U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city do you like better?
Philadelphia 50 54.35%
Denver 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM

204 posts, read 235,121 times
Denver is better than Philly if you ask me...been there once (it was an okay city) but I wouldn't care to go back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM

100 posts, read 58,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I lived in both. The Denver region (note that I mention Region) has so much that Philly doesn't have. It depends on the person.

In Denver you are a hour drive to some of the best mountain scenery and sports in America. In Philly you can get to the Jersey shore.

Though Denver doesn't compete with Philly on terms of the amount of culture, food, architecture, etc. But it also doesn't have as many urban issues as Philly has.

I would do anything to be in Colorado again, but I always felt Denver's neighborhoods were somewhat bland outside Capitol Hill, and it's suburbs are mostly all Generica.
But Denver isn't also in the Northeastern corridor, next to the two most important cities in the US: DC and NYC. Also, Philadelphia is relatively near to the ocean (which I love), and the mountains (Poconos, Alleghenies, etc.)

I love being near the water. Denver would make me feel isolated.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
But Denver isn't also in the Northeastern corridor, next to the two most important cities in the US: DC and NYC. Also, Philadelphia is relatively near to the ocean (which I love), and the mountains (Poconos, Alleghenies, etc.)

I love being near the water. Denver would make me feel isolated.
I was waiting for someone to say this. Why rely on other cities?

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 10-26-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM

100 posts, read 58,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I was waiting for someone to say this. Why relay on other cities?
Well, you guys are relying on your region. Why can't we rely on ours, which happens to include NYC and DC?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:45 PM

18,521 posts, read 14,539,118 times
Quote:
I was waiting for someone to say this. Why relay on other cities?

Dont actually have to seriously, a nice plus but Philly has more than enough amenities on its own to surpass those offered in Denver. (Overall the metro of Philly is considerably larger than Denver to begin with and offers more sans larger mountains and better skiing yet you can ski in the Philly metro) but having NYC and DC both under two hours away can be a great perk

Personally I like Denver but it is far too from the coast. I personally would never live that far from the coast

On choosing where to live or which place is better it is all subjective anyway, certain aspects can be objective or quantified but preference is individual and always correct for the person with the preference.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Well, you guys are relying on your region. Why can't we rely on ours, which happens to include NYC and DC?
The only thing we are relying on are the mountains. Its not like we're relying on another large city (simply because there isn't one!). However, i realize whenever there is a Philly thread, they seem to bring up the whole Northeast. Its not like Denver posters are trying to make a case by using the whole westen USA. I'm not saying that its a bad thing..just something i notice is all.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM

5,813 posts, read 3,587,309 times
Quote:
Having NYC and DC so close is nice, but I think Philly stands perfectly fine on its own. It's more than just some "rest stop" between the nation's capital and largest city. In fact, I think more people would give Philly its due if it were more geographically isolated.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM

10,030 posts, read 4,800,184 times
Denver for the weather, i also think that Denver is more laid back and friendly even if Philly is a historic beautiful city

Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 PM

846 posts, read 1,371,172 times
Quote:
I was waiting for someone to say this. Why rely on other cities?

Why not? Having NYC 1hr and a half away is a huge plus.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM

5,279 posts, read 2,183,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
[/b]
Why not? Having NYC 1hr and a half away is a huge plus.
It makes it seem like Philly can't win on its own merit, when it easily can. It's not a good argument IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City