Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
LA and Houston KILL Chicago. Try sitting in traffic for 2 hours trying to get across town when it should really only take 30 minutes.
You know professional analysts do this research every year and Chicago is almost always top 2 or 3, so this statement can't be true all of the time. I actually want to say Chicago was #1 from the latest poll that demonstrated total hours wasted in traffic...If I can find the data I'll provide the link.

Edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...26786&title=_1_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
You know professional analysts do this research every year and Chicago is almost always top 2 or 3, so this statement can't be true all of the time. I actually want to say Chicago was #1 from the latest poll that demonstrated total hours wasted in traffic...If I can find the data I'll provide the link.

Edit: Worst Traffic Congestion In The U.S.: Chicago Ranked Most Congested (PHOTOS)_
These things change every year as systems change, new things get implemented and stuff, but yes in the lastest ranking I saw Chicago owned it with 70 hours spent annually in delays and $1733 bucks per driver was incurred due to these delays.

LA was two spots below Chicago with 7 less hrs spent in delays.
Houston was behind LA with 58hrs delay. DC was the second place winner with 68 hrs of delay a year.

San Francisco, Boston, DFW, Seattle, ATL and NY rounded out the list, all with delay hrs in the 40's.

Top 10 most congested cities in U.S. | SmartPlanet

Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
The one saving grace in Chicago is that while the traffic sucks, there's a large population that doesn't even have to deal with it, over 1 million rides a day on the trains. I can't imagine those people in the burbs if they actually had to drive downtown instead of Metra. The people really screwed are those with reverse commutes who don't work by train stations in the suburbs, and those people who live in the suburbs and then work in another suburb far away.

Of course it's funny cause when you google "most congested cities", all the lists are in totally different orders, but the top 10 normally contain the same cities. The only big factor that changes it up a lot is if they take into account how many people use public transit and don't have to spend any time in traffic as opposed to just looking at those who drive.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 PM

13 posts, read 24,368 times
Jackson,MS

I-55 Southbound towards Downtown starting at County Line Rd.-Morning Rush Hour

(Reversed in the afternoon rush hour).

Stupid Suburbanites!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
I couldn't imagine driving downtown from the suburbs every single day in any of those listed cities. How do people deal with that everyday? Ugh. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, but wow.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Last Thursday, I drove from Southern Maryland to Downtown DC in the morning and back in the afternoon... The distance is a little over 20 miles each way... That day, I spent almost 5 hours driving!!!!!!!! 2+ hours in the morning, 2+ in the afternoon... And it was all only over a light sprinkle.

Washington DC takes the cake for traffic!!!! Thursday reminded me why I moved into the city... BECAUSE I HATE DRIVING! Nothing beats taking the Metro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City