forget:

Tupac (sort of)
Digital Underground
Spice 1
Celly Cel
E-40
-Yukmouth (well, I guess you covered him w/ Luniz)
-Numskull (also from Luniz)
Metaphysical
Saafir
Thug Lordz
and some others...

I was talking about rappers specifically from Oakland; Spice 1's from Hayward, Celly Cel's from Vallejo, Tupac's more from Marin City than Oakland, E-40's from Vallejo, Saafir isn't that big of a name outside of the underground and half of Thug Lordz is from Sacramento (C-Bo). I did forget Digital Underground though.

If we're just talking about Bay rappers though then that list increases exponentially.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
What major US City (MSA over 1 million) if any has NO mainstream Hip Hop acts???

The main city I can think of would be Kansas City; they've always been underground but have had next to no mainstream success. Minneapolis would be another one unless you count Atmosphere. Seattle hasn't had much other than Sir Mix-A-Lot and some underground groups like Blue Scholars. Portland hasn't had any big-name rappers to the best of my knowledge. Baltimore hasn't had much either although Los looks promising.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The main city I can think of would be Kansas City; they've always been underground but have had next to no mainstream success. Minneapolis would be another one unless you count Atmosphere. Seattle hasn't had much other than Sir Mix-A-Lot and some underground groups like Blue Scholars. Portland hasn't had any big-name rappers to the best of my knowledge. Baltimore hasn't had much either although Los looks promising.
Actually, Tech N9ne is from Kansas City. And he's mainstream. He was on the BET Cypha.

Also, Kansas City has a lot of artists.

Stik Figa (NICE)
DBL Rhyme Family
Skanless City

Seattle also had Kid Sensation ("Back to Boom boom/Back to, Back to boom" Remember that?!?! LOL)
Since then, Right now I can only think of Giant Panda. Jake One is from Seattle and he's made beats for many mainstream and underground artists. Actually can't name anyone for you, but he has his own mixed tapes to download.

Yeah, I'd count Atmosphere for Minneapolis. People that pay attention to hip hop know who he is.

Actually, there's only one group that I can think of from Portland, and I can't even remember their names right now. Something like... Lifesavers or something. 3 dudes that try to look like pimps. I'll have to search thru my iTunes to figure that out.

And Baltimore actually has some acts that just don't get any air play.
Mully Man
Bossman
Rye Rye (SUCKS!!!)
And there are more, but I just can't think of any right now. Mullyman is pretty well known though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or