U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM

816 posts, read 1,540,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
So you were lying when you said you lived in CA. What's that going out my window? Oh yeah, your credibility.
Learn to read. Where did you get that from? I said I have lived in SEVERAL denser cities, not JUST in CA.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 968,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
It only matters for perspective. You may be one of these guys who flew in for business once a month for six months and claim to have "lived" there.

The point is there isnt a pure definition of urban. For that matter San Diego is urban, Miami is urban Dallas is urban all to varying degrees.
Are you serious? What is next Tampa, Birmingham and Sacramento? What a total joke! Obvious no clue as to what urban is if you think Dallas, Miami and Diego are urban.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 PM

8,384 posts, read 8,499,475 times
Quote:
If you were to compare SD and LA on urbanity, LA would pummel San Diego. San Diego seems to be more typical of what all the LA-haters (cause that's what they are) are stereotyping it as.

I agree, but thats part of the point, that all those cities are in fact urban to varying degrees. They dont have to meet an exact criteria.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,639,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Learn to read. Where did you get that from? I said I have lived in SEVERAL denser cities, not JUST in CA.
Quote:
I lived in CA, I have been there dozens of times. It isn't urban, if I lived there since 1960 it still wouldn't be urban. What is your point?
There. You said it.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM

20,450 posts, read 21,986,171 times
LA as a whole is not that urban. So it's possible to say LA is not urban and be right.

However, it's a specific kind of tunnel-visioned right especially if you're making the comparison to smaller cities like Boston, Philadelphia, SF, and DC. The physical land area of Los Angeles is easily greater than the physical land area of all those cities combined and the population within Los Angeles is not evenly distributed. When you look at the mostly contiguous parts of Los Angeles which are incredibly dense (downtown area over to the west side), you have an incredibly dense and large area of urbanity that does rival those of the traditional urban cities and has comparable amenities (even in regards to mass transit).

Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,639,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LA as a whole is not that urban. So it's possible to say LA is not urban and be right.

However, it's a specific kind of tunnel-visioned right especially if you're making the comparison to smaller cities like Boston, Philadelphia, SF, and DC. The physical land area of Los Angeles is easily greater than the physical land area of all those cities combined and the population within Los Angeles is not evenly distributed. When you look at the mostly contiguous parts of Los Angeles which are incredibly dense (downtown area over to the west side), you have an incredibly dense and large area of urbanity that does rival those of the traditional urban cities and has comparable amenities (even in regards to mass transit).
I agree with this... I am not delusional about Los Angeles. Like OyCrumbler said, there are lots of areas that are not urban at all. I just choose not to live there and don't really visit them.

It just irks me when the same three trolls make a point of bashing LA at every turn.

Last edited by munchitup; 10-27-2011 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: whoops

Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM

816 posts, read 1,540,136 times
Quote:
There. You said it.
Your reading comprehension is low if you can't separate clauses referring to separate things which you took out of context from the thread. One clause refers to living in CA, the other refers to going to LA dozens of times. In the other sentence, it refers to living in several denser cities, not just in CA. Where is the confusion? Just in your mind I suppose. The very idea you are trying to take an ad hominem attack on me, instead of addressing the argument, speaks for your character. Furthermore, you are wrong on both points. This conversation is exhausted and I will not respond to you again.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM

8,384 posts, read 8,499,475 times
Quote:
Your reading comprehension is low if you can't separate clauses referring to separate things which you took out of context from the thread. One clause refers to living in CA, the other refers to going to LA dozens of times. In the other sentence, it refers to living in several denser cities, not just in CA. Where is the confusion? Just in your mind I suppose.

What city was that?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM

5,384 posts, read 7,725,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
LA is NOT urban, anyone who thinks so has not been to NYC, Paris, London, HK, Tokyo, Chicago, etc.
Goes to show you haven't actually been to LA.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 968,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Goes to show you haven't actually been to LA.
Unfortunately, I have been to LA five times if I count correctly. This was four times too many.

Goes to show you that you need to travel more. You have urban in your back doorstep, go to Brooklyn this week and hang out then come back and compare BK to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or