U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-26-2011, 07:31 PM
 
6,863 posts, read 7,724,228 times
Reputation: 2960

Advertisements

Something is wrong with this list. How do Detroit and Orlando rank high? These places are plagued with economic woos.

No. 20 Philadelphia, PA - Jacquelyn Smith - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 PM
 
14 posts, read 17,226 times
Reputation: 17
Detroit is a pretty good city for carreers and im sure the young pros who move there knew what they were moving there for. Its really not a surprise. Detroit has the auto industry which a lot of yuppies specialize in. Detroit is home to them, and they are very happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,532,487 times
Reputation: 503
The list looks flipped backwards. Yuppies generally also have yuppie taste, and the cities that are high on there do not seem to cater to yuppies, the cities on the other end do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
 
221 posts, read 393,899 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Something is wrong with this list. How do Detroit and Orlando rank high? These places are plagued with economic woos.

No. 20 Philadelphia, PA - Jacquelyn Smith - Forbes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
The list looks flipped backwards. Yuppies generally also have yuppie taste, and the cities that are high on there do not seem to cater to yuppies, the cities on the other end do.
In regards to Detroit (I'm from Ann Arbor and went to college out there by Detroit), Detroit does cater to yuppies. Downtown Detroit, not so much, but there's ALOT of stuff in the suburbs that cater to the yuppies. You are forgetting about Oakland County, that has alot of great cities like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Novi, Troy, Auburn Hills, even Southfield, and so forth. Even Detroit (downtown and Midtown) are catering more and more to the yuppies, and there's always the sports (Comerica Park, Ford Field, Joe Louis Arena), the beautiful theaters, the Casinos, Greek town, and so on). There's stuff going on across the river in Windsor, ON. The great thing, is the cost of living is reasonable, so the yuppies can enjoy all these things without paying an arm and a leg in bills, which could be why Detroit has some of the happiest yuppies in America

Oh, and there's also Ann Arbor, which is one of the top college towns in the U.S., home to one of the best universities in the U.S. (and beyond), and has alot of stuff going on (and with Ypsilanti right next door). Must I add, Ann Arbor has the LARGEST art fair/festival not only in America, but in the entire North American Continent (and you could probably say the entire western hemisphere, since I haven't heard of any major art fairs in South America).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,599 posts, read 53,148,159 times
Reputation: 14516
What happens if you are urban, professional but OLD? Does that make you a OUPPY?

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
 
Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 962,397 times
Reputation: 432
The happiest yuppies would be SF, come across as fairies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,532,487 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
In regards to Detroit (I'm from Ann Arbor and went to college out there by Detroit), Detroit does cater to yuppies. Downtown Detroit, not so much, but there's ALOT of stuff in the suburbs that cater to the yuppies. You are forgetting about Oakland County, that has alot of great cities like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Novi, Troy, Auburn Hills, even Southfield, and so forth. Even Detroit (downtown and Midtown) are catering more and more to the yuppies, and there's always the sports (Comerica Park, Ford Field, Joe Louis Arena), the beautiful theaters, the Casinos, Greek town, and so on). There's stuff going on across the river in Windsor, ON. The great thing, is the cost of living is reasonable, so the yuppies can enjoy all these things without paying an arm and a leg in bills, which could be why Detroit has some of the happiest yuppies in America

Oh, and there's also Ann Arbor, which is one of the top college towns in the U.S., home to one of the best universities in the U.S. (and beyond), and has alot of stuff going on (and with Ypsilanti right next door). Must I add, Ann Arbor has the LARGEST art fair/festival not only in America, but in the entire North American Continent (and you could probably say the entire western hemisphere, since I haven't heard of any major art fairs in South America).
the definition of yuppies is young urban professionals, so it seems like there is a paradox if the suburbs is catering to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,532,487 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
The happiest yuppies would be SF, come across as fairies.
SF is full of Bobos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top